RexT

Change in I-134 Form

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Has anyone noticed that the New I-134 Affidavit of Support form has changed (from the older one, especially the one I already had filled out) and nowhere is there to have it notarized? Does this mean it no longer needs to be notarized, but just signed and dated? Anyone with any information on this? Would greatly appreciate it to get this in order. I have received my NOA2 and will be taking the interview materials to Thailand in a week. Thanks in advance and happy holidaze to all. RexT

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Has anyone noticed that the New I-134 Affidavit of Support form has changed (from the older one, especially the one I already had filled out) and nowhere is there to have it notarized? Does this mean it no longer needs to be notarized, but just signed and dated? Anyone with any information on this? Would greatly appreciate it to get this in order. I have received my NOA2 and will be taking the interview materials to Thailand in a week. Thanks in advance and happy holidaze to all. RexT

Strange, there is a new one apparently but the old is still available. See URLs below and note the only difference is the lower case "i" on the new URL.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-134.pdf

I haven't read the new instructions to see if they too are different but it appears they've finally conformed the I-134 to the new I-864 so neither needs notarizing.

See the note under "Execution of Affadavit" that indicates no need for notarizing because it is signed under penalty of perjury.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

SNAFU!

Says the I-134 needs to notarized in one place but the new form doesn't have a place for it to be notarized!

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

SNAFU! Old saying! Situation Normal All Fooked Up! :bonk:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

mbc from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures General Discussion to The Foreign Embassy and Consulate General Discussion

deals with i-134 - "Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here."

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
SNAFU!

Says the I-134 needs to notarized in one place but the new form doesn't have a place for it to be notarized!

To file this form, it needs to be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer at any USCIS Office, by a notary public, or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed by a USCIS Officer or Consular Officer at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

The version of the form and its corresonding new instructions are in conformance. There is no mention of a need to be "sworn or affirmed" etc. No SNAFU in this case. I believe the acronym was popularized in an age when the F represented "fouled".

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

SNAFU!

The version of the form and its corresonding new instructions are in conformance. There is no mention of a need to be "sworn or affirmed" etc. No SNAFU in this case. I believe the acronym was popularized in an age when the F represented "fouled".

SNAFU again.

Check the front page for the I-134 before downloading the instructions or the form.

Affidavit of Support

Purpose of Form :

To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States. The sponsor must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

Number of Pages :

Form: 2 pages. Instructions: 3 pages.

Edition Date :

10/30/2008. Prior versions are also acceptable.

Where to File :

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
SNAFU!

SNAFU again.

Check the front page for the I-134 before downloading the instructions or the form.

Affidavit of Support

Purpose of Form :

To show that visa applicants have sponsorship and will not become public charges while in the United States. The sponsor must file a separate affidavit for each applicant.

Number of Pages :

Edition Date :

Where to File :

I don't see what I've made bold above on the form or the instructions. Where are you reading it? link please

Google Who is Pushbrk?

SNAFU!

SNAFU again.

Affidavit of Support

Purpose of Form :

Number of Pages :

Edition Date :

Where to File :

I don't see what I've made bold above on the form or the instructions. Where are you reading it? link please

Here you go!

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Captn Ewok mentioned in the site discussion he was going to contact them regarding the discrepancy. I had the new form notarized as an addendum last week (on a separate page, before I realized it was a new form). But I will tell you the notary was reluctant to do even that since there was no place on the form, and said she couldn't notarize below my signature on page2 or it would be equivalent to her also signing the oath.

The list on the USCIS page indicates the old version is still accepted though, so perhaps that's the best route for now. It's too late for me, since it's been sent off with the pseudo-notarization.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Timeline
Captn Ewok mentioned in the site discussion he was going to contact them regarding the discrepancy. I had the new form notarized as an addendum last week (on a separate page, before I realized it was a new form). But I will tell you the notary was reluctant to do even that since there was no place on the form, and said she couldn't notarize below my signature on page2 or it would be equivalent to her also signing the oath.

The list on the USCIS page indicates the old version is still accepted though, so perhaps that's the best route for now. It's too late for me, since it's been sent off with the pseudo-notarization.

A description on a web page is not the form or the form's instruction. Either the old or new form will work. Until USCIS updates the web page, there's no danger to simply disregard the discrepancy and use the new form according to its accompanying instructions.

Had you carefully read the instructions that came with the form you used, you would have known not to bother with a Notary, as it is clearly stated in those instructions.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

On forms I've always gone by!

If there's place for the notary to do there trip. I don't get it notarized.

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

I think you mean "if there's not a place...." you don't... If there IS, you DO.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

A description on a web page is not the form or the form's instruction. Either the old or new form will work. Until USCIS updates the web page, there's no danger to simply disregard the discrepancy and use the new form according to its accompanying instructions.

Had you carefully read the instructions that came with the form you used, you would have known not to bother with a Notary, as it is clearly stated in those instructions.

I didn't even realize there was a new form until I got home, and was confused myself why there wasn't room on the form for the notary. I carefully read the instructions back in July for the form. Nobody else in my July filer group realized there was a new form, either.

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Timeline

I didn't even realize there was a new form until I got home, and was confused myself why there wasn't room on the form for the notary. I carefully read the instructions back in July for the form. Nobody else in my July filer group realized there was a new form, either.

I didn't realize it until you mentioned it but when you downloaded the form and instructions, reading them would have informed you.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

I think you mean "if there's not a place...." you don't... If there IS, you DO.

OOPS! Thanks for the correction!

!! ALL PAU!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.