gigant

will the USCIS see if you have a MORTGAGE??

19 posts in this topic

I think you are going way too far my man,

If CIS asks for mortgage documentation, I will just show it to them; it will just

not show my wife's name on the mortgage application and deed.

The issue here is if CIS will :

-see that there is a mortgage recorded in the last few months

-check the details of the mortgage: if its an investment or a "live in" loan application

- compare the address that we currently live at with the address of this apartment

- question of we live in the new place, if we filed for AR11

fROM The answers given here say that CIS wil NOT KNOW that we are buying this place

as they dont run a credit report UNLESS:

- they ask for most recent rent statements or most recent bills do they ASK FOR the most recent

bills

It is really up to Interview Officer.

In another words, your mileage may varies.

USCIS interview officer may ask for rent agreement or home mortgage document sometimes if it is based on marriage-to-US-citizen case.

Not all of them, but some of them is still trying to see whether the marriage is bona-fide marriage or not.

One of criteria they are using is financial responsibility sharing.

That's what I'm talking about.

For married couple, they usually list both name under mortgage document.

If your wife - US Citizen - is only person in the mortgage, it may be because of credit history or something like that.

I'm just looking at the viewpoint of very conservative USCIS interview officer.

If you have nice Interview Officer, he/she doesn't raise any flag on your case, and doesn't ask for joint account and things like that.

If you want to hear only good side of story, that will be fine.

But you never know what kind of person will be your interview officer.

Some nasty officer may be trying to find any execuse to make you hard without any reason.

Remember that you are under oath to tell the truth during the Interview, and if he/she ask for info, you have to tell the truth.

If they hear something unusual case, you don't know what they are thinking with those clues.

I heard that a lot of people had the trouble because of simple mistake.

Edited by moonhunt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Our I-130/485 interview was easy compared to the N-400, I, as the USC did bring letters from my banks showing they refused joint checking and savings accounts due to the APR, our interviewer didn't even want to see them. She was happy with our marriage license, divorce papers, full physical custody of my wife's daughter, and our thick wedding/reception photo album.

But wasn't the case with the N-400, interviewer wanted to see everything and treated my wife like some kind of terrorists or a spy, but with her name on our home deed, joint checking savings account, joint ownership on our vehicles, life, auto, and health insurance, property tax bill, four years of joint federal returns, joint ownership of our dog, and even both our names on utility bills, had no choice but to approve her. But that was after asking six easy civic questions, and my wife's ability to write, I am a good cook.

Reason I went through all this, wife didn't feel I had to add her name to my home, is that two of her friends, way ahead of us, had problems because of joint ownership, all I can say is that my wife a USC, her friends are still waiting for approval, some more than a year now. Ha, asked my wife about me getting on her foreign property deeds, we are working on it, fair is fair, right?

Well this thread is making me think... I'm the PR, and I will be applying for N400 as soon as I'm eligible. My husband is the USC. We are buying a house now, and my husband's credit score is terrible, and so the mortgage broker told us we should just do it my name (I have a pretty good score). My husband who I love dearly, is extremely irresponsible with money, and so I am considering to not have him on the title of the house (which they can do even though TX is a community property state, something about a 'non-purchasing spouse'). The reason I wouldn't want him on the title, is because it has been demonstrated numerous times in our marriage, that he will have liens put against him, for all kinds of old problems that have come out of the woodwork. For example in 2008, a million dollar lien was put on our joint bank account, and the IRS also came after him, holding $20,000 of refund (from my wages, he is retired so has minimal income) which we are still fighting more than a year later. So frankly, if he's not going to be on the liability, he shouldn't be on the asset, because I could get stuck with a big mortgage and a lien on it too. But perhaps this will come back to bite me later when I naturalize. What do you all think?

AOS: ND - June 5 2006 | RFE - June 15 2006 | FP Notice - June 30 (Rescheduled to Sept 16) | AP ND - August 14 2006| Walk-in FP - Sept 5 (FP cleared next day!) | Interview - Sept 8 2006 (Approved!) | Welcome Letter - Sept 13 | EAD received - Sept 19 (kinda moot since I'm waiting for GC) | GC received - Sept 23 2006 - Woohoo!!

I-751: 06/10/08 Mailed package to VSC direct (per memo instructions) not TSC. The wait begins... | 06/11/08 Package received at VSC (12.12pm) | 06/19/08 Check cashed | 06/20/08 Received NOA1 in the mail - ND is 06/17/08 | 07/10/08 Received Biometrics Appt Letter - ND is 7/7/08 | 07/22/08 Biometrics (had to do ink & paper also...) | 07/22/08 Touched | 07/23/08 Touched | 02/11/09 Transferred to CSC (got email)... | 02/12/09 Touched | 02/20/09 Touched (but no email) | 03/24/09 Approval letter arrives in the mail! Approval date is 3/18/09 from VSC | 04/03/09 Received card, postmarked 3/31 from CSC

N-400: 06/11/09 Mailed to Lewisville Lockbox | 06/12/09 Package received at Lockbox and signed for at 1.31pm | 06/18/09 Check Cashed | 06/19/09 NOA, PD 06/12/09 | 07/06/09 Biometrics letter received, ND is 07/02/09 | 07/24/09 Biometrics appointment | 08/06/09 IL received, ND 08/03/09 | Interview 09/14/09 at 9.30am (approved!) | Oath 10/21/09 | USC

You don't have to have him on title, but he still will be on the deed. That's the thing with community property, you can't escape it. Since he is not on the mortgage loan application, lenders do not require the non-purchasing spouse to be on the title. I would double check with your title company and ask if he will still be on the deed. I havent dealt with TX since 05, but i don't think the laws have changed that way. Most goverments can always come back to get the spouse even if the offending spouse is not tied to the account. When you marry somebody you can also inherit their debt.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.