franksonb

To all Filipinos have you change your greetings from Merry Christmas to Happy Holiday?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I will probably get a TOS warning for saying merry christmas i'm sure and I'm sure in TOS the name JESUS is a derisive and offensive word, but I don't care. And to all the political correct lunatics out there MERRY CHRISTMAS!! may you be loved may you be happy and most of all lay off those who want to call christmas for what it is christmas....

you might consider reading the tos to see

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=terms

I was being a smart you know what. I know it's not in the TOS but I was using that ridiculous statement to make a point. More and more our freedom of speech and expression is taken away from us day by day. I'm sure one day Christmas and Jesus WILL be added in the TOS restrictions in the name of offending nobody. Everyday the shackles around our hands and mouth become tighter and tighter everyday there is one less word we can say..

This Happy holiday ####### is just one example. In the name of offending nobody you end up offending EVERYBODY it seems. Happy holidays makes me sick to the stomach if I hear that one more time i will throw up on them. so MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOD BLESS YOU.

. I do think tho that saying Merry Christmas to someone you KNOW does not celebrate is just ignorant and rude... <-------- to respond to this. that statement is ignorant.. this IS CHRISTMAS by the majority of this nation. If they don't like it they don't like it. We should not worry about placating everybody and surely can't tell everyone happy this this and that that all the time. I am tired of people like this telling everyone else what the should and should not do. this is a perfect example of political correctness gone wild. So to all those who don't celebrate christmas MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO.

I never stated EVERYONE...I said someone you KNOW. Do you pick all your friends based on their religions and if they don't fit your mold, what do you do? Ignore them? Lovely attitude. Example (just in case its slow coming for you) You have a Jewish coworker or neighbor...do you wish them a Happy Channukah? Or scream Merry Christmas in their face? Or perhaps you don't live or work with "those people". I imagine that's your attitude. Anyone who doesn't fit your mold is "those people".

Apparently you tell them -------> "So to all those who don't celebrate christmas MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO."

BTW---Merry Chirstmas, what happened to the holiday cheer and sharing the love of Jesus with all? Yikes. It's America..we are a melting pot. It's not about political correctness. It's about respecting those around you. There is nothing wrong with wishing people a Merry Christmas or Happy Easter, etc. just try to remember to wish others happiness on their holidays too.

You know what. I don't care about making sure EVERYONE is happy. I just try to remember why we IN AMERICA celebrate christmas. Whatever people's religion i don't care about I just care about celebrating christmas for what it is the BIRTH of our lord and savior Jesus Christ...

And you are wrong it is political correctness it is about stripping the rights of THE MAJORITY in order to make the MINORITY happy. That is wrong... True this is a melting pot but that doesn't mean that the Majority should bow down to the wishes of a small minority... Somewhere in this world someone is going to be offended by something and just because that one person is offended doesn't mean that EVERYONE should conform for that one person or even a minority. that is a dictatorship type thinking. EVERYONE should not lose their rights of traditions and values just to conform to placate a minorities grievance. We see this on TV all the time someone is hurt by the image of santa clause or traumatized because Jesus is the reason for the season whatever.. I'M TIRED of our holiday being hijacked and all of us being dictated to what's acceptable or not. all in the name of making someone happy.. I'm tired of people saying "you should respect other's beliefs" well if you are too busy respecting other people's beleifs how can you respect your own??

if somone hates christmas tough I don't care not my problem. and if someone wishes me some other holiday greeting I don't care about that either i will just say merry christmas.... I'm not going to cry file suit or try to trample over the rights of others just to get my way.. In this country this is a CHRISTIAN holiday it is a day to celebrate. Other's can join in thats cool but if they don't like it they can sit the party out. But they should not end the party for everyone just cause the party isn't how they like it or think it should be.......

So to all the BHUDDISTS, TAOIST, HINUISTS, MUSLIMS, JEWS, WHATEVER MERRY CHRISTMAS..... May you all be blessed..... and a blessed new years....

MERRY CHRISTMAS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are sticking with Merry Christmas.

Radzney and Steven

first started talking online 2005

Flew to Davao May 2008

arrived May 17 2008 and we were engaged

Returned to USA June 1 2008

06/11/2008 sent in packet

06/16/2008 recieved NOA1

06/18/2008 bank shows check cleared

07/09/2008 touched

10/30/2008 approved Noa2

10/31/2008 touched

11/06/2008 hard copy of Noa2 arrived in mail

11/07/2008 case left NVC for Manila embassy

12/15/2008 passed medical yeppi

12/19/2008 set for interview

12/19/2008 approved at interview

12/30/2008 Visa Delievered

01/14/2009 Flight to USA

01/14/2009 POE SFO

02/13/2009 Purchased Marriage License

02/18/2009 Married

03/31/2009 Filed AOS, EAD,AP

04/09/2009 Check cashed for AOS

04/09/2009 NOA for AOS EAD and AP

04/27/2009 Biometrics

05/11/2009 Adjustment of Status Approval Notice

06/06/2009 Green Card Received

08/24/2009 First day at job

Filed: Timeline
I will probably get a TOS warning for saying merry christmas i'm sure and I'm sure in TOS the name JESUS is a derisive and offensive word, but I don't care. And to all the political correct lunatics out there MERRY CHRISTMAS!! may you be loved may you be happy and most of all lay off those who want to call christmas for what it is christmas....

I was being a smart you know what. I know it's not in the TOS but I was using that ridiculous statement to make a point. More and more our freedom of speech and expression is taken away from us day by day. I'm sure one day Christmas and Jesus WILL be added in the TOS restrictions in the name of offending nobody. Everyday the shackles around our hands and mouth become tighter and tighter everyday there is one less word we can say..

This Happy holiday ####### is just one example. In the name of offending nobody you end up offending EVERYBODY it seems. Happy holidays makes me sick to the stomach if I hear that one more time i will throw up on them. so MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOD BLESS YOU.

. I do think tho that saying Merry Christmas to someone you KNOW does not celebrate is just ignorant and rude... <-------- to respond to this. that statement is ignorant.. this IS CHRISTMAS by the majority of this nation. If they don't like it they don't like it. We should not worry about placating everybody and surely can't tell everyone happy this this and that that all the time. I am tired of people like this telling everyone else what the should and should not do. this is a perfect example of political correctness gone wild. So to all those who don't celebrate christmas MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO.

I never stated EVERYONE...I said someone you KNOW. Do you pick all your friends based on their religions and if they don't fit your mold, what do you do? Ignore them? Lovely attitude. Example (just in case its slow coming for you) You have a Jewish coworker or neighbor...do you wish them a Happy Channukah? Or scream Merry Christmas in their face? Or perhaps you don't live or work with "those people". I imagine that's your attitude. Anyone who doesn't fit your mold is "those people".

Apparently you tell them -------> "So to all those who don't celebrate christmas MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU TOO."

BTW---Merry Chirstmas, what happened to the holiday cheer and sharing the love of Jesus with all? Yikes. It's America..we are a melting pot. It's not about political correctness. It's about respecting those around you. There is nothing wrong with wishing people a Merry Christmas or Happy Easter, etc. just try to remember to wish others happiness on their holidays too.

You know what. I don't care about making sure EVERYONE is happy. I just try to remember why we IN AMERICA celebrate christmas. Whatever people's religion i don't care about I just care about celebrating christmas for what it is the BIRTH of our lord and savior Jesus Christ...

And you are wrong it is political correctness it is about stripping the rights of THE MAJORITY in order to make the MINORITY happy. That is wrong... True this is a melting pot but that doesn't mean that the Majority should bow down to the wishes of a small minority... Somewhere in this world someone is going to be offended by something and just because that one person is offended doesn't mean that EVERYONE should conform for that one person or even a minority. that is a dictatorship type thinking. EVERYONE should not lose their rights of traditions and values just to conform to placate a minorities grievance. We see this on TV all the time someone is hurt by the image of santa clause or traumatized because Jesus is the reason for the season whatever.. I'M TIRED of our holiday being hijacked and all of us being dictated to what's acceptable or not. all in the name of making someone happy.. I'm tired of people saying "you should respect other's beliefs" well if you are too busy respecting other people's beleifs how can you respect your own??

if somone hates christmas tough I don't care not my problem. and if someone wishes me some other holiday greeting I don't care about that either i will just say merry christmas.... I'm not going to cry file suit or try to trample over the rights of others just to get my way.. In this country this is a CHRISTIAN holiday it is a day to celebrate. Other's can join in thats cool but if they don't like it they can sit the party out. But they should not end the party for everyone just cause the party isn't how they like it or think it should be.......

So to all the BHUDDISTS, TAOIST, HINUISTS, MUSLIMS, JEWS, WHATEVER MERRY CHRISTMAS..... May you all be blessed..... and a blessed new years....

MERRY CHRISTMAS

:wow: You so angry! Who peed in your cheerios? :wow:

I might have actually agreed with you on some of your points but you're way to hateful for my taste. Way to bring others to see how loving Christians can be. No one was talking about law suits...geez.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

"the rights of THE MAJORITY in order to make the MINORITY happy."

So. Imagine that gays were suddenly the majority (Since being gay, we all know, is a CHOICE). You would be okay then with everything in the US being "gay-centric", since they would be in the majority? You would find yourself a gay lover and move in with him, get married, etc. all because the Majority rules?

I'M TIRED of our holiday being hijacked

Easy there Sparky.

How many f##king times do you think Pagans think the same thing? Y'all stole Yule from "us" and made it your own holiday. THEN you have the balls to post babble like "Jesus is the REASON for the SEASON!". *buzz* wrong answer. Yeshua (for that is his name, not this "jesus" #######) was not born on December 25th, nor did his existence have any bearing on the fact that winter (for winter is the SEASON) occurred/continues to occur. The reason for the season is the tilt of the Earth and our hemisphere's distance from the sun.

I don't give a dingos kidney what you tell people in greeting during the holidays. I DO have an issue, however, with the fact that you're a total tool.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

MERRY CHRISTMAS

I might have actually agreed with you on some of your points but you're way to hateful for my taste. Way to bring others to see how loving Christians can be. No one was talking about law suits...geez.

yea someone peed in my cheerios and I'm too angry your 100% right.. hateful no. I'ts just i'm soo tired and exhausted turning on the TV set and see on the news one more school banned christmas this and that. I don't know about you but it makes me very frustrated and there have been law suits in an attempt to take christmas out of our institutions... Forgive me if i sound contrite. But if you see thecountry how it is becoming what would you feel?

In all my angry rantings in all my loud protestations I just want to get this question out.

" How can we keep the traditions of what christmas stands for alive for our children and their children if we the one's who celebrate it believe in it live it DO not stand up for it?"

So, me personally i have decided to stand up to the political correctness for what it is... I may sound hateful. I'm just tired of being silently looking at our holiday being destroyed... There is a war on christmas and it is time for us christians to start fighting back.......

Filed: Country: Kenya
Timeline

I do not see that it is wrong to say Merry Christmas. If it offends someone they have the right to tell me, but I don't think they have the right to tell me I can't say it. I have know a few places that will give all of their workers the Christian based holidays off and the Jewish based holidays off only to those that are Jewish. I for one think that is worst than me saying have a Merry Christmas. But we all have our own views of what is right and wrong.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

yea someone peed in my cheerios and I'm too angry your 100% right.. hateful no. I'ts just i'm soo tired and exhausted turning on the TV set and see on the news one more school banned christmas this and that. I don't know about you but it makes me very frustrated and there have been law suits in an attempt to take christmas out of our institutions... Forgive me if i sound contrite. But if you see thecountry how it is becoming what would you feel?

In all my angry rantings in all my loud protestations I just want to get this question out.

" How can we keep the traditions of what christmas stands for alive for our children and their children if we the one's who celebrate it believe in it live it DO not stand up for it?"

So, me personally i have decided to stand up to the political correctness for what it is... I may sound hateful. I'm just tired of being silently looking at our holiday being destroyed... There is a war on christmas and it is time for us christians to start fighting back.......

Corbin

MGCtBY

I agree with you. I don't think many of the traditions that people try to change are fair. I also don't agree with ridiculous law suits. However, I do respect others religions when their holidays roll around. That was my only point. I say Merry Christmas, Happy Channukah, Happy Easter, Happy Eid and all that jazz to those I know that celebrate. I think the thread went a different way...:lol: My point was to agree not to change your ways but respect those you know.

Our company only gives Christian holidays off...no more no less. However, we do get two floating holidays and people are free to use them as they see fit. That to me if fair with our tons of vacation time I'm sure people can plan their own holidays. :D

Again, nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas...I said that in the beginning of this thread. :P

I do not see that it is wrong to say Merry Christmas. If it offends someone they have the right to tell me, but I don't think they have the right to tell me I can't say it. I have know a few places that will give all of their workers the Christian based holidays off and the Jewish based holidays off only to those that are Jewish. I for one think that is worst than me saying have a Merry Christmas. But we all have our own views of what is right and wrong.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I use MERRY CHRISTMAS if the person I'm greeting is a known Christian but most of the time, I use HAPPY HOLIDAYS just to be safe and to respect other people's belief.

US is a melting pot of all religious beliefs so I don't want to generalize and assume that people are all Catholics like people in the Philippines.

I am not a practising Christian and nor is my fiance but we still stay Christmas. It's just what we all know and have grown up with. In fact everyone in the UK I know says Happy Christmas, I've never heard anyone say happy holidays until I went to the US.

I guess every country has its own known greetings. Its good to know that you preserve your greeting for this season. And I also agree to PlatyPius, that this season is a mixture of all Holidays so I use HAPPY HOLIDAYS to cover all the celebration (Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year). That's a 3 in 1 form of greeting. Its not really a big deal.

It's a matter of respect, really. There are several holidays that converge at one period of time. There's Christmas, Yule/the Winter Solstice, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. Shortly after that is New Year's day. Even if you want to believe that all of those others religions don't exist and/or are wrong, there's still the simple matter of wishing someone Happy Holidays instead of saying Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Both of them being holidays, I would bet that's where "Happy Holidays" actually came from - the American tradition of condensing things.

luv2uallday, don't you realize that YOU are the one who is being militant and arrogant by whining about "Happy Holidays"? If someone isn't Christian, are they still supposed to wish you a Merry Christmas? Some will, some won't. There aren't many people who actually get offended by "Merry Christmas", so I don't get your anger and forceful screaming of MERRY CHRISTMAS!!1 at people.

LOOSEN UP FOLKS!! Just think of the main reason why we greet people around us. For me, I greet them to share the Joy and the Happiness that this season brings to us... and not impose whatever greeting we want for other people to hear.

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2008-09-21

NOA Date : 2008-09-24

RFE(s) : 2008-10-14

Bio. Appt. : 2008-10-17

AOS Transfer** : Online status was not updated

Interview Date : March 11, 2009

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

Comments : NOA for initial interview was sent January 29, 2009 and received February 5, 2009

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : San Jose CA

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2008-09-21

NOA Date : 2008-09-24

Bio. Appt. : 2008-10-17

Approved Date : 2008-12-05

Date Card Received : 2008-12-12

SSN

Date Filed: 2008-12-23

Date Received: 2009-01-19

State ID:

Date Filed: 2009-02-19

For everyone's enjoyment....

Seems there are others pulling this "religious discrimination" #######. Note that she is Baptist - the worst (IMO) of the denominations who actually do the discriminating themselves...and have NO tolerance at all.

Woman claims 'Merry Christmas' got her fired

Company denies claim, says she is 'a disgruntled employee'

updated 5:44 p.m. ET, Tues., Dec. 23, 2008

PENSACOLA, Fla. - A Christian woman claims she was fired from her job because she greeted callers with "Merry Christmas," but the vacation rental company says it's no Scrooge and the woman is just a disgruntled employee.

Tonia Thomas, 35, said she refused to say "Happy Holidays" and was fired, even after offering to use the company's non-holiday greeting. The Panama City woman filed a federal complaint that accuses the company of religious discrimination. She is seeking compensation for lost wages.

"I hold my core Christian values to a high standard and I absolutely refuse to give in on the basis of values. All I wanted was to be able to say 'Merry Christmas' or to acknowledge no holidays," she said Tuesday. "As a Christian, I don't recognize any other holidays."

Thomas said she is Baptist.

Company disputes claims

Her former employer, Counts-Oakes Resorts Properties Inc., said she wasn't fired for saying "Merry Christmas," but would not elaborate.

"We are a Christian company and we celebrate Christmas," said Andy Phillips, the company's president. Thomas is "a disgruntled employee," presenting a one-sided version of what happened when she was fired Dec. 10, Phillips said.

Liberty Counsel, an Orlando-based legal group that advocates for people discriminated against because of their religion, is representing Thomas before the federal Equal Opportunity Employment Commission. Their complaint also accuses the company of harassing and taunting Thomas after she was fired by calling the police to watch her pack her belongings and leave.

Thomas could have hard time winning the case, said G. Thomas Harper, a Jacksonville-based labor attorney who writes a newsletter on Florida employment law.

"I wouldn't think an employee has the right to insist (on saying Merry Christmas) unless that really is a tenet of their faith. She would have to make a strong case that was part of her beliefs, if not, it becomes insubordination," he said.

Found another job

Thomas has found another job, but she makes less than the $10.50 an hour she earned with the rental company. She said the trauma of being fired and the pay cut has made for a tough holiday season for herself, her husband and their 6-year-old son.

Harper said when it comes to holiday greetings, the smartest choice might be ignoring the season.

"The best option is just not to say anything," he said.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Wasn't asked of me but I will answer :P

I don't think anyone should stop saying what they celebrate to others that celebrate. I say Merry Christmas to all my co-workers @ work but I also say Happy Channukah and Happy Eid to those that celebrate. What's the big deal...I don't get it. I do think tho that saying Merry Christmas to someone you KNOW does not celebrate is just ignorant and rude...

I have a mixed family of Muslims, Jewish and Christians so we always have celebrations going on! :dance:

Merry Christmas Everyone and a very Happy Healthy and Blessed New Year! (F)

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Thanks Nawal! My Husband from Philippines and he is Catholic and he changed his greeting to "Happy holidays" on his own. Cuz he realizes that his family here is United States is diverse.....Jewish, Greek Orthodox etc etc. We just went to a Chanukah party last night and on Christmas we are sharing with brother in law.

mailed out aos and ead 7/13/2007

aol and ead packet received per usps 7/16/2007

checks cashed 07/26/07

noa 1 FOR EAD RECEIVED 07/27/07

noa 1 for aos received 07/28/07

biometrics 08/15/07

ead card ordered 09/20/07!!!!

ead card received 10/01/07! finally!

aos case transferred to California Service Center 10/03/07!

received "Welcome to the United States of America I-797 11/05/07!(dated 10/30/07)!

Permanent Resident card received 11/05/07 (dated 10/31/07)! THank u LorD!

Will file for 10 year GC End of July/Early August 2009!

Removal of Conditions:

Mailed I-751 overnight mail to Vermont Service Center 09/10/09

VSC received the I-751 Packet 09/11/09 About 12 pm Local time

Check was cashed as of Sept 16th 2009

NOA Received 09/19/09 dated 09/14/09

I-797 Appointment Notice received 10/01/09 dated 09/25/09 (Biometrics)

Got they 10 year GC approval letter in the mail dated 01/08/10! yehey!

10 GREENCARD RECEIVED 01/20/10

Citizenship.......maybe............or maybe stay a permanent resident .......................

6771903_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Careful with overgeneralizng there, platypus....have you met ALL baptists? didn't think so....by saying we have NO tolerance, you have pretty much become as intolerant as you deem us to be. if you're so tolerant perhaps you should be so kind to stay on your high road and tolerate my intolerance....otherwise you are lowering yourself to my bottom dwelling level by not tolerating me. WELCOME to the world of intolerance! you'll fit right in! having DIFFERENT standards or belief systems does not always equal discrimination...I, yes I, a Baptist took a Gender class this summer at my local university...almost everything in that class went against everything I believe... HOWEVER, one thing I appreciated was the professor's careful attention to the nuances of DIFFERENCES and DISCRIMINATION.....and as i spoke up in class with arguments against gender blending and feminism, she KINDLY accepted my position as an interesting and stimulating addtion to the discussions, though it was DIFFERENT than her own....though she was as liberal and 'open minded' as they come, she didn't get her panties in a bunch and go off calling me discriminatory....it'd be nice to see more of the conservative positions given this response rather than the cliche 'all conservatives/baptists are the worst discriminators out there'.... our country is beautifully made up of DIFFERENCES that come with various races, religions and backgrounds...so you and i add to that beauty...you seem to be very open minded...until you talk about Baptists...not really very consistent...at least i'm consistently different and openly say that i do not agree with every religious view but i don't hate or treat those people differently....and i don't go around making overly general and largely untrue ignorant statements about religions that i am not a part of, just because they may hold a few positions that are different than my own....Really, not trying to rant and i hope i don't sound angry, coz i'm not....just have to defend my own and let you know that i as a baptist discriminate against no one when they come to my register and i wish them a Merry Christmas! (how am i supposed to know what holiday they celebrate? don't really have time to get out my calendar of world holidays and my table of appropriate greetings....those people who try to wish every thing to every one crack me up....but more power to you for trying....as for me, i'm just making a little effort to share MY celebration with other people....if you like it great, Merry Christmas...if you're Jewish, sorry....but I don't normally ask what religion you are before I give you MY Christmas greeting...If we're friends and you're an all-tolerant pagan, you won't be offended when I say Merry Christmas, because you're so open minded that my christian greeting will be embraced by you as warmly as any other.....in a truly tolerant world, perhaps....i)

I do celebrate in memory of Christ's birth though I know he wasn't born on Dec. 25 and that this holiday came about as a blend of Catholic and pagan traditions.....but it's a day to remember why Christ came - what would he do? I didn't see him toning down his religious messages to keep the majority or minority happy....he called the beggar, the #######, the samaritan, and the religious zealots all sinners.....and then he proceeded to tell them he loved them and continued to die for them....he didn't discriminate....he called sin what it was but never stopped loving the person....if i do that, i'm called discriminatory.....so be it....still hope those discriminating against me find the love of Christ this season......

Merry Christmas!

p.s. i'm not filipino...i shouldn't be here! sorry!

Seems there are others pulling this "religious discrimination" #######. Note that she is Baptist - the worst (IMO) of the denominations who actually do the discriminating themselves...and have NO tolerance at all.

PENSACOLA, Fla. - A Christian woman claims she was fired from her job because she greeted callers with "Merry Christmas," but the vacation rental company says it's no Scrooge and the woman is just a disgruntled employee.

Tonia Thomas, 35, said she refused to say "Happy Holidays" and was fired, even after offering to use the company's non-holiday greeting. The Panama City woman filed a federal complaint that accuses the company of religious discrimination. She is seeking compensation for lost wages.

"I hold my core Christian values to a high standard and I absolutely refuse to give in on the basis of values. All I wanted was to be able to say 'Merry Christmas' or to acknowledge no holidays," she said Tuesday. "As a Christian, I don't recognize any other holidays."

Company disputes claims

Her former employer, Counts-Oakes Resorts Properties Inc., said she wasn't fired for saying "Merry Christmas," but would not elaborate.

"We are a Christian company and we celebrate Christmas," said Andy Phillips, the company's president. Thomas is "a disgruntled employee," presenting a one-sided version of what happened when she was fired Dec. 10, Phillips said.

Liberty Counsel, an Orlando-based legal group that advocates for people discriminated against because of their religion, is representing Thomas before the federal Equal Opportunity Employment Commission. Their complaint also accuses the company of harassing and taunting Thomas after she was fired by calling the police to watch her pack her belongings and leave.

Thomas could have hard time winning the case, said G. Thomas Harper, a Jacksonville-based labor attorney who writes a newsletter on Florida employment law.

"I wouldn't think an employee has the right to insist (on saying Merry Christmas) unless that really is a tenet of their faith. She would have to make a strong case that was part of her beliefs, if not, it becomes insubordination," he said.

Found another job

Thomas has found another job, but she makes less than the $10.50 an hour she earned with the rental company. She said the trauma of being fired and the pay cut has made for a tough holiday season for herself, her husband and their 6-year-old son.

Harper said when it comes to holiday greetings, the smartest choice might be ignoring the season.

Feb. 3, 2007- met JP when he started workin' for me:)

April 12, 2007- he left the country coz his work visa expired

Kept in touch for eight months

December 4, 2007- he returned to work again

May 9, 2008 - he left again after six awesome months together

K1 application

6-9-08 - application sent overnight

6-10-08 -application received by Cali service center

6-12-08 - check cashed!

6-14-08 - NOA1 hardcopy received

10-15-08 - TOUCHED

10-16-08 - TOUCHED - STATUS changed to "Approval has been sent" woo-hoo!

10-20-08 - NOA2 hardcopy received

10-22/23?-08 - NVC received

10-25-08 - NVC letter/notice received

10-29-08 - Package 3 docs received via email

10-31-08 - Sent copies pkg 3 to embassy

11-20-08 - RFE (wrong police cert.)

12-02-08 - RFE #2 (wrong police cert. again)

12-15-08 - FINALLY recieve interview date

1-15-09 - INTERVIEW

1-16-09 - mailed forgotten birth certificate to embassy

1-20-09 - birth cert. received at embassy

1-23-09 - VISA received via DHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-30-09- Juan Pablo flies to US

1-31-09 - I see him after 2 months of being apart!!!

2-04-09 - marriage!

Careful with overgeneralizng there, platypus....have you met ALL baptists? didn't think so....by saying we have NO tolerance, you have pretty much become as intolerant as you deem us to be. if you're so tolerant perhaps you should be so kind to stay on your high road and tolerate my intolerance....otherwise you are lowering yourself to my bottom dwelling level by not tolerating me. WELCOME to the world of intolerance! you'll fit right in! having DIFFERENT standards or belief systems does not always equal discrimination...I, yes I, a Baptist took a Gender class this summer at my local university...almost everything in that class went against everything I believe... HOWEVER, one thing I appreciated was the professor's careful attention to the nuances of DIFFERENCES and DISCRIMINATION.....and as i spoke up in class with arguments against gender blending and feminism, she KINDLY accepted my position as an interesting and stimulating addtion to the discussions, though it was DIFFERENT than her own....though she was as liberal and 'open minded' as they come, she didn't get her panties in a bunch and go off calling me discriminatory....it'd be nice to see more of the conservative positions given this response rather than the cliche 'all conservatives/baptists are the worst discriminators out there'.... our country is beautifully made up of DIFFERENCES that come with various races, religions and backgrounds...so you and i add to that beauty...you seem to be very open minded...until you talk about Baptists...not really very consistent...at least i'm consistently different and openly say that i do not agree with every religious view but i don't hate or treat those people differently....and i don't go around making overly general and largely untrue ignorant statements about religions that i am not a part of, just because they may hold a few positions that are different than my own....Really, not trying to rant and i hope i don't sound angry, coz i'm not....just have to defend my own and let you know that i as a baptist discriminate against no one when they come to my register and i wish them a Merry Christmas! (how am i supposed to know what holiday they celebrate? don't really have time to get out my calendar of world holidays and my table of appropriate greetings....those people who try to wish every thing to every one crack me up....but more power to you for trying....as for me, i'm just making a little effort to share MY celebration with other people....if you like it great, Merry Christmas...if you're Jewish, sorry....but I don't normally ask what religion you are before I give you MY Christmas greeting...If we're friends and you're an all-tolerant pagan, you won't be offended when I say Merry Christmas, because you're so open minded that my christian greeting will be embraced by you as warmly as any other.....in a truly tolerant world, perhaps....i)

I do celebrate in memory of Christ's birth though I know he wasn't born on Dec. 25 and that this holiday came about as a blend of Catholic and pagan traditions.....but it's a day to remember why Christ came - what would he do? I didn't see him toning down his religious messages to keep the majority or minority happy....he called the beggar, the #######, the samaritan, and the religious zealots all sinners.....and then he proceeded to tell them he loved them and continued to die for them....he didn't discriminate....he called sin what it was but never stopped loving the person....if i do that, i'm called discriminatory.....so be it....still hope those discriminating against me find the love of Christ this season......

Merry Christmas!

p.s. i'm not filipino...i shouldn't be here! sorry!

Company disputes claims

Found another job

Since your concept of paragraph structure and punctuation are very sub-standard, I read only the first sentence or so of your babbling rant.

No, I have not met every Baptist. I was, however, a Baptist at one point in my life. The intolerance of the 3 Baptist churches I was involved with at various times is what led me to 1) my POV about the intolerance of Baptists and 2) my abandoning of the Christian faith in search of something real.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.