Grahm&Sarah

FBI BACKGROUND CHECK

73 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Former post leaders on VJ used to be thankful for this type of discussion between each other. You get offensive. Why, I have no idea. Unless your intent when you perpetuate this type of discourse IS to actually learn something without conceding that you might have.

I wish meauxna were here. She would box your ears.

Don't know what you mean by "post leaders" or why you are concerned with what other people liked or disliked in the past. I like correct and direct answers to questions, particularly simple ones. I like getting them and I like providing them. I don't care where I get them and doubt any information seekers here do either.

We've spent several pages arguing over whether expunged criminal records for US Citizens are available to the USCIS. They are. Please accept the facts and leave my education to those I choose to learn from and things I chose to learn. You can't teach me I'm wrong when I'm right. Life just doesn't work that way.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Whatever else might be said, the citations and links that have been provided in this thread are extremely interesting. Many thanks to the chief posters for their exhaustive research.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi rebeccajo, why did your husband go through such a long background check? Do you know?

What is the bottom line to this thread on FBI background check? Will an expunged felony (not AWA felony) in the background of the USC cause a problem/denial with the I-129f petition or not? Can we get a BOTTOM LINE? :thumbs:

Jonas

Long background check? It occurred during his adjustment of status and it happens sometimes. It happened frequently to cases submitted beginning with the year 2004. USCIS had returned thousands of cases to the FBI for deeper checks. A backlog ensued and some persons were caught in namecheck for years. When matches are found during the FBI namecheck process that cannot be cleared by the computer matching, (the FBI has 12 different computer systems which contain criminal data) then paper records must be searched. The FBI stores criminal records in 265 separate physcial locations. Compound this to the fact that the FBI uses the archaic algeabraeic algorithm called 'Soundex' to match names. Soundex converts the surname to syllaballic mutations. In my husband's case, there were five other surnames which were searched in addition to his own.

As to whether or not an expunged felony will show in the background of a USC, the gentlemen and I in this thread disagree. I say it may not show if the FBI has previously elected to expunge it. I do not believe they turn around and show the case just because USCIS is the querying party. I partly believe this because firstly, Pushbrk put up a link which says the FBI sometimes complies with the order or expungement. I secondly believe this because it is unlikely that a court will grant a plaintiff an expungement for serious offenses, i.e. a conviction that would matter in the granting of immigration benefits.

Edited by rebeccajo

I understand the memo. You misread the paragraph referring to agravated felonies if you thought it supported your assertion that expunged records aren't in the report. The expunged records are there to be seen. We aren't discussing which ones are going to matter beyond AWA convictions, just whether the service has access to expunged criminal records. They do. How they use the information is another kettle of fish perhaps for another discussion.

I see William33 has provided additional evidence that indeed expunged records are available to USCIS through the agencies it uses to obtain them.

I misread nothing. As I stated above, it is an aggravated felony which is of interest to the service. I do not believe such a crime could be expunged.

I do not concur that William's links prove anything. The law he has cited applies to foreign born persons - aliens in the US. The law cited has been challenged in many courts as it essentially lowers the bar to below what a US citizen would have to pass.

Don't know what you mean by "post leaders" or why you are concerned with what other people liked or disliked in the past. I like correct and direct answers to questions, particularly simple ones. I like getting them and I like providing them. I don't care where I get them and doubt any information seekers here do either.

We've spent several pages arguing over whether expunged criminal records for US Citizens are available to the USCIS. They are. Please accept the facts and leave my education to those I choose to learn from and things I chose to learn. You can't teach me I'm wrong when I'm right. Life just doesn't work that way.

I realize you like direct answers and you like providing them. As such you should appreciate the fact that what sometimes appears to be a simple answer is sometimes not. It is therefore a disservice to others to assert that your OPINION is an ANSWER.

And another thing - those interested in an honest education don't 'choose' where they learn. They examine all the data.

The US Government does many things behind closed doors. That said, denying visa's for criminals or their petitioner is one among many. After 20 years in the USG, I can assure you that the laws you cite are unique cases that are not applicable or applied in the mainstream.

I am done on this topic, as the facts of USG reach are clear. Ask those denied for further insight.

Regards,

William.

Perhaps the government does many a thing behind closed doors. As I stated above, that is for the courts to settle. That is what due process is for and thank God for it. And the 'unique' cases which set precedent.

Thanks for the respectful discussion.

Whatever else might be said, the citations and links that have been provided in this thread are extremely interesting. Many thanks to the chief posters for their exhaustive research.

Thanks.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

There is a lot of great and helpful information here, and it seems perhaps the expunged felony will show or not. But as the O.P. in this thread, is there any black and white specifics on whether or not this is grounds for denial of a petition? Has anyone on here had a felony, not AWA, that got approved without problem? Feel free to message me privately if you wish. Thank you again everyone.

Grahm&Sarah

Timeline
There is a lot of great and helpful information here, and it seems perhaps the expunged felony will show or not. But as the O.P. in this thread, is there any black and white specifics on whether or not this is grounds for denial of a petition? Has anyone on here had a felony, not AWA, that got approved without problem? Feel free to message me privately if you wish. Thank you again everyone.

Grahm&Sarah

Yes, petitioners still on parole for felonies have had their petitions approved and loved ones issued visas. I can't point to their posts, but I've seen them. It's been a while. The key here is that we know the list of things that qualifies the USC to have their petition approved. A clean criminal record is not on the list. The recent Adam Walsh Act changed that somewhat but only for certain crimes covered in the act.

It's important to note your original question (in post 5 of about 70 in this thread) and subsequent answer that began the long discussion.

Q. I understand that, no, it was not a disclosable crime. Will it show up on the background check as expunged or just not show up at all? Does anyone know?

A. Yes, of course it will show up but even the crimes that must be disclosed are not a justification for denial. You'll be denied if the crimes fall under the Adam Walsh Act. Otherwise you could be a felon on parole and get a family petition approved. It's when the intending immigrant has a criminal record that you need to worry.

The long discussion has been about the first half of the first half of the first sentence of the answer. There has never been any disagreement about the rest of the answer. Nobody has even hinted that a non-AWA conviction would negatively impact petition approval except that I think I noted terrorism related convictions, charges or suspicions probably would do so as well.

There's been some attempt to change the focus from whether and expunged record would be visible to which crimes the service is interested in and one has completely ignored the direct references indicating expunged records are available for law enforcement purposes. As an aside, private companies like Equifax and others who independently gather public information are not required to expunge (neither segregate or delete) their records after an expungement lawsuit is successfully completed, but they are not a factor in visa cases.

Also ignored was the fact I consulted with two of my direct sources in the FBI and State Department's law enforcement division asking them directly if they've seen expunged criminal records. The answer is yes.

The difference in how a USC and immigrant are treated in this regard has to do, not with whether expunged records are available and seen in the background check but whether and how the record would impact the case. The difference in that regard is significant but never an issue debated in this thread becaue there's no evidence of disagreement on the issue.

It is not simply my opinion that expunged records are available to and routinely seen by USCIS staff during petition adjudication. It is a fact, I've researched directly with two sources and on the internet with several more. William33's recent additions to the thread both in personal knowledge and citation further bolster the evidence of fact, not opinion. There's been an attempt to make the discussion about my unwillingness to learn from another poster when the fact is, I'm unwilling to be convinced by anybody that right is wrong. For me, the discussion has been about the facts, not the people doing the discussing.

I hope you'll now relax secure in the knowledge that unless you're a terrorist or have an AWA related conviction on your record, you need not worry about a prior conviction causing your petition to be denied.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

Yes, petitioners still on parole for felonies have had their petitions approved and loved ones issued visas. I can't point to their posts, but I've seen them. It's been a while. The key here is that we know the list of things that qualifies the USC to have their petition approved. A clean criminal record is not on the list. The recent Adam Walsh Act changed that somewhat but only for certain crimes covered in the act.

It's important to note your original question (in post 5 of about 70 in this thread) and subsequent answer that began the long discussion.

Q. I understand that, no, it was not a disclosable crime. Will it show up on the background check as expunged or just not show up at all? Does anyone know?

A. Yes, of course it will show up but even the crimes that must be disclosed are not a justification for denial. You'll be denied if the crimes fall under the Adam Walsh Act. Otherwise you could be a felon on parole and get a family petition approved. It's when the intending immigrant has a criminal record that you need to worry.

The long discussion has been about the first half of the first half of the first sentence of the answer. There has never been any disagreement about the rest of the answer. Nobody has even hinted that a non-AWA conviction would negatively impact petition approval except that I think I noted terrorism related convictions, charges or suspicions probably would do so as well.

There's been some attempt to change the focus from whether and expunged record would be visible to which crimes the service is interested in and one has completely ignored the direct references indicating expunged records are available for law enforcement purposes. As an aside, private companies like Equifax and others who independently gather public information are not required to expunge (neither segregate or delete) their records after an expungement lawsuit is successfully completed, but they are not a factor in visa cases.

Also ignored was the fact I consulted with two of my direct sources in the FBI and State Department's law enforcement division asking them directly if they've seen expunged criminal records. The answer is yes.

The difference in how a USC and immigrant are treated in this regard has to do, not with whether expunged records are available and seen in the background check but whether and how the record would impact the case. The difference in that regard is significant but never an issue debated in this thread becaue there's no evidence of disagreement on the issue.

It is not simply my opinion that expunged records are available to and routinely seen by USCIS staff during petition adjudication. It is a fact, I've researched directly with two sources and on the internet with several more. William33's recent additions to the thread both in personal knowledge and citation further bolster the evidence of fact, not opinion. There's been an attempt to make the discussion about my unwillingness to learn from another poster when the fact is, I'm unwilling to be convinced by anybody that right is wrong. For me, the discussion has been about the facts, not the people doing the discussing.

I hope you'll now relax secure in the knowledge that unless you're a terrorist or have an AWA related conviction on your record, you need not worry about a prior conviction causing your petition to be denied.

Thank you very much pushbrk. On the other side of this, if the USCIS will be able to see the felony, will they also be able to see that it was, in fact, EXPUNGED? My question is will it look like a regular felony to them when viewing or will they at least know it was expunged as well? Hope that is clear. I appreciate all your time and work to find out the answers.

Thanks

Grahm&Sarah

Timeline

Grahm&Sarah

Thank you very much pushbrk. On the other side of this, if the USCIS will be able to see the felony, will they also be able to see that it was, in fact, EXPUNGED? My question is will it look like a regular felony to them when viewing or will they at least know it was expunged as well? Hope that is clear. I appreciate all your time and work to find out the answers.

Thanks

Grahm&Sarah

I didn't ask that question, so I don't know. Remember, it doesn't matter.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Grahm -

What I hope you will do is speak with a qualified immigration attorney regarding your past convictions. That would be a far wiser thing to do than rest your hopes on the discussion in this thread.

To other readers - The links produced in this thread which indicate expunged records are disclosed to USCIS refer to a petition or application made by a foreign born person. Foreign born persons are held to a different standard than USC's in this regard as they are subject to the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act. It may be that the FBI reports expunged records of US citizens to USCIS - if that is the case it is not proven by the links herein.

IMO this discussion, if nothing else, sheds a different light on a different issue. What more convincing argument could there be for naturalizing once the time is at hand than the fact that non-citizens are treated differently than USC's for the same crime?

Timeline
Grahm -

IMO this discussion, if nothing else, sheds a different light on a different issue. What more convincing argument could there be for naturalizing once the time is at hand than the fact that non-citizens are treated differently than USC's for the same crime?

A good point for those concerned about how their future criminal activities will impact their immigration status. :thumbs:

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 4 months later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

okkk :rolleyes:

Edited by christera22

AOS
Married: June 9, 2008.
Visa expired : June 12, 2008
Filed for AOS . Sent through USPS Priority Express : March 03, 2009
Package Delieverd at USCIS: March 05, 2009
March 13, 2009 : Checks Cashed
March 13, 2009 : NOA 1 received on I-485, I-130, I-765. Dated March 11th, 09
March 17, 2009 : Biometrics Letter recieved (Dated 13th March). Interview on 1st week of April
April 2, 2009 : Biometrics done. Total time taken with wait 20 mins.
April 22, 2009 : Called USCIS. They have received fingerprints and work permit is in process.
May 7, 2009 : I-765 case online. Card Production ordered.
May 11,2009 : EAD card received.
May 12,2009 : Applied for SSN.
May 18,2009 : Received SS card.
June 08,2009 : Received Letter for Interview ( scheduled on July 14 th July )
July 14th : Great Interview. All done in 20 mins.
July 18th: Online status - Card Production ordered. Thank God !! I-130 online status : Pending
July 23rd : Welcome to USA & I-130 approval letter recieved. Online status still shows pending.
July 31st : Received conditional green card
Removing Condition
3/25/11 - Received reminder from USCIS to file for ROC
5/6/11 - Sent I-751 Packet to CSC via usps
5/9/11- Package delivered to csc.
5/11/11- Check cashed electronically by CSC
5/16/11- NOA 1 received
5/27/11 - Biometrics letter received.Scheduled on 06/06/11. Case Online
6/6/11 - Biometrics done
9/6/11 - Approved.Card Production Ordered
9/12/11- Card Received

Citizenship

10/13/15 : Sent N400

10/16/15 : NOA

11/13/15 : Fingerprints

11/17/15 : In Line for Interview

01/11/16 : Interview- Passed & Given Oath letter & Date by hand

01/14/16 : Oath Ceremony done & Naturalization Certificate in hand.Proud citizen of USA

I just read that an FBI background check will show felonies but not always show if they were expunged. I had a felony years ago (I am the USC) not of violent or sexual nature, and it was also expunged shortly after. Is this a problem for me?

Also, does an FBI background check show credit history or credit score?

Thanks

Grahm&Sarah

FYI on expungments, which may or may not help.

I had an arrest in 2002 for a misdemeanor. It DID show up on an FBI check in 2004. In 2008, I filed an explungment, which was approved. Afterward, I did another query on my FBI file and the arrest WAS GONE.

Not sure if this will be the case with yours.

Expungments will always remove an event from local (county/state) files, but I wasn't sure if it will remove events from a federal file, so I was glad to see that it did remove it from my federal file.

Edited by Ed+Cindy

------- ROC ---------------

06.29.2011 Mailed I-751

09.22.2011 RFE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.