Two kind deeds in one day...Cute :)

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
:lol: HAHA! Krikit! I would have been well chuffed with the win + the butterfinger too :) I think we should start using our British slang around here, Krikit. We could rule the world with how many slang words we probably know. My grandma lived in Manchester and I visited her often..I also had a british boyfriend for quite some time and have many british friends...and my dad is from Glasgow...so I'm as British-Canadian as you can get without being born in Britain.

I AM BOSSLESS TODAY! WOOOOOOOOO! I needed this SO badly! My boss is a nightmare and last night I Finally snapped at her. (probably why she didn't come in)

AND THEN...our cuban housekeeper who obviously has a crush on me brought me a mini cherry pie. It was so cute of him. Made my day!

Makes me think I should do stuff like that more often for people...

You have a housekeeper?

And he's male??? :dance:

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: Timeline
:lol: HAHA! Krikit! I would have been well chuffed with the win + the butterfinger too :) I think we should start using our British slang around here, Krikit. We could rule the world with how many slang words we probably know. My grandma lived in Manchester and I visited her often..I also had a british boyfriend for quite some time and have many british friends...and my dad is from Glasgow...so I'm as British-Canadian as you can get without being born in Britain.

I AM BOSSLESS TODAY! WOOOOOOOOO! I needed this SO badly! My boss is a nightmare and last night I Finally snapped at her. (probably why she didn't come in)

AND THEN...our cuban housekeeper who obviously has a crush on me brought me a mini cherry pie. It was so cute of him. Made my day!

Makes me think I should do stuff like that more often for people...

You have a housekeeper?

And he's male??? :dance:

My aunt had a male housekeeper. Oh, the jokes we used to make about that. Way too funny.

iagree.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I lived in England for three years but never heard the word chuffed. :wacko: It was a surprise when I moved there. There I was thinking we spoke the same language. Imagine my surprise when I could barely follow a conversation when I first got there! :blush: I just nodded my head a lot and said "uh huh"... LOL!

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

I lived in England for three years but never heard the word chuffed. :wacko: It was a surprise when I moved there. There I was thinking we spoke the same language. Imagine my surprise when I could barely follow a conversation when I first got there! :blush: I just nodded my head a lot and said "uh huh"... LOL!

I have the same problem in the US sometimes. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I have the same problem in the US sometimes. :lol:

In Canada the conversation, for the most part, seems a lot like the U.S., with one big difference. Half the time people don't understand what I'm talking about. I don't mean I'm mumbling garbage, either. I am speaking to them in a clear and easily heard voice using mostly simply dialog. However, I still get a lot of "Huh?" looks.

My wife doesn't know what the problem is either. Then again, she's been around me, so maybe any differences in my speech wouldn't seem noticeable to her.

I don't have a "Texan accent." My parents are from New York, so that probably influenced my speech patterns. As it is, I refuse to say "ya'll." In fact, when I'm the south, a lot of people think I'm a "northerner." Every once in a while, when I'm really angry, I might let loose one or two Texan-like words or whatever.

My wife thinks that perhaps there are some very subtle differences in dialect or tone between Americans and Canadians. Maybe that's why some people sometimes have difficulty understanding me. My in-laws don't, but then again, they've traveled all over the place (including the United States).

I don't know what reason is here, but it can be quite aggravating.

Edited by DeadPoolX

I find, a lot of the time, that I just don't understand some of the words people use here. And with some of my husband's family, I pretty much can't understand anything they're saying. It's a combination of the accent and the use of words which are unfamiliar to me. If their speech patterns were slower it would be much easier for me to comprehend what they're saying.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Friday? YEAH!! And I have Monday off!! :dance: Yipee!!!

Hope Charles isn't too disappointed when he realizes it's Thursday.

my calendar says it's friday. you mean i can't vegetate at home tonight? :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've found that in order for people to understand you correctly they have to actually listen - more than you normally would.

When you are speaking to someone who basically has the same type of speech pattern it's a no-brainer and requires very little attention.

My Husband had the same problem in Canada (with his incredibly slight Australian accent) - he modified it to sound more Canadian - worked like a charm.

(oh and I don't mean to imply that if you don't catch it all you are 'hearing lazy' or anything!!)

And yes charles, you can veg tonight, just remember to set your clock for morning.

Edited by trailmix

When I moved to Vancouver from Montreal I got laughed at when I'd say, "Close the light!" or some equally franco/old-European way of speaking that I grown up with.

There were so many expressions that did not fly in B.C., and so many I heard there that I did not understand.

Some of my favourite Montrealisms is:

"Gimmee two secs" which sounds like sex...the expression meaning: give me a moment

and

"That's it that's all!" usually said emphatically at the end of a sentence to punctuate how serious and final you are.

and the Quebecois slang that I most love and always makes me laugh

"C'est le weekend!" heard ever Friday on those franco-pop radio stations.

I find all this dialect stuff fascinating.

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

I am going to retrain myself to say it because I laughed at my Montreal friends who said that on my last visit there.

Man, it got knocked out of me living in Vancouver.

Hahaha!

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OT forum is really offensive!! One particular poster is talking about beating up his wife, whether he is joking or not I don't find that funny in the least. There sure are some cuckoos here on VJ :devil:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
The OT forum is really offensive!! One particular poster is talking about beating up his wife, whether he is joking or not I don't find that funny in the least. There sure are some cuckoos here on VJ :devil:

Schpat?

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Schpat?

Uncle something or other!! So wierd!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.