Laura+Tom

The 2009 United Kingdom Interview Thread!

3,097 posts in this topic

Sounds great, but it won't hurt to get it notorized just in case? I'd hate to get to the embassy for them to request it notorized then.....or am I just being paranoid :wacko:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Sounds great, but it won't hurt to get it notorized just in case? I'd hate to get to the embassy for them to request it notorized then.....or am I just being paranoid :wacko:

Hopefully the embassy will be clued up on the new forms or notice that there is no line for the notary to sign on anymore.

Timeline

if i remember rightly, there isn't a space for the notary to stamp the form in the new one...

have you looked at it?

if i remember rightly, there isn't a space for the notary to stamp the form in the new one...

have you looked at it?

Funnily enough I printed one off at the weekend, but as I was not familiar with the previous form it didn't register that there wasn't a 'box' or anything for them to stamp. Nor am I familiar with getting thengs 'notorized' in general, I just assumed they would witness signatures and stamp it anywhere! Having spent hours on here reading peoples posts about RFE's I wouldn't put it past them to request this kind of thing at the last minute. I know i've spent too long stewing over possible reasons already why they may give us an RFE so I guess i'm just being negative about this too! Robbie was not looking forward to going to his bank in a very small town for all of the nosey women there to know his business anyway, so he'll be very pleased to hear of this latest development!! :D

Timeline

have you looked at it?

Funnily enough I printed one off at the weekend, but as I was not familiar with the previous form it didn't register that there wasn't a 'box' or anything for them to stamp. Nor am I familiar with getting thengs 'notorized' in general, I just assumed they would witness signatures and stamp it anywhere! Having spent hours on here reading peoples posts about RFE's I wouldn't put it past them to request this kind of thing at the last minute. I know i've spent too long stewing over possible reasons already why they may give us an RFE so I guess i'm just being negative about this too! Robbie was not looking forward to going to his bank in a very small town for all of the nosey women there to know his business anyway, so he'll be very pleased to hear of this latest development!! :D

it's perfectly normal to fret about silly things that could hold up your noa2 but try not to worry too much or you will go crazy! ;)

i'm sure things will go smoothly for you. i hope you hear something soon.

Well, just to confuse me even more, I checked out the UCSIS info on the I-134, and it says this:

Where to File :

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Once the form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed.

Now, I do have a hard time making sense of the wording on their forms, but the fact that it still says 'by a notary public' makes me think its better to just get it all notarized anyway? :blink:

Timeline
Well, just to confuse me even more, I checked out the UCSIS info on the I-134, and it says this:

Where to File :

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Once the form is affirmed, it should be mailed to the same USCIS office where the application was filed.

Now, I do have a hard time making sense of the wording on their forms, but the fact that it still says 'by a notary public' makes me think its better to just get it all notarized anyway? :blink:

there isn't a space for the stamp and signature on the new form as there is on the old one (we used the old one) so i suppose the consular officer does it instead.

if you read the instructions for the I-134 it says this;

Execution of Affidavit

If you are sponsoring more than one alien, you must submit a separate Form I-134 for each alien. You must sign Form I-134 in your full name. (Note: Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law). For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it.

i hope this helps. :)

I know what you are saying makes sense, I just wish they made their forms crystal clear.....I guess thats just far too much to ask for.....mind you, I guess alot of people would use a lawyer!

Edited by Kirsten UK

Timeline
I know what you are saying makes sense, I just wish they made their forms crystal clear.....I guess thats just far too much to ask for.....mind you, I guess alot of people would use a lawyer!

:lol:

the 'clear as mud' instructions will continue, unfortunately. luckily you don't need a lawyer as you have vjers to help you. :)

It's the new rightful form. I think that maybe all the webpages might need updating with their instructions. But the instructions that go with the form are pretty clear about no need to notarize. I used the instructions for the I-864 as a guide when I was filling out the I-134. If you are using the new form, take the instructions with you with these words highlighted and also point out the date on the bottom of the form if you're that paranoid.

Execution of Affidavit

If you are sponsoring more than one alien, you must submit a separate Form I-134 for each alien. You must sign Form I-134 in your full name. (Note: Signing Form I-134 is under penalty of perjury under U.S. law). For this reason, it is not necessary to sign Form I-134 before a notary, nor to have your signature notarized after you sign it.

If you didn't save the old form to your computer, then you're going to have to look around to find a copy of it anyway. This is the wording of the old oath with the place for the notary.

Oath or Affirmation of Sponsor.

I acknowledge that I have read Part lll of the Instructions, Sponsor and Alien Liability, and am aware of my responsibilitiesas a sponsor under the Social Security Act, as amended, and the Food Stamp Act, as amended.

I swear (affirm) that I know the contents of this affidavit signed by me and that the statements are true and correct.

Signature of sponsor _________________________________________

Subscribed and sworn to (affirmed) before me this _________ day of_______________ , _________

at _________________________________________________. My commission expires on __________________

Signature of Officer Administering Oath ___________________________ Title ________________

(that would be the notary public)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As far as the affidavit of support. Im trying to get my things ready for my finacee. I have bank statements two employee letters because i have two jobs but just started those jobs I started one job in august and my new one about a week ago. I also receive child support from my ex husband. I cant give tax returns because last year I made no money didnt have a job and my ex husband didnt pay me. He pays me now. I thought you only need tax returns if you were self employed. I can give pay stubs for both jobs and bank statements and a copy of how much I get for child support is that good enough. That should bring me over the poverty limit I make about 34,000. That includes me and finacee and my three kids. If anyone knows that would be great. Thank you very much.

As far as the affidavit of support. Im trying to get my things ready for my finacee. I have bank statements two employee letters because i have two jobs but just started those jobs I started one job in august and my new one about a week ago. I also receive child support from my ex husband. I cant give tax returns because last year I made no money didnt have a job and my ex husband didnt pay me. He pays me now. I thought you only need tax returns if you were self employed. I can give pay stubs for both jobs and bank statements and a copy of how much I get for child support is that good enough. That should bring me over the poverty limit I make about 34,000. That includes me and finacee and my three kids. If anyone knows that would be great. Thank you very much.

When you say last year I made no money, are you speaking of the year 2007 as your last tax return? I think it would be good to included a written explanation of why you did not file taxes for 2007, even if it's a simple as saying my income in 2007 was less than $8750 so therefore I was not required to file. That's the threshold level for 2007. Did you know that by not filing a return, you might have given away $600? There was the Economic Stimulus Package where each person got $600 (up to certain income levels) but you had to file a tax return to get it, even if you did not normally need to file. It's too late to get it now...ended in October I believe. But the good news is, there is a Rebate Recovery thing for 2008 taxes where if you didn't get yours for 2007, you can get it in 2008 if you fill out that part on the new return. Also, with kids you should be able to file as Head of Household which has it's advantages and the Economic Stimulus Package paid $300 per child. (Unless your ex was claiming the kids on his return, and if he wasn't supporting them, he shouldn't have.) Sorry, getting way off topic here.

I think with no income in 2007, they are going to look your things over with alot of questions in their mind. So whatever you submit in the way of documentation, make it overly clear that you are in a good financial position now. And a co-sponsor wouldn't be a bad idea. You could even keep the co-sponsor documents back as your ace-in-the-hole just in case. If they look like they don't want to approve your financials, then he could pull out the co-sponsor papers. And hopefully you can do your 2008 taxes before you submit the I-134. If you started work in August and got child support, then you would have some income to show in calendar year 2008. And don't forget to claim those kids and get your $600 + 3x$300 (unless he got the kid's money last year). If you work just a little bit, you often get Earned Income Credit where the government pays you money instead of you paying taxes.

Good luck.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As far as the affidavit of support. Im trying to get my things ready for my finacee. I have bank statements two employee letters because i have two jobs but just started those jobs I started one job in august and my new one about a week ago. I also receive child support from my ex husband. I do claim my kids on my taxes because when pigs can fly will I allow my exhusband claim the kids it is not in our divorce agreement that he can and he hardly sees them so they are with me most of the time. I cant give tax returns because last year I made no money didnt have a job and my ex husband didnt pay me. He pays me now. I thought you only need tax returns if you were self employed. I can give pay stubs for both jobs and bank statements and a copy of how much I get for child support is that good enough. That should bring me over the poverty limit I make about 34,000. That includes me and finacee and my three kids. If anyone knows that would be great. Thank you very much.

When you say last year I made no money, are you speaking of the year 2007 as your last tax return? I think it would be good to included a written explanation of why you did not file taxes for 2007, even if it's a simple as saying my income in 2007 was less than $8750 so therefore I was not required to file. That's the threshold level for 2007. Did you know that by not filing a return, you might have given away $600? There was the Economic Stimulus Package where each person got $600 (up to certain income levels) but you had to file a tax return to get it, even if you did not normally need to file. It's too late to get it now...ended in October I believe. But the good news is, there is a Rebate Recovery thing for 2008 taxes where if you didn't get yours for 2007, you can get it in 2008 if you fill out that part on the new return. Also, with kids you should be able to file as Head of Household which has it's advantages and the Economic Stimulus Package paid $300 per child. (Unless your ex was claiming the kids on his return, and if he wasn't supporting them, he shouldn't have.) Sorry, getting way off topic here.

I think with no income in 2007, they are going to look your things over with alot of questions in their mind. So whatever you submit in the way of documentation, make it overly clear that you are in a good financial position now. And a co-sponsor wouldn't be a bad idea. You could even keep the co-sponsor documents back as your ace-in-the-hole just in case. If they look like they don't want to approve your financials, then he could pull out the co-sponsor papers. And hopefully you can do your 2008 taxes before you submit the I-134. If you started work in August and got child support, then you would have some income to show in calendar year 2008. And don't forget to claim those kids and get your $600 + 3x$300 (unless he got the kid's money last year). If you work just a little bit, you often get Earned Income Credit where the government pays you money instead of you paying taxes.

Good luck.

Thank you very much I did file for my 2007 taxes but since my ex husband didnt pay me I only made 3000 and had no job i didnt qualify for the stimulus check and believe me i was not happy. Because i had to claim only the amount he gave me i should of gotten it but they told me i cant I even went down the irs office where I live to see if I could get it and because it was child support and alimony I am not entitled to it because it was only 3000. I mean I can submit that in anyway just in case I dont know if I will get a chance to file for my 2008 taxes before my fiancee goes for his interview and even if I did because I just started a job in august it is not a full year so I didnt make much. I will get a co-sponsor just in case. If they use it great if they dont need it even better. Because I will make more than enough this year for 2009. This is just very stressful in a nut shell. But I thank you so much for the advice. Will keep that in mind.

Edited by skeez&titanic

Thank you very much I did file for my 2007 taxes but since my ex husband didnt pay me I only made 3000 and had no job i didnt qualify for the stimulus check and believe me i was not happy. Because i had to claim only the amount he gave me i should of gotten it but they told me i cant I even went down the irs office where I live to see if I could get it and because it was child support and alimony I am not entitled to it because it was only 3000. I mean I can submit that in anyway just in case I dont know if I will get a chance to file for my 2008 taxes before my fiancee goes for his interview and even if I did because I just started a job in august it is not a full year so I didnt make much. I will get a co-sponsor just in case. If they use it great if they dont need it even better. Because I will make more than enough this year for 2009. This is just very stressful in a nut shell. But I thank you so much for the advice. Will keep that in mind.

I understand. I know about the $3000 thing to get the rebate. If you can show a better 2008 than 2007, I would get those done if at all possible and not mention 2007 taxes. With some good evidence for your current income, it may be just fine. I think some people fill out their I-134 income with what their tax return says. Be sure you use the amount you will get in a years time based on your current monthly income. That should look pretty good, but the lack of income in previous years may give them reason to be reluctant to approve you without a co-sponsor, which is a pain to have to ask of somebody. Don't stress. It'll work out.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.