DeadPoolX

Two issues in Canada that I don't understand

78 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Snow tires work better in the snow than all season. 4WD's work better than snow tires. I say Quebec should mandate that everyone drive an SUV. :hehe:

I have been reading this thread and have to say it's quite informative. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to this topic. I do have a couple of questions though, seeing as you all have piqued my interest. First, when there are separation referendums, is this only voted on by residents of Quebec? I suspect they are, which leads to my secondary questions: How could they legitimately secede if they can barely get a plurality of people in the very province that wishes to separate to approve of it?

No, we had to vote across Canada.

From my point of view, even if they could manage to muster a winning vote, the ramifications would be an absolute nightmare. Is the threat of a separation a real threat, or is it just blustering for more autonomy in the province?

French Quebecers were seriously concerned about losing their culture and language because english had pretty much taken over the province. They see themselves as a distinct society, and they are. They felt like the rest of Canada wasn't listening to them. They really did want to separate.

iagree.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
They felt like the rest of Canada wasn't listening to them. .

*cough* whiners *cough*

:D

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Well personally I think if they want to separate and it passes a vote, they should be able to leave and they can have the land too!

I'm not saying that in a flippant way, if they people of Quebec really did want that, the majority, then I say why not.

I would have to disagree, even if the majority wanted it, there are still people who live there, who have built their lives there who don't want to separate. Quebec needs to realize that they can't become their own country, first of all, land treaties, much of Quebec doesn't even "belong" to Quebec, it belongs to the natives. And we all know what happens when you piss off natives in Canada. A war would break out, and it wouldn't be pretty.

If they want to seperate, then they can take their francophone a$$es and move down to the southern tip and take that bit. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

It really wouldn't be an easy process. Yes, there are many industries and natural resources in Quebec..however, to sustain yourself as a developed nation is entirely a different thing.

Borders within our own country? Would they charge us tax and duty? Who would be on board to trade with such a tiny nation that would essentially be taking baby steps in trying to become it's own segregated place?

I just think it's a shame people feel they are not an important part of Canada and could be without the rest of us. I believe we need each other.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
If they want to seperate, then they can take their francophone a$$es and move down to the southern tip and take that bit. :P

Isn't that owned by First Nations? LOL

Pretty much pockets everywhere of First Nation land in Quebec but especially up North. They would have to make a great deal in order to win them over but I doubt it would happen because first nations have fought so hard to get what little rights they already have. Anyways politics aside, Quebec doesn't own most of its land. So they can stop their whining. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh no doubt it's a shame and it is mind boggling the amount of reorganization it would take.

As for the land treaties, if they don't own the land then they will have to negotiate or leave it behind - not our problem.

The majority rules in a democracy. So I say if the majority want it then let them have it - however, for all practical purposes it is probably impossible. Until someone actually does the math (ie: show us your plan) - then they should just...umm...shut up.

Timeline
Until someone actually does the math (ie: show us your plan) - then they should just...umm...shut up.

Yeah it seems that is what has happened since 1995. Hasn't been much ultra-nationalism going around to my knowledge. But all it takes is that one person...

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I remember when it was all about the Los Angeles Lakers vs the Boston Celtics. Those were the pre-Jordan years. :P

Welcome to 2009, The Lakers and Celtics have been the best teams in the NBA for the last two season :P

I believe there were 6 championships won by either the Lakers or Celtics while Michael Jordan was a player :P

The logistics of Quebec seceding is astronomical, if not downright impossible. I don't think those who rattle their sabres over the issue truely grasp this. At least it is a peaceful movement, and hasen't devolved into a N. Ireland situation.

Timeline
The logistics of Quebec seceding is astronomical, if not downright impossible. I don't think those who rattle their sabres over the issue truely grasp this. At least it is a peaceful movement, and hasen't devolved into a N. Ireland situation.

FLQ?

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: Timeline

FLQ?

OMG, I was with some business associates one time..... I can't recall what we were discussing but I said "Remember the FLQ crisis?" One of the younger guys said "I don't remember it but we learned about it in History." I almost flattened him. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

FLQ?

:blush:

I had to look that up. Never heard of them before.

No tires will work on ice!

Not even the very best snow tires.

FLQ: there was great documentary (well, dramatization) of the kidnappings and what happened...I will try to locate the name of it.

Good to watch for historical perspective.

Kanawaki (spelling?), one of the many native "reserves", is just SouthWest of Montreal.

I have friends there.

Quebec cannot put one over on them, remember the Oka incident?

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline
No tires will work on ice!

Not even the very best snow tires.

FLQ: there was great documentary (well, dramatization) of the kidnappings and what happened...I will try to locate the name of it.

Good to watch for historical perspective.

Kanawaki (spelling?), one of the many native "reserves", is just SouthWest of Montreal.

I have friends there.

Quebec cannot put one over on them, remember the Oka incident?

:star:

Yep. My mom went to Oka during the protest.

Canada's first nations is different from the first nation's down here, up there, they just don't take #######. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
OMG, I was with some business associates one time..... I can't recall what we were discussing but I said "Remember the FLQ crisis?" One of the younger guys said "I don't remember it but we learned about it in History." I almost flattened him. :lol:

maxine_computer.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.