Kathryn41

Child born on flight over Canada deemed Canadian citizen

26 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline
I'm surprised the airline even let her board the flight.

Exactly. I saw this last week and was scratching my head. Why would you choose to travel at 9 months and why would someone LET you travel at 9 months? Think of the liability of the airline if something had gone with the baby? It just seems really odd to me.

Not to mention, now you have a wacky situation with where the child is born VS citizenship, etc. What a silly thing to do in my opinion.

This happened on NW airlines (which Delta just merged with) I work for Delta and we were told that the woman was a "big girl" and it was hard to even tell she was even pregnant.

Its a rule that if you look like your 8 months pregnant that the airline can deny you from bording. With her it was hard to even tell she was pregnant so no one questioned her.

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ K-1¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 07/05/06 - Met Hayz online by accident

~ 03/30/08 - Packet sent to VSC

~ 04/22/08 - NOA1 issued - Yeah they took it this time

~ 05/22/08 - Touch

~ 07/25/08 - Touch (showed about 1pm on the USCIS site)

~ 07/25/08 - NOA2 sent (must have been later in the day - noticed it on 7/26)

~ 09/10/08 - INTERVIEW - VISA APPROVED ! ! ! !

~ 09/12/08 - VISA RECEIVED

~ 10/17/08 - Arrival in the USA (JFK POE)

~ 10/31/08 - MARRIED! ! !

¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ AOS¸.•'´¯) .•:*¨

~ 03/26/09 - Sent AOS (I-485, I-765, I-131)

~ 03/27/09 - AOS packet signed for by V BUSTAMANTE

~ 04/02/09 - NOA for AOS/ EAD / Travel Doc

~ 04/03/09 - Check cashed

~ 04/25/09 - Biometrics

~ 04/20/09 - Transferred to CSC

~ 04/25/09 - Transfer notice received in the mail

~ 04/27/09 - Arrived at CSC

~ 05/09/09 - Employment Auth / Travel Document Approved

~ 05/12/09 - AP approved - without an interview

~ 05/23/09 - Welcome letter received

~ 06/05/09 - GREEN CARD RECEIVED! ! !

~ 09/11/11 - DIVORCE - DIVORCE - DIVORCE

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

This is from the article...

"Delta Air Lines, which owns Northwest, does not impose travel restrictions on pregnant women, but it does recommend that women in their final month of pregnancy consult a doctor before flying."

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

my mom's labours from start to finish were at the most 7 hours or so...

Interesting. I wonder what would motivate her to do that? The flight was only 6 hours old when she went into labour. From my experience with childbirth, that means she would have been well into labour before she even boarded the flight. But, obviously, all child birth experiences are not the same. She could be one one of those Moms who just drops them out in 20 minutes. lol. The other interesting aspect is that she boarded in Amsterdam. If she was looking to have her child born to another citizenship The Netherlands is a pretty good place to be.

Hmmm...On a humourous note: I wonder what would happen if I drove my car and parked it on the Peace Bridge, went into labour there, and our Baby is born there....Our Baby will be Canadian and American then, as the bridge is both Canadian and American...Then again, I could just go the "simple route" and register an American birth to a Canadian parent with the Canadian Consulate instead...rofl.... :rofl:

Your baby will be Canadian and American whether you give birth on the Peace Bridge or not. :hehe:

On a somewhat humourous/serious note (which I'm kind of freaking out about, help!, anyone have any advice about that here too?): I wonder what would happen if I went into labour and gave birth to our Baby at the local USCIS immigration office. Scary thought really, but it could be a possiblity, as it just so happens that in July 2009 I could be called for an interview at the USCIS office regarding a decision on my I-751 case, and our Baby is due at around the same time (see my signature below). Lol..will they grant me automatic American citizenship in this case (or at least, they better approve my I-751/10yr green card application)...rofl.... :rofl:

Wow. You're really having pregnant mother imagination stretches, aren't you? :lol: The chances of this happening are slim-to-none. I'd start finding something else to worry about.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yeah, sorry if this comes off as somehow insensitive or ingenuine, but someone from Uganda boarding a plane at 8.5 months pregnant? The only accident was letting her on the plane.

I have no problem with people wanting a better life though, so my only issue with her boarding that plane was any possible risk to the child.

I wonder how bummed out she is that the baby is Canadian instead of US? :D

Edited by k34
  • 7/7/08 -- I-129f sent
  • 7/9/08 -- I-129f received at CSC
  • 7/24/08 -- NOA1 (finally!)
  • 12/2/08 -- NOA2 (WOOT!!!!)
  • 12/8/08 -- received at NVC
  • 12/22/08 -- packet 3 (with packet 4 attachment instead of checklist :P)
  • 12/29/08 -- packet 3 sent back with bits and pieces that I pulled together to make up a packet 3
  • 1/5/09 -- actual packet 3 received, but found out by via e-mail that they were satisfied with what I had already provided
  • 2/10/09 -- found out via call to DoS that my interview is scheduled!
  • 3/16/09 -- interview!!!! APROVED!!!
  • 4/7/09 -- MOVE!!!!!!!!
    Crossed at Detroit/Windsor Tunnel... pretty painless, about 45 minutes, inexperienced officer, asked for and received EA stamp
  • 4/13/09 -- Married in New Orleans!!!!!!!!
  • 5/30/09 -- Filed AOS/AP/EAD
  • 6/1/09 -- AOS etc received in Chicago

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"Delta Air Lines, which owns Northwest, does not impose travel restrictions on pregnant women, but it does recommend that women in their final month of pregnancy consult a doctor before flying."

Wow...there aren't even any rules against someone traveling at that time in the pregnancy. I guess it is up to the individual then.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, sorry if this comes off as somehow insensitive or ingenuine, but someone from Uganda boarding a plane at 8.5 months pregnant? The only accident was letting her on the plane.

I have no problem with people wanting a better life though, so my only issue with her boarding that plane was any possible risk to the child.

I'm pretty sure she tried to get a flight to Canada but found out that the only one available was to Boston. From there she would make her way to Canada. When she discovered that she wasn't going to make it in time she looked out the window, saw the Grand Banks, then popped that baby out while she had the chance. I think.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow...there aren't even any rules against someone traveling at that time in the pregnancy. I guess it is up to the individual then.

Most airline tend to have different rules. More often than not, the FAA won't force rules and regulations on airlines unless it involves certain flight issues or passenger safety. A case like this, involving a pregnant woman at nine months, wouldn't come under that classification since it'd be her choice to board the flight. Even if such a rule was implemented to bar near-term pregnant women, I'm sure some sort of lawsuit would result.

These sorts of issues come up time and time again when consideration pregnant women. If you look carefully at some rides at any amusement park, the warning signs suggest that pregnant women (among those with potential health issues) don't go on the ride. They do not, however, implicitly force the woman to avoid it. The one situation where amusement parks do enforce restrictions on rides is when it comes to a child's age and height. I'm sure that was the result of a major lawsuit many years ago.

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Interesting. I wonder what would motivate her to do that? The flight was only 6 hours old when she went into labour. From my experience with childbirth, that means she would have been well into labour before she even boarded the flight. But, obviously, all child birth experiences are not the same.

Nope, they are not. I was only in labor 4.5 hours with my daughter, two of them, I didn't even believe I was in labor, it was just nonsense on the part of my uterus, as had been occuring for only the past 4 weeks. She was my first. Some people have labor where the kid is out the door in less than an hour from the first thought of contraction.

I think it was idiotic of her to fly so late, regardless of the reason. What if there was a serious complication?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm pretty sure she tried to get a flight to Canada but found out that the only one available was to Boston. From there she would make her way to Canada. When she discovered that she wasn't going to make it in time she looked out the window, saw the Grand Banks, then popped that baby out while she had the chance. I think.

:rofl:

You're the bestest!

Donne moi une poptart!

I'm glad, personally; it really should be up to the woman and her doctor, not some airline clerk guessing how far along you are by how much you're showing or a blanket restriction. (Some of my friends have flown in the eighth month but only after having a doctor's checkup to ensure that it's unlikely they'll give birth while on the trip.) It's also not clear whether the baby was early, is it?

That's got to be the weirdest way to get citizenship, ever.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.