one...two...tree

The Right Wing's Latest Argument Against Public Health Care -- We'd Like It Too Much

134 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
What you are suggesting is that I and others are against things such as emergency services or....

enforcement of laws.

No, quite the contrary. What I'm suggesting is that you and others won't acknowledge that a healthy population is just as important as a low crime rate and keeping property safe.

All these services perform a mutually beneficial service so a community might (or might not) choose to fund them.

Healthcare as it dreamed about is neither emergency nor a circumstance which directly impacts the rights or liberty of others.... unless you are talking about communicable type illnesses which

would hold a mutually beneficial aid to the general public.

Well I guess this is the real sticking point. I and others believe that health care is just AS important to our society as the other civil services I've mentioned. And as for emergency services, there's a lot of evidence to show that the state of this country's health care affects our competitiveness in the global economy as well as indirectly affecting our own national security.

But even if you don't agree that it's as important, my point still stands: we as a country are willing to pay for social services, and we're willing to spread the costs of those services out between ourselves. So this really negates the whole argument that socialized health care is bad because it makes your neighbor pay for your care.

Actually you could find "real examples" of existing big Govt... to justify More big Govt.

Care to take another swing at it?

:star:

Public education, the military, transportation infrastrucutre, etc etc.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
you keep on thinking that. :wacko:

Okay then. In the meantime, until you've actually served I would thank you to stop hating on our troops. They keep pinkos like you safe in your bed at night.

nowhere did i state or imply any hate for the troops. keep on trying though, mox. it's amusing me.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Another thought;

I read yesterday that about 1/3 of healthcare is involved with Govt right now.

Between medicare/cade, the VA, military, Govt employees etc.

Why is it they don't start with that group of millions right there and lets see how they do in say ten years time.

If it is cheaper and better, everyone will want to get on board.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Another thought;

I read yesterday that about 1/3 of healthcare is involved with Govt right now.

Between medicare/cade, the VA, military, Govt employees etc.

Why is it they don't start with that group of millions right there and lets see how they do in say ten years time.

If it is cheaper and better, everyone will want to get on board.

1/3 of health care? Not sure what that means.

But if you want to fractionate it to some 'total' expenditures vs providers analysis try remembering that these services are what they are because those services are already 'paid for.' What exactly is there to start? Are you saying their coverage sucks?

Of course- you could compare it to actual cost of services, but then your argument would swing back since costs in this country are exorbitant and more involved in overhead and artificial costs rather than services per se.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

I will agree with the premise of this threads title.

"The Right Wing's Latest Argument Against Public Health Care -- We'd Like It Too Much"

Any time people can get used to getting something free.. or even a sweet deal, they tend to not want to give it up.... well, Duh!

I'm quite sure the vast majority of people don't look so longingly at social healthcare because they get to be the one to pay more.

Every single person wants to pay a minimum in payment and be covered for everything.

By the same token, the Right-wing does not want the Govt to start paying everyones mortgage either... if the lefties passed that law, I am sure people would like it too much to stop it as well

If the question is: will our lower natures allow us to push the cost of medical attention onto others to pay?

See we are not even talking about setting up some "Extreme medical conditions" coverage law... n,n,noooo, we want a whole big program we can all ride on.

How is your ride gonna get paid for?

Could one of you -search engine wizards- find out the average profit per year for a healthcare insurance company, I thick we will see, if these companies worked "at-cost" not much would change.

One of the main themes of your posting seems to be the increase in cost to you of a government-run single-payer health care system. I respect that argument. I understand not wanting to pay any more than you already pay for your health care delivery. What I don't understand is your lack of faith in the ingenuity and ability of this country to do things as well, or better, than other countries. All it takes is a look around at all of the other western industrialized countries, and you will discover that they not only have better health care delivery, but it is also less expensive than ours.

I believe this great country could do things better than those countries. We have the advantage of being able to look at their health care systems and choosing the features of those systems which would work for us. I would like to think that you would support such a single-payer plan, in principle, if you felt assured that it would cost you the same (or less), and your benefits would not change.

Right now, government-sponsored health care in this country is approaching 50% of all health care. It is not as big of a jump to a single-payer system as you may think it is. And please do not harbor the illusion that you do not already pay for those who have no health care plan. I believe it has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread...but it bears repeating: when the uninsured finally get sick enough to go to the emergency room, the cost of their care is largely shouldered by you and me...at emergency room prices. A bit of inexpensive preventive care for them would save a lot of money. Another well-known cost savings associated with single-payer systems is their decreased paperwork and overhead. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I work for a Fortune 100 company. I deal with a few Fortune 500 companies. After having seen how these companies operate (including mine), I can assure you that all large corporations are not more efficient than all government programs. Private or public...let's not paint everything with a broad brush. I believe that if we put our minds to it, we could create a health care system that is the envy of the world. Personally, I would not mind paying a bit more for world-class health care for everyone.

Lastly, it needs to be pointed out that, under the current system, anyone with health insurance, no matter how good their policy is, can run out of coverage. All it takes is one catastrophic accident, illness, or disease. It happens to families every day in this country. Everything they spent years working for is gone. We can change that if we want to.

Lastly, it needs to be pointed out that, under the current system, anyone with health insurance, no matter how good their policy is, can run out of coverage. All it takes is one catastrophic accident, illness, or disease. It happens to families every day in this country. Everything they spent years working for is gone. We can change that if we want to.

Great post, and an excellent point. Even the best health coverage can run out. That's hardly right or fair.

Want my pay-pal? I could really use some help!

I would if I didn't know that you'd spend it all on booze. Saw you the other day...

beer-beggar.jpg

At least you're honest. ;)

Isnt this a pic of one of the poor ppl you "CARE" so much about? A perfect illustration of a hypocrit!

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'm quite sure the vast majority of people don't look so longingly at social healthcare because they get to be the one to pay more. Every single person wants to pay a minimum in payment and be covered for everything.

i see Dan's point regarding the above. it is hard to convince a larger part of the population that "universal health care" is actually a very good and smart investment...

whenever the topic comes up for discussion, i used to hear a lot of resistance to universal health care from friends and relatives... what they don't realize is that Medicare is socialized health care... we already have it! and you and i are already paying for it... in addition to Medicaid, in addition to Social Security, which may or may not be there by the time we retire... and then all the other services we pay through our taxes.

but the thing that is the most scary and what a lot of anti-universal coverage folks don't realize... is that anybody can get screwed in our current healthcare system. even with the best coverage, even if you've worked your entire life, have great savings, etc... you can still find yourself in a situation where you won't be covered and be faced with exorbitant medical fees... (same as the lady in the article).

it's quite frightening.

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

"The Right Wing's Latest Argument Against Public Health Care -- We'd Like It Too Much"

Any time people can get used to getting something free.. or even a sweet deal, they tend to not want to give it up.... well, Duh!

I'm quite sure the vast majority of people don't look so longingly at social healthcare because they get to be the one to pay more.

Every single person wants to pay a minimum in payment and be covered for everything.

By the same token, the Right-wing does not want the Govt to start paying everyones mortgage either... if the lefties passed that law, I am sure people would like it too much to stop it as well

If the question is: will our lower natures allow us to push the cost of medical attention onto others to pay?

See we are not even talking about setting up some "Extreme medical conditions" coverage law... n,n,noooo, we want a whole big program we can all ride on.

Could one of you -search engine wizards- find out the average profit per year for a healthcare insurance company, I thick we will see, if these companies worked "at-cost" not much would change.

One of the main themes of your posting seems to be the increase in cost to you of a government-run single-payer health care system. I respect that argument. I understand not wanting to pay any more than you already pay for your health care delivery. What I don't understand is your lack of faith in the ingenuity and ability of this country to do things as well, or better, than other countries. All it takes is a look around at all of the other western industrialized countries, and you will discover that they not only have better health care delivery, but it is also less expensive than ours.

I believe this great country could do things better than those countries. We have the advantage of being able to look at their health care systems and choosing the features of those systems which would work for us. I would like to think that you would support such a single-payer plan, in principle, if you felt assured that it would cost you the same (or less), and your benefits would not change.

Right now, government-sponsored health care in this country is approaching 50% of all health care. It is not as big of a jump to a single-payer system as you may think it is. And please do not harbor the illusion that you do not already pay for those who have no health care plan. I believe it has already been mentioned somewhere in this thread...but it bears repeating: when the uninsured finally get sick enough to go to the emergency room, the cost of their care is largely shouldered by you and me...at emergency room prices. A bit of inexpensive preventive care for them would save a lot of money. Another well-known cost savings associated with single-payer systems is their decreased paperwork and overhead. I'm sure you can appreciate that.

I work for a Fortune 100 company. I deal with a few Fortune 500 companies. After having seen how these companies operate (including mine), I can assure you that all large corporations are not more efficient than all government programs. Private or public...let's not paint everything with a broad brush. I believe that if we put our minds to it, we could create a health care system that is the envy of the world. Personally, I would not mind paying a bit more for world-class health care for everyone.

Good thoughtful reply.

We would be a lot closer in agreement if your use of the term "country" and "Government" were not interchangeable. I do believe our "Country" could develop a better system but I see little evidence that politicians who cannot even manage to run their senate cafeteria at a profit will somehow do better with your healthcare.

(I'm serious)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...0801765_pf.html

Many people theorize, that one of the reasons that Healthcare is so expensive right now is because the govt is such a huge customer to the system... and they have over paid for services so often that it has driven the cost up for all of us.

I believe the key is to get the free-market forces back into practice, right now what we have are huge cartels. To exchange privately run cartels for politically run cartels will be suicide.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

I believe the key is to get the free-market forces back into practice, right now what we have are huge cartels. To exchange privately run cartels for politically run cartels will be suicide.

Great point, and one which I pretty much agree with. I think the free market should be very involved in a national health care infrastructure. There's absolutely no reason why we can't have health care for everyone that is done through the forces of the free market and regulated by the Federal government. I truly believe that it is because of our free market that the US has the ability to do national health care better and cheaper than any other country on the planet. We often point to other countries and say "yeah, it's great if you don't mind waiting hours or even weeks to see a doctor." To which I say, "We are Americans. Let's do what we have always done: learn from their mistakes and not make them."

Good thoughtful reply.

We would be a lot closer in agreement if your use of the term "country" and "Government" were not interchangeable. I do believe our "Country" could develop a better system but I see little evidence that politicians who cannot even manage to run their senate cafeteria at a profit will somehow do better with your healthcare.

(I'm serious)

Many people theorize, that one of the reasons that Healthcare is so expensive right now is because the govt is such a huge customer to the system... and they have over paid for services so often that it has driven the cost up for all of us.

A private system. Oh my oh my. Something for the dark ages certainly.

So you go to a doctor and he takes your money. Doctors compete for your business, so they try to make you feel like you are getting your money's worth. They order unnecessary tests (for which the labs give them kick backs) and they make you feel like you are very sick and you have to come right back to them the following week. Some doctors don't play this game, but even then you still have to check up on everything they tell you since they are completely independent and don't have to answer to any higher authority. If I have a horrible disease I would want five or six of these independent, artistic geniuses. For the other 99% of my heath care needs I want nationalized, standardized care so that I am sure I am receiving just what I need and nothing more, and that I am not receiving extra just because the doctor wants to make an extra dime or because I look like a cash cow. (When we are less wealthy - like during our studies or when we are between jobs or when we are starting a new company or when we become deathly ill - we have to be concerned about receiving just what we need and nothing LESS, despite the fact that we are the furthest thing from a cash cow during these periods of our life.)

A private system seems extra silly unless there is some form of universal insurance that everyone can access. Insurance exists so that catastrophes don't lead to bankruptcy. Security and peace of mind is generally thought of as a good thing. Private health care - with no universally available insurance - makes about as much sense to me as private security (police). What if police officers had to collect their salary just from people who had been robbed! It's sounds ridiculous, but that's exactly what a privatized health care system would be like. (And kind of like our current system, at least for the half of Americans who are uninsured or underinsured.)

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Timeline

Good thoughtful reply.

(I'm serious)

Our government should be interchangeable with our country. Our government is of the people and for the people.

I completely agree with your observation of the cartels. When you mix the money generated in a free-market system with the power structure of a 'cartel' you get trouble. What alternative other than deregulated free-market health care do you propose other than that exists already?

Timeline

Great point, and one which I pretty much agree with. I think the free market should be very involved in a national health care infrastructure. There's absolutely no reason why we can't have health care for everyone that is done through the forces of the free market and regulated by the Federal government. I truly believe that it is because of our free market that the US has the ability to do national health care better and cheaper than any other country on the planet. We often point to other countries and say "yeah, it's great if you don't mind waiting hours or even weeks to see a doctor." To which I say, "We are Americans. Let's do what we have always done: learn from their mistakes and not make them."

And it would make it cheaper on the government overhead as long as the free-market system has a regulatory oversight that prevents it from running out of control LIKE the current system has. I know I know... I ended that with a preposition!!! :crying: