Emancipation

War Deserters told to leave Canada..

121 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
When my husband signed up, he was aware of the stop-loss on his contract with the military. I cannot remember how long it was for, but he knew for a certain # of years that he could get called back into service once he was formally "out". Never happened, but he was aware of it.

Thank you, Catty. That is all I needed/wanted to know.

They can recall service members until age 60... I deployed to Iraq with several people in their mid to late 50's who hadn't worn a uniform in 10+ years. I know for a fact that the only way an officer can be exempted is if he/she resigns their commission (which again must be approved). I'm not sure about enlisted members but most of the individuals in their 50's I just mentioned were enlisted.

I recall when I was in Iraq we watched one of those zombie movies from a few years ago & we joked that the guys replacing us would be zombies!

:thumbs:

I posted when you have to register for selective service, rather than the draft age.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Im not even sure the age the "draft" ends at, some said at the age of 40??? I'm to lazy to look it up at the selective service web page,lol

male citizens/nationals who are from 18 & less than 26 years of age

Ya thats for registering for the draft, but I thought there was a maximum age they could still call you up. I may be wrong

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Im not even sure the age the "draft" ends at, some said at the age of 40??? I'm to lazy to look it up at the selective service web page,lol

Ya thats for registering for the draft, but I thought there was a maximum age they could still call you up. I may be wrong

Yea like I said for service members that maximum is 60

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Timeline

Yes, 60 for service members, but what about the General public?? Maybe it is just 26, but thought I read somewhere else that it was around mid to late 30's??? Looked briefly on the SS page, but didnt find anything

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay,..so no offense to guys in the 60s because my dad is 57 and in GREAT shape, but what is a 60 year old going to do in the front lines of Iraq?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

If there was a draft, and say one does get chosen, doesn't mean ur off to the front lines!!

Timeline

Very true. My cousin is in Afghanistan in perfect shape but not on the front lines. She's doing other stuff... she never talks about. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

ooohhhhh

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
Very true. My cousin is in Afghanistan in perfect shape but not on the front lines. She's doing other stuff... she never talks about. :P

I assume there is other criteria anyway, they don't send just anyone to fight in the field, I am sure they would have to be mentally/physically fit before they accepted them.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

Well my cousin has been in the navy for 9 years and went in as an engineer so I think they utilize the skills you have. Like if you're a doctor or nurse, they're not going to send you to fight they're going to use you in other ways.

They just send the beefcakes out on the front lines.... KIDDING! :D

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Anyhoo, I have no sympathy for the deserters. Its not like there was a draft and people are being sent against their will. They signed up for it.

It sucks though because the people who decided to ditch their duty are only adding it on to someone elses time over there. Now thats what I call a bunch of a$$holes.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, 60 for service members, but what about the General public?? Maybe it is just 26, but thought I read somewhere else that it was around mid to late 30's??? Looked briefly on the SS page, but didnt find anything

Men age 18-26 must register with the selective service, but since the draft isn't being utilized I don't know how long someone stays on the list.

FamilyGuy_SavingPrivateBrian_v2f_72_1161823205-000.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
This worries me, as my husband is mostly likely going to be working under a 3 year contract as a psychologist for the Air Force. We have been told that if he is 'deployed' it will be for only 3 months out of those 3 years and that he will not be on the 'front' as his job is to deal with the pilots who have PTSD, etc.

How likely is it that the military will pull a fast one and say "Yep, we agreed to 3 years, but guess what! You have to work another 3 years because we decided that's what we want to do"?

If you create a contract for X number of years, it is immoral for the employing body to force you to work longer than those agreed-to number of years.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

That depends. Did he join the Air Force, or is he a contracted civilian? If he's civilian, his contract is up when its up, he can renew if he wants, but, if he actually joins the Force, all military contract law applies.

Age out for volunteering for US military is now 42, so I guess the draft age would be as well. If you were previously a service member, you can be recalled, as someone else mentioned until age 60.

Since James and I met, the Marines have come knocking on his door twice. Both times they asked him to re-up, but both times he was not fit for service. First time he was undergoing cancer treatments, and second time (shortly after the 9/11 attacks) he had just finished cancer treatments. He managed to not have to go back because of cancer. Lucky him? I guess. Of course, he's not 60 yet, and he'd heard that some of his older buddies he served with before had been recalled to go to Iraq. They were looking for ANYONE with combat experience. Didn't matter if they had a beer belly and no hair...well...no hair is kinda the style in the Marines anyhow ;)

But anyhow...I have no sympathy for any of the deserters. When you sign up, if you don't know what you're getting into, you're an idiot. Plain and simple. You sign up to be a soldier, then be a soldier, don't run and hide to the neighbours when you decide war just isn't right. You should have thought of that before you stepped into the recruitment office. Man (or Woman) up and do your fricken job or pay the consequences. I do feel bad for the kids though, they didn't ask for this.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

As I recall from my military days...

Register for draft 18-26

Can be drafted to age 35....but hasnt happened since WWII...if you made it to 27...you were free. Doctors were drafted up to like 29 or so.

If you enlist or serve as an officer...they can call you back if they need your particular skill...even if you are retired. If they do call you back...usually only for 12 months. This is only a last resort if they cant find someone in the Reserves, etc.

Cut-off for initial enlistment was 28 and 1/2.

Contract only guarantees a certain school, etc. The rest is per military law a regs.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.