Courtney08

What is the stupidest thing you have heard because your with a MENA SO ?

183 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

For the real Mahmoody's side of the story from the movie/book "Not Without My Daughter" there is a series of videos on youtube. Part 1 is at:

I thought it was interesting to see the real people behind the story.

It looks like we all get a lot of the same stuff. Like the one guy I met at work and when he found out where my husband was from and he said "how do you know he's not a terrorist?". UGH. I wish I had thought to say "How do I know you are not a child molester?" lol

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was enjoying all of your experiences with islamophobia and ignorance in the US - definitely put a smile on my face!!! :lol: I especially liked your smart response to the one about knowing who blew up their crappy building! Excellent! You've got to laugh...

Also some very good points about the importance of distinguishing between individuals and cultures and that there are horrors in many MENA countries, but also in our own country the US! I come from a state where people voted to be able to give 14 year olds the death penalty! (that's the great state of California in case you were wondering!) so yes, there are terrible things that happen and sexist and violent traditions all around the world - the point is that stereotyping only reinforces those dynamics - so I agree that our "international" lives are like mini lessons for the world that there are other options and that together we can build a better world :thumbs:

Ok ,now on to the obnoxious things people say!!! :rofl:

First of all, no one knows where Algeria is (or what it is!) - you say, it's the country in North Africa between Morocco and Tunisia, and they're like, " hmmm, there's a country between Morocco and Tunisia?!" uhhh, YES! and it's freakin' huge! :yes:

Personally, I think it demonstrates the latent Islamophobia in the US today that people always feel the need to ask if he is Muslim - in fact that's usually the first question they ask! And the best part is they always kind of whisper it, like it's a bad word... "Is he... [drop voice and sound suspicious and whisper] MOOSLEM?" as if that's the most important bit of information. Or because it's Islam they allow themselves to ask something that would normally be considered invasive if not outright rude if they said it about anyone else! If I said, I'm dating a guy from France, would the first question be, " Ohhh, is he CATHOLIC?" or, "I'm dating a Japanese girl", "oh is she BUDDHIST"! never...!!

And of course all of the typical ignorance about camels and pyramids, and people don't get that you can be Muslim and not Arab, or African and not have dark skin... etc.

I also love it when people ask you how "THEY" do things. I've noticed this a lot (and so has my mom!) with the wedding planning. Someone will through out some random reference as if you care! Ah, that reminds me:

At my engagement shower, I was explaining a bit more about Rahim and where he was from in Algeria, etc. and what we were planning for our wedding, and all of a sudden my cousin goes: " Oh! I was at the Islamic centre in Fremont the other weekend for a convention of Malaysian astronauts...[Yes, Malaysian astronauts - NO JOKE! ] and they had this great buffet...but I accidentally started getting food from the men's table - you know THEY don't let men and women eat together, they had separate places." After I recovered from thinking " and WHAT EXACTLY does that have to do with me and Rahim...?" I asked her, " oh really? did they have separate toilets too?!!?! I heard that THEY don't let men and women pee together either!"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I heard that THEY don't let men and women pee together either!"

OMG thanks, That made me feel a million times better. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Lets see did you mention that ummm.... we dont even "pee together" here in the states.

:thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OMG thanks, That made me feel a million times better. I needed a good laugh this morning.

Lets see did you mention that ummm.... we dont even "pee together" here in the states.

Court,

I was just thinking about you this week. Did you go get married yet?

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline
Just yesterday one of my (American) friends asked me if I "have to dress like a Muslim" because I have a Muslim husband.

I guess that goes along with "are you gonna have to wear that thing on your head?"

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Just yesterday one of my (American) friends asked me if I "have to dress like a Muslim" because I have a Muslim husband.

I guess that goes along with "are you gonna have to wear that thing on your head?"

I think it is so funny how some people in this country make such a "big"deal over the hijab ("head scarf" 'head covering"). Like when Laura Bush went to the gulf countries and she wore one and a photo was taken. The news media made is such a big deal. Yet when many Presidents go to Israel they are wearing "that thing on thier head" and nobody says a word. Lets remember in the sixities Jackie Kennedy wore scarfs as a fashion trend all the time. Our in the 70's when I was a teen we wore bandana scarfs ,(especially when we did not want to wash our hair that day,lol). Now I wear one that my sister-in-law made for me and its like a silky kind of leapord print, and I have had women tell me as I am walking in the store, or many places, that they love it.

I have to say one thing frustrates me more is when I did decide to wear hijab, some ladys I had known at the masjid that did not wear it, told me "I dont have to" its just a tradition.. ok.. well I NEVER told anyone they have to wear it, or they should. So even your own can say stupid things. I mean every muslim woman decides from her own heart and its between her and Allah.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

Timeline

I think it is so funny how some people in this country make such a "big"deal over the hijab ("head scarf" 'head covering"). Like when Laura Bush went to the gulf countries and she wore one and a photo was taken. The news media made is such a big deal. Yet when many Presidents go to Israel they are wearing "that thing on thier head" and nobody says a word. Lets remember in the sixities Jackie Kennedy wore scarfs as a fashion trend all the time. Our in the 70's when I was a teen we wore bandana scarfs ,(especially when we did not want to wash our hair that day,lol). Now I wear one that my sister-in-law made for me and its like a silky kind of leapord print, and I have had women tell me as I am walking in the store, or many places, that they love it.

I have to say one thing frustrates me more is when I did decide to wear hijab, some ladys I had known at the masjid that did not wear it, told me "I dont have to" its just a tradition.. ok.. well I NEVER told anyone they have to wear it, or they should. So even your own can say stupid things. I mean every muslim woman decides from her own heart and its between her and Allah.

It seems like many women hate the hijab. I know in Iran a lot of the women don't like it, but I think that's because they are forced to wear it. And yes, the scarf used to be a fashion accesory, not just here but in France as well. I think people forget the fact that women used to wear scarves because it made them feel fashionable. I really applaud any American woman who wears it in the U.S. I think I would be so afraid of the reactions of friends, coworkers, and strangers if I did wear it, that I would not be able to do it if I wanted to. What kind of reactions have you gotten from wearing it?

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I started wearing the hijab my freshman year of high school by choice and it was a struggle as the students around me I basically grew up with since elementary school, but alhamdoliallah it was a good way to clear up misconceptions and talk about Islam. I also noticed I gained more respect within the community and felt somewhat lucky and superior. I was still young at the time and only wore it one day to try it but after that day, I never took it off. I still get stares sometimes but I usually just smile and walk proudly. Power to my hijabi sistas!

Oh and about my family-my mom delt with it silently but she got over it fast and now buys me appropriate clothes and her family (my grandparents who are hardcore christians) didnt take it lightly at all. I started becoming not just their granddaughter anymore but their arab or moroccan granddaughter and because of my situation with me being engaged at 16 and married at 18 didn't help either, but Allah SWT made me strong and get through it all and now I have the most respect and trust from everyone. My grandmother has accepted it and now sews me hijabs for christmas lol and my grandpa well I forgive him even though he still gives me and my parents a hard time. I have huge respect for all the niqabis at my masjid....I don't know if they go out on occasion but here in America and California-I would like to hear their story.

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline
I started wearing the hijab my freshman year of high school by choice and it was a struggle as the students around me I basically grew up with since elementary school, but alhamdoliallah it was a good way to clear up misconceptions and talk about Islam. I also noticed I gained more respect within the community and felt somewhat lucky and superior. I was still young at the time and only wore it one day to try it but after that day, I never took it off. I still get stares sometimes but I usually just smile and walk proudly. Power to my hijabi sistas!

Oh and about my family-my mom delt with it silently but she got over it fast and now buys me appropriate clothes and her family (my grandparents who are hardcore christians) didnt take it lightly at all. I started becoming not just their granddaughter anymore but their arab or moroccan granddaughter and because of my situation with me being engaged at 16 and married at 18 didn't help either, but Allah SWT made me strong and get through it all and now I have the most respect and trust from everyone. My grandmother has accepted it and now sews me hijabs for christmas lol and my grandpa well I forgive him even though he still gives me and my parents a hard time. I have huge respect for all the niqabis at my masjid....I don't know if they go out on occasion but here in America and California-I would like to hear their story.

Somebody should write a book.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Timeline

Court,

No, I wanna cry. I did not get to go. Im leaving the second I can hop on any plane. I am waiting for my new passport. Long drawn out story.

they said 14-17 days 7 days ago.

:crying:

Timeline

Court,

No, I wanna cry. I did not get to go. Im leaving the second I can hop on any plane. I am waiting for my new passport. Long drawn out story.

they said 14-17 days 7 days ago.

:crying:

awww! well i hope you get it soon hun. im excited for you :)

Thanks!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
What kind of reactions have you gotten from wearing it?

My favorite EVER was from a group of teenagers outside of a skating rink where I was going to pick up my son from a birthday party...... I was pulling into a parking space and had my windows rolled up so they thought I couldn't hear them, or more likely that I couldn't understand them, since everyone knows if you were hijab you must not be English speaking...

One of them said rather loudly: "Oh look there's Mother Teresa!".... I parked and walked inside and they were in front of me whispering and rolling their eyes, etc... I just looked at them and said "Oh Yeah? I look like Mother Teresa? I don't think so.... SHE'S DEAD!" They all turned beet red... Don't think they had heard the news... :devil:

My hijabi girlfriend actually got HIT by an 85 year old lady! My friend was walking down the aisle at the grocery store and the old lady just WHACKED her in the back with her purse as she walked past... My friend couldn't believe it had happened and had to ask a lady who was gasping in shock, "did she just hit me?" The lady just shook her head indicating that my friend wasn't dreaming... :unsure:

What kills my friend and I is that people are always just SURE that we are the SAME PERSON. She's about 5" taller than me and skinny as a rail... but we are both Casper the Ghost white so people ASSUME that we MUST be the SAME PERSON, as if it's IMPOSSIBLE TO IMAGINE that there could be TWO white women who wear hijab in one city.... population 1,000,000!!!!! Tooooooo funny.... :no:

Timeline

Well I have a story that's kind of along these lines, but not really. :-P I am learning Farsi at a local Islamic Education Center that is joined with the Iranian Mosque. We do have to wear the Hijab there because it's connected to the mosque, which I have no problem with. I just put it on before I get out of the car. Anyway, one night after class, I'm heading towards the door to leave and this old Iranian woman stops me and asks me in Farsi if I'm Iranian! I have blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin and NO Iranian features at all. LOL. Maybe she thought I was some kind of Iranian albino. :-P

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Timeline
I'm heading towards the door to leave and this old Iranian woman stops me and asks me in Farsi if I'm Iranian! I have blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin and NO Iranian features at all. LOL. Maybe she thought I was some kind of Iranian albino. :-P

hehe, laughing at work when I am suppose to be doing financial statements is a little suspicisous...... (shhhhhh).

how are you doing with learning Farsi and how long have you been doing it >?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.