Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just got the software for MS office 2007. hopefully it installs smoothly!!

Nice! I don't have office on this computer - I use openoffice - but I have pondered picking up MS office.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Nice! I don't have office on this computer - I use openoffice - but I have pondered picking up MS office.

mine is the student version--has Word, Excel, power point and OneNote 2007! I bought it off of amazon, and didnt even have to show student ID!! Got it for $88. best buy and others wanted like $150

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

mine is the student version--has Word, Excel, power point and OneNote 2007! I bought it off of amazon, and didnt even have to show student ID!! Got it for $88. best buy and others wanted like $150

Hey, that is a good price!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Do we avoid talking to people? Have we forgotten how to deal with one another.

I understand that people work, that people have answering machines but it is just my obversation..

The other day I was trying to update records of members and I called them and left messages and asked them to call me back with their information... waited... no replies.

Then I email them all today and what? I get six replies within the first three minutes.

I understand email is easier for most but I just get the sense that no one even wants to speak to anyone anymore.

It's lke my friend I have been trying to get a hold of for a couple of months and everytime I call her I get her machine voice mail, and I would take it personally except we all have the same problem with her. She emails me every other day with news in her life, and I try to call her and I get her machine BUT a day later she tells me she's sorry she missed my call and she's been meaning to call me but is SO busy! Her fingers must move faster than her mouth because she can't even talk but she can text and email like a mofo.

My husband pretty much refuses to go into the bank and talk to a person and prefers the self check out line even when we have a pile of groceries... something I love about the wegmans near us, there is no self check out and we HAVE to talk to a person.

We just seem so disconnected... it's like we just don't want to deal with eachother anymore.

My husband thinks I'm strange because I am always saying hello to people I don't know. But I love people.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
good morning all. gee, high class coffee this morning. if this keeps up i'm gonna have to start shaving before posting. :blush:

Oh, now see...... that's just wrong. I always thought of you as all washed and groomed and lying on a floor somewhere, underneath a desk, fiddling with wires and things. Unshaven just doesn't go with that image.

:blush:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Damn it!!! Ionly bought this software, because i wanted an updated Outlook!! Well duh--it does not have outlook!! So ticked!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I understand that people work, that people have answering machines but it is just my obversation..

The other day I was trying to update records of members and I called them and left messages and asked them to call me back with their information... waited... no replies.

Then I email them all today and what? I get six replies within the first three minutes.

I understand email is easier for most but I just get the sense that no one even wants to speak to anyone anymore.

It's lke my friend I have been trying to get a hold of for a couple of months and everytime I call her I get her machine voice mail, and I would take it personally except we all have the same problem with her. She emails me every other day with news in her life, and I try to call her and I get her machine BUT a day later she tells me she's sorry she missed my call and she's been meaning to call me but is SO busy! Her fingers must move faster than her mouth because she can't even talk but she can text and email like a mofo.

My husband pretty much refuses to go into the bank and talk to a person and prefers the self check out line even when we have a pile of groceries... something I love about the wegmans near us, there is no self check out and we HAVE to talk to a person.

We just seem so disconnected... it's like we just don't want to deal with eachother anymore.

My husband thinks I'm strange because I am always saying hello to people I don't know. But I love people.

Interesting observation. I have a few friends like that, I'll call and leave messages and rather than a call back, they think it suffices to write me an e-mail saying sorry I missed your call, was busy, etc. But they never actually call back, they e-mail. It's hard to pinpoint why, I mean are we all busier than people were 20 years ago before e-mail and those things?

I prefer the self checkout too, but it's not so much to avoid talking to the clerk. It's just because I have control over what I'm scanning and packing in the bag, I check the prices carefully and pack the bag the way I like to.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

I like self check out when I have one or two things... but I hate it when people go with an entire cart of groceries. It's like when people go through the drive thru at timmies and order coffee for the whole office and hold up the line. :P

Yea I can understand why some like self check out by my husband avoids it because he's a robot and doesn't like human interaction unless it's with me... for some odd reason. :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

I completely understand this, I am the same way.

If I had a call from a business, unless I had called them and was waiting for a call back - I wouldn't answer the phone either.

Self checkout - I can take it or leave it, I don't really talk to the check out person anyway.

As for friends calling - when someone calls me, if I am not busy, I will always answer.

Timeline

They don't have to answer, but they never even called back. :lol:

I talk to the check out person, they always ask me how I am and I tell them... and then I ask them how they are. My husband thinks its hilarious... maybe because I was in hospitality? I dunno. I just like talking to people. I am going to be the crazy old lady at bus stops who talks about everything and anything! :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

#######, just read this job posting: "must be reliable well oriented and good looking, with high motivational skills. "

So the fugly need not apply :unsure:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Interesting observation. I have a few friends like that, I'll call and leave messages and rather than a call back, they think it suffices to write me an e-mail saying sorry I missed your call, was busy, etc. But they never actually call back, they e-mail. It's hard to pinpoint why, I mean are we all busier than people were 20 years ago before e-mail and those things?

I am guilty of this. I hate talking on the phone, so when one of my girlfriend's call, I rarely answer. I just usually send an email and ask how they're doing and let them know how I am. I send pictures too.

But the main reason I email is because you don't get stuck on the phone. You can end an email at your leisure. The phone can last forever. I know that's selfish but its true.

My best friend hates email. So once a month I answer. :lol:

Timeline

I am guilty of this. I hate talking on the phone, so when one of my girlfriend's call, I rarely answer. I just usually send an email and ask how they're doing and let them know how I am. I send pictures too.

But the main reason I email is because you don't get stuck on the phone. You can end an email at your leisure. The phone can last forever. I know that's selfish but its true.

Yeah - I hear you - I absolutely prefer email in general for friends. Family is the exception.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline
They don't have to answer, but they never even called back. :lol:

oh :lol:

Well was it something worthwhile??

I think so.

I needed their birthdays and I let them know that we can't send them their bday card without it. On members bdays they get a free dinner entree up in the terrace room with their birthday card... the terrace is schwanky... you'd think they'd want a free dinner.

Most complain too when we don't send them their card... well it's because we don't have your birthday on file you n00bs!

:P

I just tell people I have to go.

Oh no the world is on fire! GOTTA GO!

There are certain people I avoid phone calls with though because they do tend to go on. I rarely do talk on the phone as it is, but sometimes its nice to shoot the doo with someone.

#######, just read this job posting: "must be reliable well oriented and good looking, with high motivational skills. "

So the fugly need not apply :unsure:

hooters waitress??

Donne moi une poptart!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.