Courtney08

What is the stupidest thing you have heard because your with a MENA SO ?

183 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
most demographic frms I see that have the "race" boxes say "caucasian" and then (white,eupropean,middle eastern/arab decent) so there :P

P.S-

albinos have a lack of color ...i.e- white hair with red eyes

sorry, i just had to correct that :blush:

Im sensitive about that kinda stuff too. :) not everyone fits neatly in a box

I have never seen that before on any paper work ever filled out.

wierd, i just saw it on my son's school forms last month, and at the doc this week.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
most demographic frms I see that have the "race" boxes say "caucasian" and then (white,eupropean,middle eastern/arab decent) so there :P

P.S-

wierd, i just saw it on my son's school forms last month, and at the doc this week.

maybe its a new thing they are trying to change. I dont think its ever been the norm on paperwork

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
most demographic frms I see that have the "race" boxes say "caucasian" and then (white,eupropean,middle eastern/arab decent) so there tongue.gif

P.S-

Europeans make fun of Americans for labeling themselves as Caucasian. I've taken to marking other when I see Caucasian on the list.

Not that it really matters but albinos can have either blue or pinkish/reddish eyes and hair ranging from white to yellow or even orange/reddish in color depending on their ethnicity. The African and Arab Albinos that I've seen usually have yellowish or reddish hair. I know a white albino that's the mother of one of my sisters friends and she has the white hair/pink eye combo. Nice lady, but she still looks like an extra from Village of the Damned. :blush:

Edited by DieNörglerin

regardless of how i think (ie. that there is no biological basis for race, it's an invented social/cultural thing with all kinds of different ways to categorize), historically:

"The term Caucasian (or Caucasoid) race has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia and South Asia. Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Timeline
regardless of how i think (ie. that there is no biological basis for race, it's an invented social/cultural thing with all kinds of different ways to categorize), historically:

"The term Caucasian (or Caucasoid) race has been used to denote the general physical type of some or all of the indigenous populations of Europe, North Africa, the Horn of Africa, West Asia, Central Asia and South Asia. Historically, the term has been used to describe the entire population of these regions, without regard necessarily to skin tone."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

I'm wondering why Americans are the only ones to use the term Caucasian. I've never seen it used anywhere else.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Hmm that's an interesting observation.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline

P.S-

maybe its a new thing they are trying to change. I dont think its ever been the norm on paperwork

ya, I never saw it before about 5 years ago.

most demographic frms I see that have the "race" boxes say "caucasian" and then (white,eupropean,middle eastern/arab decent) so there tongue.gif

P.S-

Europeans make fun of Americans for labeling themselves as Caucasian. I've taken to marking other when I see Caucasian on the list.

Not that it really matters but albinos can have either blue or pinkish/reddish eyes and hair ranging from white to yellow or even orange/reddish in color depending on their ethnicity. The African and Arab Albinos that I've seen usually have yellowish or reddish hair. I know a white albino that's the mother of one of my sisters friends and she has the white hair/pink eye combo. Nice lady, but she still looks like an extra from Village of the Damned. :blush:

:blush: actually the white with blue/colored eyed combos are leucistic, not albino..ya i know, splitting hairs but its true. See, I have kept both albino snakes and leucistic snakes...the difference is in the eye color mostly. :)

I saw MANY red haired jordanians..if they are albinos then its very common :lol:

I suppose the "albino arabs" you saw had something in the gene pool that gave hem light colored hair? :unsure:

just like there are blonde/blue eyed latin ppl, it doesnt mean they are "albinos" it just means that they dont fit into the common "dark hair,dark eyed" idea that most hold.

:star:

Edited by Lisa wa Yazied

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline

Yeah I always thought albino technically meant lack of any pigmentation, hence the white skin and hair and pink eyes. But un-technically, I guess you could call someone who doesn't have total lack of pigmentation an albino.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Timeline
:blush: actually the white with blue/colored eyed combos are leucistic, not albino..ya i know, splitting hairs but its true. See, I have kept both albino snakes and leucistic snakes...the difference is in the eye color mostly. :)

I saw MANY red haired jordanians..if they are albinos then its very common :lol:

I suppose the "albino arabs" you saw had something in the gene pool that gave hem light colored hair? :unsure:

just like there are blonde/blue eyed latin ppl, it doesnt mean they are "albinos" it just means that they dont fit into the common "dark hair,dark eyed" idea that most hold.

:blush: Albinism can be partial. It's not always total. And it's still possible to tell the difference between an African albino and a European Albino. Like I said, the 'white' hair on an African albino can appear more yellowish than white. And yes, I know there are red-haired Jordanians. The Arab girl I saw in Dubai was an albino with the appropriate color skin/eyes but with orangey/reddish hair. I've nothing against albinos. Like everyone, I notice people that look different. That's fine so long as you don't stare. And none of the rest of her family were albino looking, so it wasn't that her family had red hair in their gene pool. And I don't think she had the same problem as Michael Jackson either. Sorry but I didn't exactly take a group photo of the girl surrounded by her dark haired & skinned relatives. Google for some pictures of Albinos and you'll see that yes most do have white hair but depending on ethnicity some can have yellowish or Carrot Top looking hair. Sometimes traits show up a little differently in different ethnic groups. Just like some albino snakes can have patches of yellow coloration due to pigments that aren't affected by albinism. Not trying to be uppity, but I can tell the difference between a red-haired person and someone with partial or total lack of melanin. Hope no offense was taken. ;)

Sorry to the OP for going totally off-topic but threads have a way of doing that. :blush:

:ot2: The dumbest thing I guess my family said was that I better never go to Iran. They fear I'd be stranded and something bad would happen which isn't so unreasonable given the crazy regime in Iran. They were also worried he'd be a macho man when actually, he's the total opposite.

Edited by DieNörglerin

Filed: Timeline

P.S-

P.S-

I'm a blonde haired/blue eyed Spainard :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

The whole Caucasian thing on demographic forms has ALWAYS included those of north african and middle eastern decent, and it's very annoying. Especially when it comes to applying for university. Being Caucasian doesn't increase your chances of being accepted since many schools are looking to diversify their school population and APPARENTLY being middle eastern or north african doesn't make you diverse enough. There are laws for many schools as to the percentage of minorities that they have to accept. It's just frustrating. Sometimes "other" is not even available to mark, that's when I just don't answer the question.

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

Marriage : 2008-07-12

I-130 Sent : 2008-09-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-02

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-20

NVC Received : 2009-01-25

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-01

Pay I-864 Bill : 2009-02-03

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-04

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-27

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-05

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-19

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-25

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-03-17

Packet 4 Received : 2009-03-24

Interview Date : 2009-05-19!!!!!!!!!!! Pray for a quick approval and no AP!!!

Visa in Hand: 2009-05-20!!! Thank you god! Now I wish he would just come to the US sooner... miss him...grrr.

Point of Entry: Chicago O'Hare Airport October , 16th 2009!!!

Timeline
The whole Caucasian thing on demographic forms has ALWAYS included those of north african and middle eastern decent, and it's very annoying. Especially when it comes to applying for university. Being Caucasian doesn't increase your chances of being accepted since many schools are looking to diversify their school population and APPARENTLY being middle eastern or north african doesn't make you diverse enough. There are laws for many schools as to the percentage of minorities that they have to accept. It's just frustrating. Sometimes "other" is not even available to mark, that's when I just don't answer the question.

I'm kind of hoping that one day it won't be necessary to ask such questions. I view some of the things they ask, i.e., religion or lack thereof to be a personal matter that need not be divulged. And some people don't like admitting to being mixed and shouldn't have to just in the hopes of getting a scholarship. I think it would be better if schools just accepted people based upon test scores, academic records, community service and extracurricular activities besides sports.

Timeline

P.S-

P.S-

albino! :P

Thanks!

Timeline

P.S-

P.S-

albino! :P

:lol:

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Timeline

My grandmother was part American Indian, married a red head hoping to have red headed children and they all came out blond headed and blue eyed and all of their children (me and my cousins) also had blond hair and blue eyes. Don't ask me what happened to the Indian genes. :-P

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.