nunyab

MENA Old Wives tales

97 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
here is one from our latin side of the family if u watch a dog poop u gonna get a sty in ur eye, oh and if u have head pain someone gave u evil eye hurry up get the egg to fix it lol

Latinos are really into the old wives tales, there are so many. Evil eye, wet hair, barefooted, the whole nine yards, too funny. :bonk:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fan issue took me a year to nip in the bud. I finally taught him to go ahead and cover himself up so HE didn't get diarrhea but I was perfectly fine uncovered with a pedastal fan blowing my way only! I can NOT sleep without feeling the air moving, otherwise I feel too closed in.

IN Jordan they chased me around with slippers coz I'd get sick if I didn't keep my feet covered on tile floors.

Did you knwo that if you don't drink about 1 cup of cold water before you leave your house in the winter...that you'll catch the flu?... I was there in December so I had many cups of water....uggggggg

husband loves his cold drinks now. Still occasionally likes his hot drinks but will opt for anything cold when eating.

NOT using air conditioning is a thing of the past. HE'S THE ONE that can't live without it now!

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I was so sick in Morocco at the end of June. My MIL tied a cloth tightly around my stomach, massaged the web of my hand, and gave me dry cumin to eat with a spoon. Now, all three of those things helped. But then they tried to take away the fan! :help::no:

My husband says Jinn are made from smoke. He told me that many of the stories about Jinn are just that, made-up stories that have been passed down. But he did say there are bad ones that like to live in dirty places, so if there's a place in the house that isn't clean, they will live there. :unsure:

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
i think doodle has one to share with us, something about leaving the butt uncovered? :unsure:

That one was already said but my husband is meticulous about making sure mine is covered since I get some really crazy nightmares.

I honestly can't think of anything he still does. He used to not like cold drinks but now he loves those mugs that you put in the freezer..the kind with the gel in them for putting soda into. The only thing he's really crazy about is the order in which you put your koshari together. I would just lump it all together but OMG you'd think I was doing something soooo bad when he sees me do it so now when I make it he is in charge of making my little plate of it.

eta: I just remembered though this isn't really a wives tale more just a quirky hubby thing. The first time my oldest slept over someone's house he didn't know about it until he got home from work and she wasn't here. He was soooooo upset!!! Apparently sleepovers aren't all that popular where he's from. He thinks she should be home 24/7 I think because her friends will influence her too much. I nipped that one in the bud since she's a social butterfly and told him that i've screened all of her friends and all. It really shocked me though how he was all upset about her sleeping anywhere but home.

I was wondering about that overnight thing, as my husband thinks its strange that kids here sleep at their friend's house. I told him it's thier way of learning independence away from the parents.

As for the old wives tales, I remember the first time I went to Morocco. I enjoy being barefoot. I will only wear shoes in summer when necessary. So being their in late Spring, I was happy to walk on the cool tile. His mom and sister were constantly chasing after me with house shoes :lol: . I asked dh what the deal was and he said they were afraid I'd get sick. I took shoes the 2nd time.

Rajaa: I find the hot water thing interesting as dh says when you poor hot water down the drain you must say bismillah in case there are jinn in there.

Edited by Maggie724

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

These all cracked me up!!

I just have the general one that if you dont cover at night, and very well...you'll catch a cold

and "a cold" is anything..tummy ache,headache, any ailment is "a cold" :lol:

thought I'd add a few of our family ones, passed down.

when cooking..if you use salt, save a tiny bit and throw it over you left shoulder..to keep bad luck away

of course..the standard: dont EVER open the umbrella in the house..god forbid!

Edited by Y_habibitk

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Timeline
Someone once mentioned something about burying nails and hair after you cut them...has anyone ever heard of that???

I've totally heard that but cant remember where from. some voodoo paranoia I think :lol:

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

well if we're going to bring family things in... my mother's mother is from Ireland (father's mother from spain... don't make me drunk and pissed what a combination phew) anyway, my aunt used to freak when a pregnant woman would raise her arms above her head... apparently this will cause the ambilical cord to wrap around the babies neck :o

Maggie that's funny your hubby says that too... i asked my husband and he seems to agree with it. Interesting

Timeline
well if we're going to bring family things in... my mother's mother is from Ireland (father's mother from spain... don't make me drunk and pissed what a combination phew) anyway, my aunt used to freak when a pregnant woman would raise her arms above her head... apparently this will cause the ambilical cord to wrap around the babies neck :o

Maggie that's funny your hubby says that too... i asked my husband and he seems to agree with it. Interesting

I heard, here in the south while i was pregnant..."dont watch them scary movies with that baby in there..it'll mark the baby" :blink:

Thanks!

Filed: Other Timeline

Can someone please explain what this is ...... i need insight

Rajaa: I find the hot water thing interesting as dh says when you poor hot water down the drain you must say bismillah in case there are jinn in there.

and what about the booty has to do with nightmares and who does it give nightmares to lol :lol:

Met husband July 2005

Married August 2006

Interview for CR-1 Scheduled for December 2007

Administrative Process

Husband was instructed to send passport, new medical, police certificate 02-08-09

VISA IN HAND Feb. 19, 2009 * AP lasted 1 year and 51 days*

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Someone once mentioned something about burying nails and hair after you cut them...has anyone ever heard of that???

Hubby confirms this one... and you must make sure you have your wudu before you cut your hair, nails, or shave... or at least make sure you've made ghusl before you remove anything...

He can remember exactly why people burn them, but we're both pretty sure it is to prevent someone from taking them to make "black magic" on you. Be careful of the Sahara people.. ;)

And I can't believe no one has brought up all the evil eye stuff and all the ways to prevent hasad... Egypt is full of this stuff...

I'm not supposed to tell my dreams to him... good or bad, but when I go ahead he always has an explanation for them.... The other night we went to an NBA game and he didn't tell his friend where we were going because he didn't want to bring "hasad" on us...

I guess my MIL's flat is a regular hang out for Jinn... guess we'll not be staying there!!!! Even though he assures me they are good Jinn who have protected her and warned her of danger for years... I'm not very social when it comes to meeting them... YIKES!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Can someone please explain what this is ...... i need insight

Jinn (spirts) like to live in dirty areas... (like drains and bathrooms, and toilets) so if you pour the hot water on them you might kill them (????) and before you slaughter animals you say "Bis'mi'llah" so the same would apply when you "slaughter the jinn" by pouring the hot water down the drain...

and what about the booty has to do with nightmares and who does it give nightmares to lol :lol:

Well a fart is really a sneeze from your booty.... (SEE I told YOU, it's getting a COLD!!!) :lol:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Here are some LOL:

Do not talk in the WC cos the jinn will eat your tongue.

Do not eat in bed cos the jinn will eat the crumbs on the bed.

Do not pour hot water down a drain after asr cos you will kill jinn babies, thus making the jinn mad.

Do not take a shower after asr ... again for the same reason as above.

Do not take children outside after maghreb since the Satan collects children outside after that time.

Do not blow on your food as you will blow away it's vitamins.

Do no drink anything cold ... or you will get a throat infection and/or cold.

Do not throw away bread or that will be your last (Allah punishes waste I guess it means).

Sleep on your right side (habit of the Prophet) so you donnot have nightmares.

I know many more but I gotta go feed my son ... I will be back later! LOLOL!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.