Conan

Young Fiance?

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiance is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Holy cow! Where are you all meeting these teenage Filipina's at? Is there a club?

yes its an invite only club.

:lol::thumbs: Hopefully that is true for most.

Well this is something I wasn't aware of until I read this thread ... so thanks to the thread creator lol ... ( my fiance is 20, so I guess this is another document we will have to get )

Holy cow! Where are you all meeting these teenage Filipina's at? Is there a club?

Well lucky for us we don't have that big of a age gap lol .... but to answer your question ... I met my fiance through a family member who is married to a philipina .... thus we were introduced and here we are :)

The funny thing about my situation is I was not interested in this kind of ( long distance ) relationship at all .... matter of fact my mind was totally against getting involved in a long distance relationship..... originally I agreed to talk to her merely as a friend .... it is ironic how things happen in a persons life sometimes, I guess it is true you just never know when or how you will finally find the person you've always waited for.

Good for you. :) Did you have any hesitations because of her age?

No none ....

Interesting. Do you know many people from your generation getting married at 20? Just my observation, but it doesn't seem to be very common nowadays. People got married that young out of necessity, but in today's world, getting a college degree out of the way first seems more of a necessity.

When I met my fiance she had just turned 19 and was a little halfway finished with her Bachelors Degree in Nursing.

I had to make the decision (it was a tough one), to let her finish school in PI and get her Nursing Degree in PI, before I filed the K1 Visa. It basically delayed our K1 for over a year.

Now she is 20 with a Bachelors in Nursing, and she scheduled to sit for her NCLEX-RN test next month, that will allow her to be Registered Nurse.

:thumbs: Good for her. :yes:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I dis agree.

If he was marrying an American woman then I would agree. Divorce is commonplace in USA, not in PI.

In America have many times have you heard a woman tell her Husband, I will divorce you and take everything you own?

I have heard this many times.

Have many times have you heard an American Man tell his Wife, I will divorce you and take everything you own?

I have never heard this.

The family court tilted toward a woman, A man is going to get screwed in Family court.

Alimony States - Why does the man have to make monthly payments to a woman after divorce, it crazy in my opinion.

Just a though for this tallcoolone...ALIMONY really sucks! even if the woman left and went with her another man does that mean she deserves alimony still? Even she had been cheating for a while while they were still together? I was really about to start a thread about it but since you brought out in this thread pardon me if I ask.

The existence of the Family Court clearly tells that Divorce is really high in this country. I just hate the idea that because of the parents immaturity the children are the one in suffer.

Vida Taylor

yes, that's true.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

PS to the redneck..if someone ask if she is your daughter say NO she is my wife..dont be ashamed of it!

Why be married to someone younger if you are going to say she is my daughter??

The reason being that that they are more immature is they are very sheltered and not allowed to experience LIFE

Whoa there hoss! You know, when you kick as many dirt clods as I have, you are bound to catch your heal on a stubborn rock, every now and then. You can call it anything you want, but a hog is still a hog.

You don't have to justify yourself to the whole world, just because you feel guilty of robbing a young man of his childhood! Most people really don't care. So, if folks think your fiancee is your son, and my wife is my daughter, then why spend the effort to set them straight? My wife is still going home with me, and your young man is still going home with you.

By the way,

The redneck

Edited by sonomacountygal

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Timeline
PS to the redneck..if someone ask if she is your daughter say NO she is my wife..dont be ashamed of it!

Why be married to someone younger if you are going to say she is my daughter??

The reason being that that they are more immature is they are very sheltered and not allowed to experience LIFE

Whoa there hoss! You know, when you kick as many dirt clods as I have, you are bound to catch your heal on a stubborn rock, every now and then. You can call it anything you want, but a hog is still a hog.

You don't have to justify yourself to the whole world, just because you feel guilty of robbing a young man of his childhood! Most people really don't care. So, if folks think your fiancee is your son, and my wife is my daughter, then why spend the effort to set them straight? My wife is still going home with me, and your young man is still going home with you.

By the way,

The redneck

:rofl::thumbs:

Me and my husband got married here in the Philippines. Take note I was 24 turning 25 back then and yet I still needed to submit parental consent to be signed by either one of my parents (or guardian) and have to appear in the local office before the approval of Marriage License.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Age gap is a NON-ISSUE when it comes to relationships IMO!!! YES, there are generation gaps in certain areas BUT...It all comes down to, IS IT THE RIGHT PERSON or not. My ex-wife was my age and it should have never happened, but I dont regret it for I have three great kids.

FYI ~ General MacArthur's first marriage FAILED to a lady that was his age after 7 years. He later married a lady that was 18 years younger and it lasted almost 30 years till his death in 1964 at the age of 85. She never remarried and stayed loyal to him till her death in 2000 at the age of 101.

JUST ONE EXAMPLE that age gaps can work. Age shouldn't be the measuring stick, maybe measure it by compatibility and commonality!

7522.gif

Timeline
Age gap is a NON-ISSUE when it comes to relationships IMO!!! YES, there are generation gaps in certain areas BUT...It all comes down to, IS IT THE RIGHT PERSON or not. My ex-wife was my age and it should have never happened, but I dont regret it for I have three great kids.

FYI ~ General MacArthur's first marriage FAILED to a lady that was his age after 7 years. He later married a lady that was 18 years younger and it lasted almost 30 years till his death in 1964 at the age of 85. She never remarried and stayed loyal to him till her death in 2000 at the age of 101.

JUST ONE EXAMPLE that age gaps can work. Age shouldn't be the measuring stick, maybe measure it by compatibility and commonality!

I agree that age gap for the most part is inconsequential to the success of a marriage. However, when it comes to age, I do think it is relevant in that marriage requires an emotional maturity in order for it to succeed and is most likely the reason behind PI Law requiring parental consent.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I agree that age gap for the most part is inconsequential to the success of a marriage. However, when it comes to age, I do think it is relevant in that marriage requires an emotional maturity in order for it to succeed and is most likely the reason behind PI Law requiring parental consent.

Agree... :thumbs:

Maturity is the KEY to almost everything we do, with maturity comes better decision making skills, but age doesn't necessarily constitute maturity. We would like to think so, and in most cases its true, but not always. I am 40 and still think Im 25, my Fiancee is 24 and probably thinks she is older than that... so it all equals out in the end.

7522.gif

Filed: Timeline

Agree... :thumbs:

Maturity is the KEY to almost everything we do, with maturity comes better decision making skills, but age doesn't necessarily constitute maturity. We would like to think so, and in most cases its true, but not always. I am 40 and still think Im 25, my Fiancee is 24 and probably thinks she is older than that... so it all equals out in the end.

We are WAY off point with this discussion. This is a thread about parental consent. Cookie Monster! You have several threads dedicated to age differences. Let's get back to answering the original poster's question! Thank you! :)

Well said and I could not have stated this better!!

Age gaps like this poster stated are irrelevant to marriage success. Both parties are mature enough to not only make the proper decision to marry, but have the maturity to make it work.

In our case, the age gap is 10 years. When we married, she was 27 and I was 37. I cannot see a major difference if we yielded back 7-8 years on this judgment call.

I will suggest that all parties should be at least 21.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I feel like you wanted to put my and my fiances relationship on debate here in this thread lol ..... which I am not willing to do. It is our relationship and it isn't up for debate. I also don't feel like I need to justify our relationship.

What I do want to point out ..... so what is this magical age where a person all of a sudden is "mature" enough for marriage? Do you realize how silly that sounds? Every person is different, everyone experiences different things through out their life. It is up to a individual if they are ready for marriage and up to a couple if they are ready to marry each other. There are many people both men and women who are mature and wise beyond their years and vise versa. You as a person should know this about your other half and know if the two of you are at a similar maturity level in the first place.

The whole wait until you are 30 years old to marry thing is a more recent culture norm of the US. I would say in the last 20-30 years this has became the norm, it wasn't before that.

Met: November 05, 2008

Met in Cebu first time: March 27, 2009

Engaged: March 29, 2009

Filed K1 Fiance Visa : April 15, 2009

Fly to the US Finally: October 10, 2009

Married : November 07, 2009

Pregnant YAY : Baby due July 03, 2010 :)

File AOS/EAD/Travel: February 26, 2010

EAD/Travel approved: April 26, 2010

Our Baby Boy Born: June 24, 2010

AOS approved YAY! Green Card Received October 4, 2010

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I feel like you wanted to put my and my fiances relationship on debate here in this thread lol ..... which I am not willing to do. It is our relationship and it isn't up for debate. I also don't feel like I need to justify our relationship.

What I do want to point out ..... so what is this magical age where a person all of a sudden is "mature" enough for marriage? Do you realize how silly that sounds? Every person is different, everyone experiences different things through out their life. It is up to a individual if they are ready for marriage and up to a couple if they are ready to marry each other. There are many people both men and women who are mature and wise beyond their years and vise versa. You as a person should know this about your other half and know if the two of you are at a similar maturity level in the first place.

The whole wait until you are 30 years old to marry thing is a more recent culture norm of the US. I would say in the last 20-30 years this has became the norm, it wasn't before that.

Well said! I totally agree! Many young marriages lasted in the old days and older people marrying in the u.s. do not last. I got married when I was in my late 20's and was STILL NOT READY FOR IT. It absolutely depends on the person. Looking back, I don't think it had anything to with age, but rather, I did not love that man 100% the way I should've. The REASONS for marriage matter more than the age. Now I am in my 30's and my fiancee is in his early 20's and you know what? He is more mature than I am! He calms me down when I am crabby and talks about spirituality and philosophy. He is much wiser than me.

Bug

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.