Emancipation

War Deserters told to leave Canada..

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Of course "volunteers" are preferred. In this crappy economy, I would bet enlistment is up!! I have read articles and know personally of a few cases where soldiers were thinking of gettign out at the end of their contracts, but not now!!

That is basically why the services didnt want to draft...they wanted volunteers...more motivated. They raised the pay and benefits to make enlisting more attractive.

They always try to get you to re-enlist with bonuses. Actually not a bad life...retire after 20 years at age 40 and go out and get a real job and double dip.

I enjoyed my time in the AF, but wasnt interested in making it a career...besides if you arent rated (pilot), you cant get the top jobs and promotions.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
And this: You dont know much about the military then....you make the other guy die for his country and you protect your buddies.

Not sure what you mean here?

He's paraphrasing General George S. Patton, which said something similar to the men he was commanding. It was a very inspirational speech for the time.

I fully realize how important it is for a soldier to be trained in certain ways. Boot camp and the military itself shouldn't be a vacation. However, making others feel like complete ####### -- while perhaps successful in some cases -- can't be the one and only method to producing a good soldier.

Maybe that works when signing up voluntarily. That person opted for it and should know what they're getting into. A civilian who's been forced into the military probably won't respond anywhere near as well, since they didn't volunteer to enter the service. Training really needs to be tailored to the trainees involved. That doesn't mean personal training for individuals, but perhaps a difference in how volunteers and draftees get trained. The mindset between those two groups could be staggering.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh I think a person would respond differently if it meant living or death,lol! Let's face it, a draft is very unlikely in the USA. if it were, something humongous//horrible would have had to happen!

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh I think a person would respond differently if it meant living or death,lol! Let's face it, a draft is very unlikely in the USA. if it were, something humongous//horrible would have had to happen!

We'd be leaving, that's for sure. :lol:

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Funny how some enjoy freedom, but not willing to sacrifice for it. As it stands now, women can't be drafted.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

What happened to all those folks that went to Canada to dodge the Viet Nam draft :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Funny how some enjoy freedom, but not willing to sacrifice for it. As it stands now, women can't be drafted.

I do sacrifice myself every day, working hard and pushing money into this economy. That is my sacrifice that helps make the USA go round n' round. If it wasn't for working people, the country would not work.

Just because I don't wish to fight, it does not mean I don't "sacrifice" for my country. Let's get that straight.

Taking up arms is not the only way one can fight for freedom. Also, freedom in the 20th century? So many of our nations ARE free. We are fighting for freedom any more, we are fighting for greed, money, terrorism, etc. It is really no longer about freedom.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
What happened to all those folks that went to Canada to dodge the Viet Nam draft :blink:

I'm not sure. A bit of info on WIKI on it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_dodger

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_and_the_Vietnam_War

Timeline

I do sacrifice myself every day, working hard and pushing money into this economy. That is my sacrifice that helps make the USA go round n' round. If it wasn't for working people, the country would not work.

Just because I don't wish to fight, it does not mean I don't "sacrifice" for my country. Let's get that straight.

Taking up arms is not the only way one can fight for freedom. Also, freedom in the 20th century? So many of our nations ARE free. We are fighting for freedom any more, we are fighting for greed, money, terrorism, etc. It is really no longer about freedom.

:thumbs: Yes!

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I tend to think of that as sexist. I really do.

Women have fought for the right to be considered equal in all aspects of life, including the military, and yet... women aren't forced to sign up for the draft. We don't have a draft, obviously, but the point remains that if it was reinstated, women would not be considered as possible draftees.

Women weren't originally considered because of gender-based thinking at the time. It was assumed that men would be better at warfare while the women stayed home. Today, it's a little different and in most areas of life, a woman can do whatever a man can.

Because of this, I fail to see how women can demand equal rights without signing up for the draft, just like men. You can't be fully equal unless you take both the good and the bad.

Timeline

I tend to think of that as sexist. I really do.

Women have fought for the right to be considered equal in all aspects of life, including the military, and yet... women aren't forced to sign up for the draft. We don't have a draft, obviously, but the point remains that if it was reinstated, women would not be considered as possible draftees.

Women weren't originally considered because of gender-based thinking at the time. It was assumed that men would be better at warfare while the women stayed home. Today, it's a little different and in most areas of life, a woman can do whatever a man can.

Because of this, I fail to see how women can demand equal rights without signing up for the draft, just like men. You can't be fully equal unless you take both the good and the bad.

Well, as I understand it, sexual inequality is rampant in the US military. Typically, women who do serve are typically in support roles and not in active combat. Despite the fact that some women desire these positions. Military logic is just strange sometimes.

Timeline

If a draft was called, does not necessarily mean it would be for "war" I don't want to go deeply into what an horrendous event it could be, everyone would like to sleep peacefully at night,lol

Timeline

They are all still there.. and happy and healthy and enjoying a very quiet living. Canada has no issues with Vietnam draft dodgers.. and rightly so in this particular case!

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

They are all still there.. and happy and healthy and enjoying a very quiet living. Canada has no issues with Vietnam draft dodgers.. and rightly so in this particular case!

But were they allowed to return to the USA without any persecution??

Timeline

But were they allowed to return to the USA without any persecution??

I don't know any who WANTED to go back.. they are all hippies living in the back woods near where I grew up.. they love Canadian Communism! :lol:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.