Emancipation

War Deserters told to leave Canada..

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
What happened to all those folks that went to Canada to dodge the Viet Nam draft :blink:

They are all still there.. and happy and healthy and enjoying a very quiet living. Canada has no issues with Vietnam draft dodgers.. and rightly so in this particular case!

But were they allowed to return to the USA without any persecution??

they were given a general amnesty after the VN ended.

SUPPORT OUR BOYS IN CANADA.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And this: You dont know much about the military then....you make the other guy die for his country and you protect your buddies.

Not sure what you mean here?

He's paraphrasing General George S. Patton, which said something similar to the men he was commanding. It was a very inspirational speech for the time.

I actually wanted to know what he was getting at.

And flames, I for one appreciate your restraint :thumbs:

Timeline
And this: You dont know much about the military then....you make the other guy die for his country and you protect your buddies.

He's paraphrasing General George S. Patton, which said something similar to the men he was commanding. It was a very inspirational speech for the time.

According to Gen Geoge Patton...the idea was not to die for your country, but to make the other SOB die for his country.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Timeline

According to Gen Geoge Patton...the idea was not to die for your country, but to make the other SOB die for his country.

Yes, I understood what you said, I guess I wasn't being very clear - I wasn't wondering what you said, I was wondering why you said it.

Timeline

Yes, I understood what you said, I guess I wasn't being very clear - I wasn't wondering what you said, I was wondering why you said it.

that is what the military is about....to kill people and break things...

what part dont you understand?

Timeline
Well... in Canada they just need you to have a good slap shot to join the army.... oh and you have to provide your own skates. :P

Not sure on how to take that comment. I'm sure those brave soldiers that past away in Afghanistan had a lot more than a good slap shot!! They gave the Ultimate sacrifice and are missed by many!! Many of these soldiers sacrifice time away from their loved ones, and ask very little in return.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Well sorry, I have lost friends and it isn't a joke to me!! And won't sit on the sideline and take it as a joke.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well sorry, I have lost friends and it isn't a joke to me!! And won't sit on the sideline and take it as a joke.

You know flames, I am not an insensitive person. I have a cousin who is over there, I know people who are over there. Yea we lose people, but at the same time, I don't let it bring me down. We are able to laugh at ourselves. Its the best medicine and therapy.

Don't take what I say so seriously.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Funny how some enjoy freedom, but not willing to sacrifice for it. As it stands now, women can't be drafted.

I tend to think of that as sexist. I really do.

Women have fought for the right to be considered equal in all aspects of life, including the military, and yet... women aren't forced to sign up for the draft. We don't have a draft, obviously, but the point remains that if it was reinstated, women would not be considered as possible draftees.

Women weren't originally considered because of gender-based thinking at the time. It was assumed that men would be better at warfare while the women stayed home. Today, it's a little different and in most areas of life, a woman can do whatever a man can.

Because of this, I fail to see how women can demand equal rights without signing up for the draft, just like men. You can't be fully equal unless you take both the good and the bad.

Well, as I understand it, sexual inequality is rampant in the US military. Typically, women who do serve are typically in support roles and not in active combat. Despite the fact that some women desire these positions. Military logic is just strange sometimes.

As far as I know, women are allowed to take on air combat roles. In other words, they can be pilots (or naval aviators) and go into combat that way. Honestly, I think that's a hell of a lot better than being a soldier on the ground. If you're a pilot, not only are you a commissioned officer, but you can actually get a shower and a decent bed to sleep in after the mission.

Timeline
Funny how some enjoy freedom, but not willing to sacrifice for it. As it stands now, women can't be drafted.

I tend to think of that as sexist. I really do.

Women have fought for the right to be considered equal in all aspects of life, including the military, and yet... women aren't forced to sign up for the draft. We don't have a draft, obviously, but the point remains that if it was reinstated, women would not be considered as possible draftees.

Women weren't originally considered because of gender-based thinking at the time. It was assumed that men would be better at warfare while the women stayed home. Today, it's a little different and in most areas of life, a woman can do whatever a man can.

Because of this, I fail to see how women can demand equal rights without signing up for the draft, just like men. You can't be fully equal unless you take both the good and the bad.

Well, as I understand it, sexual inequality is rampant in the US military. Typically, women who do serve are typically in support roles and not in active combat. Despite the fact that some women desire these positions. Military logic is just strange sometimes.

As far as I know, women are allowed to take on air combat roles. In other words, they can be pilots (or naval aviators) and go into combat that way. Honestly, I think that's a hell of a lot better than being a soldier on the ground. If you're a pilot, not only are you a commissioned officer, but you can actually get a shower and a decent bed to sleep in after the mission.

Aircrew is the way to go!! i was aircrew on the Cp 140 Aurora (P3C) Worked the electronics on the plane. Air Force treats their personnel soo much better. I did the Infantry for 3 years, navy for 9, Air Force wins hands down,lol

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
that is what the military is about....to kill people and break things...

what part dont you understand?

nm, it's all good.

Why is this thread deteriorating?

it's all them usc's in the thread that caused it. ^_^

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.