Emancipation

War Deserters told to leave Canada..

121 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The nice thing about his job right now in the AF is that if he does deploy I do not have to worry about hime going into combat areas...they don't see any action either...the two times he has deployed its to an island in the middle of the ocean. Ha! more like a vacation. Which I guess the only downfall to that is me sitting at home in the US in the middle of winter or fall( doesn't matter which season LOL)being jealous that on his off time he is scuba diving or playing beach volleyball!! Grrrrr!!! My fiance was actually thinking of getting out in March after his 6 years, he was so fed up...but the current economic situation had alot to do with his decision to stay in, got orders to NE and well that and they were offering reinlistment bonuses, which is going to help to be a great start to our married life. Who know after another 6 years though? We will see!

The Island wasn't Diego Garcia by chance?? :) That's where hubby was stationed for a year. He said it wasn't the end of the earth, but you could see it from there :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
male citizens/nationals who are from 18 & less than 26 years of age

Permanent residents too. I made sure to move to the US after I was 26. I think it's ridiculous that they would make non citizens go to war.

Hmm, well what really wouldn't be fair is to have all the advantages of the country (barring voting) with none of the responsibility. Plus I imagine they figure, since you are an immigrant, if you don't like it you can leave.

My friend's husband (in Canada) was sent to Vietnam during that era. He was a Canadian attending school in the US and they drafted him. It really quite traumatized him, and he never speaks of it. :(

The Island wasn't Diego Garcia by chance?? :) That's where hubby was stationed for a year. He said it wasn't the end of the earth, but you could see it from there :)

:lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
male citizens/nationals who are from 18 & less than 26 years of age

Permanent residents too. I made sure to move to the US after I was 26. I think it's ridiculous that they would make non citizens go to war.

Hmm, well what really wouldn't be fair is to have all the advantages of the country (barring voting) with none of the responsibility. Plus I imagine they figure, since you are an immigrant, if you don't like it you can leave.

My friend's husband (in Canada) was sent to Vietnam during that era. He was a Canadian attending school in the US and they drafted him. It really quite traumatized him, and he never speaks of it. :(

:lol:

Well blah!

I mean personally I don't believe in the draft.

The nice thing about his job right now in the AF is that if he does deploy I do not have to worry about hime going into combat areas...they don't see any action either...the two times he has deployed its to an island in the middle of the ocean. Ha! more like a vacation. Which I guess the only downfall to that is me sitting at home in the US in the middle of winter or fall( doesn't matter which season LOL)being jealous that on his off time he is scuba diving or playing beach volleyball!! Grrrrr!!! My fiance was actually thinking of getting out in March after his 6 years, he was so fed up...but the current economic situation had alot to do with his decision to stay in, got orders to NE and well that and they were offering reinlistment bonuses, which is going to help to be a great start to our married life. Who know after another 6 years though? We will see!

Yep it was, he was deployed there for 4 months. He came back with a nice DARK tan! LOL!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

Yep it was, he was deployed there for 4 months. He came back with a nice DARK tan! LOL!

Hilarious! Hubby brought some amazing pics back.. mostly they look like scenes from LOST. :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Hilarious! Hubby brought some amazing pics back.. mostly they look like scenes from LOST. :)

The pictures were beautiful! He got a local artist on the island to make me a wooden flower momento...it has painted on there operation ******* a picture of the island, the american and british flag and for andrea love brad. I balled when I got in the mail!!

AOS

Sent- 10-21-09

Tracking says Delivered by USPS-10-23-09

Check cashed-10-30-09 (MSC case # on back)

NOA 1 date-10-29-09 (Received Date 10-23-09)

Hard copy NOA - 11-02-09

Touch- 11-03-09

Received bio appt letter-11-07-09(dated 11-03-09)

Bio appt- 11-19-09

Transfer to CSC-11-18-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-19-09

Touch on 485/765- 11-20-09

Hard copy of transfer to CSC- 11-23-09

Touch on 485- 11-24-09 (now processing @ CSC email)

Touch on 485- 11-25-09

Touch on 485- 11-27-09

Touch on 485- 11-30-09

Touch on 485- 12-01-09

Touch on 485- 12-02-09

Touch on 485- 12-03-09

EAD/AP approved-12-18-09

EAD/AP touch- 12-21-09

GC APPROVED!!- 12-21-09

Notice mailed welcoming PR-12-21-09

2nd Card Production ordered email-12-22-09

Approval notice sent-12-28-09

GC arrived in the mail-01-05-10

Done with USCIS until September 14, 2011!!

ROC

Sent: 09-14-11

Received: 09-16-11

Check cashed: 09-21-11

y7nv8l5t.png

Timeline

The only thing I can say about this entire scenario is, ''if you do the crime, you do the time.'' Except joining the military isn't a crime. Basically, if you sign a contract you should honor it. Most people with common sense know what army life consists of, the possibilities and the harms. I think it is a pity that Kimberly Rivera will more than likely be sent to jail, and not just any jail, a MILITARY JAIL. ): I pray for her 3 young children.

dev356pr___.png

Removal of Conditions - January 6, 2012

The only thing I can say about this entire scenario is, ''if you do the crime, you do the time.'' Except joining the military isn't a crime. Basically, if you sign a contract you should honor it. Most people with common sense know what army life consists of, the possibilities and the harms. I think it is a pity that Kimberly Rivera will more than likely be sent to jail, and not just any jail, a MILITARY JAIL. ): I pray for her 3 young children.

However, the problem is...if Kimberly was a "guy", we wouldn't pity him. Women want equal opportunites...hence there are equal consequences.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

Yeah, how many US deserters has Canada sent back now? I can recall at least 3, and previous articles I've read said there could be as many as a few dozen still in Canada awaiting trial.

Why do they keep going there if they know the Canadian government is just going to send them back?

Of course, it takes Canada about 3 years it would appear to get them to trial, so I guess they get 3 years of a taste of Canadian life while they wait. :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Back home there are a bunch of draft dodgers.. people who were going to be sent to the Vietnam war but fled to Canada.. Those families still in large part, keep to themselves, and have a really low profile. Back in my area where I lived they all lived on a dirt road close by each other and for the most part "lived off the land".

Now THAT is a reason that I would say Canada should give people some leeway.. if someone has a moral/ ethical reason why they don't want to enter into the services but is being forced to by the draft. It's a different story than this one.

And I agree with you Carla.. good nuance you are bringing up.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Yeah it's a different story when you are drafted and have no choice. That to me is basically taking away any freedom you have and I would have fled as well.

Voluntary, though, good riddance.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't even understand the idea behind a draft. Sure, I get why it might be used to gain a larger military force, but the entire idea behind it is counter-productive.

Let's say a country -- any country -- has a draft policy or reinstates it. The draft will rip men away from their families, friends and career. Now tell me... how many people would want that? By my count, not too many.

If the military has a force comprised of unwilling soldiers, how well does anyone think they'll work? They don't want to be there. They won't fight well (unless it's to save their lives) and could, in some cases, actually prove to be a hindrance to the soldiers who originally signed up. What Second or First Lieutenant really wishes to have a platoon primarily consisting of soldiers who're merely counting the days until their tour of duty is up? I doubt very many would since he wouldn't be able to entirely rely on them.

This isn't to say that all drafted soldiers are bad or worse than the soldiers who signed up willingly. Some are and some aren't. However, logic would dictate that if someone is forced to do something they don't want, they won't put forth everything they have in order to accomplish it.

Timeline

I think many take for granted their freedom as well as the people that "volunteer" and sign up for their countries Armed Forces! Their is a price to pay for freedom. If all of a sudden (not going to happen) people no longer sign up for the Armed Forces,then what? Countries still need an Armed Forces to protect that freedom. Sure it would suck if a draft was activated, but the consequences may be worse if "enemy forces" took over your country!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I think many take for granted their freedom as well as the people that "volunteer" and sign up for their countries Armed Forces! Their is a price to pay for freedom. If all of a sudden (not going to happen) people no longer sign up for the Armed Forces,then what? Countries still need an Armed Forces to protect that freedom. Sure it would suck if a draft was activated, but the consequences may be worse if "enemy forces" took over your country!!

I tend to agree. However, given the choice, I'd prefer volunteer soldiers over ones who're drafted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.