Courtney08

What is the stupidest thing you have heard because your with a MENA SO ?

183 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ah, I forgot the stupidest of stupid things that anyone ever said to me. It came from my ex husband (go figure, right? :whistle: ) As I was leaving for my fourth or fifth trip over he made his first nasty comment. I was going to be staying 45 days and this was the trip that we got married (I think he was bitter) so the day before I left I told him, I'll see you in a month or so and he said, "I'll see you before then" I looked at him kinda :unsure: and thought he meant when talking to Aaron on webcam and he goes, " I'll be sure to call the state department and tell them that it's your head I saw getting sawed off on al jazzera " :wacko: That for sure took the cake of stupid comments! A bazillion trips and I still have my head :dance:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Ah, I forgot the stupidest of stupid things that anyone ever said to me. It came from my ex husband (go figure, right? :whistle: ) As I was leaving for my fourth or fifth trip over he made his first nasty comment. I was going to be staying 45 days and this was the trip that we got married (I think he was bitter) so the day before I left I told him, I'll see you in a month or so and he said, "I'll see you before then" I looked at him kinda :unsure: and thought he meant when talking to Aaron on webcam and he goes, " I'll be sure to call the state department and tell them that it's your head I saw getting sawed off on al jazzera " :wacko: That for sure took the cake of stupid comments! A bazillion trips and I still have my head :dance:

I know he's the father of your son, but what a fvckface comment to make. :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think it would be uber cool to hear the things THEIR friends/family have said in regards to marrying and Amreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekan.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline
I think it would be uber cool to hear the things THEIR friends/family have said in regards to marrying and Amreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekan.

Yes, this is the side of this thread that is missing.

I agree wholeheartedly with staashis post. Sure hopefully *your* husbands arent like the stereotypes but the stereotypes exist for a reason. For example lets not make iran out to be this open minded loving place when they are jailing bloggers who did NO crime. Maybe none of the 9/11 hijackers were terrorists but lets face it Ahmadinejad doesnt exactly make Iran a warm and fuzzy place with his threatening statements about america and israel and the way he runs the country.

Sure we can laugh at silly comments like "where is morocco" and "what do they eat", because this is an example of just plain old lack of education. I dont think its MENA specific, if they are asking these questions I am sure there are alot of topics on which they are uneducated.

Then there are the comments around terrorists etc, and you know our media doesnt help out in that respect.

I know that my in laws from israel think that all americans are fat. You know what, there are lots of fat americans in comparison to israel, that is for damn sure. Im not going to get all worked up about it....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

YUP. My fiance has told me some of the stuff people there say about us :whistle:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Timeline

YUP. My fiance has told me some of the stuff people there say about us :whistle:

And it ain't pretty, right??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
When my hubby first came to states my administrator said "well if the place blows up I'll know who did it" I was dumbfounded and replied. "They send me the retarded terrorist that has the lif goal of blowing up a ####### hole?" "i was jipped".

:rofl: that was a good one!!!! :thumbs:

"has he taught you how to wire a bomb yet"

once at wal-mart a customer came up to him and said "so when is the date you will blow us up"?

My gramma and grampa told me that if I went over there, I'd be coming home in a body bag, if I came home at all

"do they have cars in Jordan"-----do they have CARS.....I think they have more cars there than in America lmaoooooooo

From a co-worker "so, do you like have 20 brothers and sisters"....no, I have 3

Do you speak Arabic? No. Then how do you communicate?...uhhhh English.....

Do they have schools in Jordan? Yes and universities and colleges too.... How do they do school without electricity and water?... :blink:

He's going to make you muslim and then you'll be a terrorist and end up either dead or in prison.

from my mother - "I don't ever want to hear that my grandson's head is on the floor"... :angry:

You will be forced into slavery in your own home by having to cook, clean, and do laundry....ohh #######...I was already a slave then coz if I'm not at work..that's what I already do...no worries.!

You'll be sold to royalty as a ssexx slave....royalty huh??? that can't be too bad...

The famous..Haven't you seen not without my daughter??? Sure! That was a very informative movie but from a totally different country lol

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Not to drag this thread off-topic, but I am curious. I know what people I interact with have said to me and that's all. The rest, because of my limited Arabic, goes over my head. I don't worry about my husband's immediate family because I know in my heart his mother loves me and his sisters are my friends. I do not get close to his brother (for obvious reasons). I do wonder about the rest of them, though, and I can only imagine.

So, let me in on the skinny, would ya?

At the end of the day, I look at how many of you have fallen in love with great guys...you have wonderful relationships, fulfilling lives and love lives, and there is a beauty to it all. But I do want to say, life is not always a bed of roses in MENA countries, nor is it here, but the romanticised version you have in your head from a 3 week visit can be very different than what a woman who was born and raised there has had to deal with her whole life. Just my two cents.

I understand what you're saying, I really do. However, what makes you think they're dealing with anything? We can't take our cultural norms and values and apply them elsewhere. What is normal to us is not normal to them, as a whole.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well I haven't heard too much, cause he won't tell me. But basic stuff like "all American women are loose and we have sex with any and every guy we can with"

I think a lot of it is based on what they see in Hollywood films.

If I think of more, I'll post em. Kinda in a bad mood now over a family fight brewing on Christmas eve :angry:

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well I haven't heard too much, cause he won't tell me. But basic stuff like "all American women are loose and we have sex with any and every guy we can with"

If I think of more, I'll post em. Kinda in a bad mood now over a family fight brewing on Christmas eve :angry:

awwwwww we all know hollywood portrays all societies accuately :whistle: Isn't prison break accurate? or CSI and the 1 hour DNA profile ohhh how about Sahara? or Raiders of the lost arc? all true and all good shows/movies :innocent: but of corse Star wars is too..

sorry about your mood Star i am right with you just a big pissy ball of a bad mood (me) :angry:

Timeline
At the end of the day, I look at how many of you have fallen in love with great guys...you have wonderful relationships, fulfilling lives and love lives, and there is a beauty to it all. But I do want to say, life is not always a bed of roses in MENA countries, nor is it here, but the romanticised version you have in your head from a 3 week visit can be very different than what a woman who was born and raised there has had to deal with her whole life. Just my two cents.

I understand what you're saying, I really do. However, what makes you think they're dealing with anything? We can't take our cultural norms and values and apply them elsewhere. What is normal to us is not normal to them, as a whole.

Just because something is a cultural norm doesn't make it right. Female circumcision, marriage of children, abandonment of orphans, mistreatment of wives, honor killings, group rapes, and so on and so forth. And you might say, "Well, that doesn't happen in my husband's country." Which it very well might not, but it does happen in MENA. I'm not saying that your husbands or fiances are brutal - hell no. I'm just pointing out that these stories come out in the media for a reason...they are tragic for those involved and they go against what we might deem as basic human rights.

Furthermore, when you have friends from various MENA countries - some of the more stringent ones like KSA, UAE, Yemen...the stories aren't so pleasant. Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Lebanon - things are a little easier there for women, mainly because of the westernization of the countries due to France. It is just the way things are.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Not to drag this thread off-topic, but I am curious. I know what people I interact with have said to me and that's all. The rest, because of my limited Arabic, goes over my head. I don't worry about my husband's immediate family because I know in my heart his mother loves me and his sisters are my friends. I do not get close to his brother (for obvious reasons). I do wonder about the rest of them, though, and I can only imagine.

So, let me in on the skinny, would ya?

We all carry guns

All Amreeeeeeeeeeekan woman are loud and obnoxious

We walk around half naked all the time

Everyone has sex with everyone

No one prays

Streets are paved with gold

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

Oh yes, we've been with hundreds of guys...and that was just last week. :rofl: But I did tell my hubby, I'm no saint, but I'm not a ####### either. :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.