Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
So my daugher called, all excited, to tell me she had won a bunch of money at the Blackjack table in Vegas. She and her fiancé had gone with 10 of their friends for a 30th birthday surprise. So after we hung up I went to the local grocery store to pick up some items and saw a sale on Butterfingers. When I got to the checkout it didn't ring up as the sale price so I said "Oh. Those were marked on sale. But that's okay. It's only 6 cents so don't worry about it." But the cashier wanted to verify it and ended up refunding the full amount of the item and then gave me the item for free as well! Store policy. :o:dance:

And so ends the tale of two generations. My daughter is chuffed that she won the cost of her trip and I am chuffed that I got a free Butterfinger. Oh, how my expectations have been lowered throughout the years. <_<

WOW what store was that? I've never had that happen to me. "Chuffed" is a new word to me. What does it mean? :blush:

chuffed = pleased or happy about :)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: HAHA! Krikit! I would have been well chuffed with the win + the butterfinger too :) I think we should start using our British slang around here, Krikit. We could rule the world with how many slang words we probably know. My grandma lived in Manchester and I visited her often..I also had a british boyfriend for quite some time and have many british friends...and my dad is from Glasgow...so I'm as British-Canadian as you can get without being born in Britain.

I AM BOSSLESS TODAY! WOOOOOOOOO! I needed this SO badly! My boss is a nightmare and last night I Finally snapped at her. (probably why she didn't come in)

AND THEN...our cuban housekeeper who obviously has a crush on me brought me a mini cherry pie. It was so cute of him. Made my day!

Makes me think I should do stuff like that more often for people...

Edited by thetreble

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

:lol: HAHA! Krikit! I would have been well chuffed with the win + the butterfinger too :) I think we should start using our British slang around here, Krikit. We could rule the world with how many slang words we probably know. My grandma lived in Manchester and I visited her often..I also had a british boyfriend for quite some time and have many british friends...and my dad is from Glasgow...so I'm as British-Canadian as you can get without being born in Britain.

I AM BOSSLESS TODAY! WOOOOOOOOO! I needed this SO badly! My boss is a nightmare and last night I Finally snapped at her. (probably why she didn't come in)

AND THEN...our cuban housekeeper who obviously has a crush on me brought me a mini cherry pie. It was so cute of him. Made my day!

You have a housekeeper?

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

We're going to Delaware on Sunday. We have this little state that is so close to us, we haven't even really been there to visit. So on Sunday we're going to Wilmington to explore.

Anyone know of anything interesting in Wilmington?? :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

http://www.ci.wilmington.de.us/attractions.htm looks like a cool little town :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
We're going to Delaware on Sunday. We have this little state that is so close to us, we haven't even really been there to visit. So on Sunday we're going to Wilmington to explore.

I was just there a couple of months ago. Their downtown is cute. It's basically a college town.

You have a housekeeper?

Yes! At work, of course..not at home. :lol: I work at a university so we have housekeepers that do all the dorms and offices. He just takes out my garbage and sweeps. He's seriously one of the nicest men I've ever met.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Poor TO.. no power.. geesh! Hope my auntie has power.. :( I haven't seen a friend online today, so me thinks she's in the grid w/o power :(

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...wer-outage.html

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

Hope Jen doesn't mind me quoting her here - just found this in the waiting for K1 interview thread:

1/2 hour later I was called into room 8 for the interview. He was super nice and joked around with me...Also when I mentioned I had used VJ for information, he said "oh you must have read about me? I was the one people said was really nice and was a joker" LOL. So say nice things, because it *seems as though he has a VJ account!

Timeline
Hope Jen doesn't mind me quoting her here - just found this in the waiting for K1 interview thread:

1/2 hour later I was called into room 8 for the interview. He was super nice and joked around with me...Also when I mentioned I had used VJ for information, he said "oh you must have read about me? I was the one people said was really nice and was a joker" LOL. So say nice things, because it *seems as though he has a VJ account!

:rofl: I think he likes the fact that he's famous on VJ!! :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Timeline

I'm sure this site is very well known to them!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I'm sure this site is very well known to them!!

Me too. I always think it's funny when people say nooooo, these people are far too busy to come in here and read this stuff.

I don't find it at all unusual that someone who works somewhere would visit a website where they discuss it. :)

Edited by trailmix

I posted this in the other Off Topic, and in case some of you do not venture over there, I really wanted to share this with you.

A friend sent it from Vancouver.

It warmed my popsicle heart (hey I'm in Chicago, and the temp. is hovering around -20F!).

(L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L) (L)

Enjoy!

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Timeline

:rofl: I think he likes the fact that he's famous on VJ!! :)

I think it's nice that he is nice to people :thumbs:

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

there's a man that comes to my office that needs help faxing, writing letters etc. I generally help him (depending on the request), and he brought me a cyclamen plant today. very sweet.. I know it was a sacrifice for him.. he gets so little (on disability), and should be using the $$ for taking care of himself.. AND today he came in without a jacket (feels like -14 today)... i promptly scolded him.

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: Timeline
Was posting their video above, but oh well.

Anyway, this is one of their older songs, I like this.

"Embedding disabled by request" :(

So my daugher called, all excited, to tell me she had won a bunch of money at the Blackjack table in Vegas. She and her fiancé had gone with 10 of their friends for a 30th birthday surprise. So after we hung up I went to the local grocery store to pick up some items and saw a sale on Butterfingers. When I got to the checkout it didn't ring up as the sale price so I said "Oh. Those were marked on sale. But that's okay. It's only 6 cents so don't worry about it." But the cashier wanted to verify it and ended up refunding the full amount of the item and then gave me the item for free as well! Store policy. :o:dance:

And so ends the tale of two generations. My daughter is chuffed that she won the cost of her trip and I am chuffed that I got a free Butterfinger. Oh, how my expectations have been lowered throughout the years. <_<

WOW what store was that? I've never had that happen to me. "Chuffed" is a new word to me. What does it mean? :blush:

It's the Publix stores. Not sure if you have them where you are. And, yes, Trailmix is right. Chuffed means pleased/happy. Like Treble says, it's British slang. I'm originally from England so I'm bilingual. :hehe:

Haha. Maybe we should start a slang thread for all countries and we can learn a new language. :lol:

Awwwww. That was so sweet of him. :)

Poor TO.. no power.. geesh! Hope my auntie has power.. :( I haven't seen a friend online today, so me thinks she's in the grid w/o power :(

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/200...wer-outage.html

:o I had no idea the power was out. Good thing my daughter is in Vegas. Except my son is in Toronto so I wonder if he's been affected? They live in The Beaches so their house is alright, but they work in the downtown core so it looks like that's where it is.

Hmmm. I wish I knew who that was. :lol: There were two guys there who were super super nice to us. One was the interviewer who was youngish, but I don't recall him making any jokes. The other was an older guy who went out of his way to get me my visa later that day, and he did make some jokes.

there's a man that comes to my office that needs help faxing, writing letters etc. I generally help him (depending on the request), and he brought me a cyclamen plant today. very sweet.. I know it was a sacrifice for him.. he gets so little (on disability), and should be using the $$ for taking care of himself.. AND today he came in without a jacket (feels like -14 today)... i promptly scolded him.

Oh wow. Another kind deed. Isn't that lovely. :luv:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.