Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I've always wished I could sing :(

Being totally random, I was thinking about something today. Not to start a huge debate, but hypothetically, what If someone was in a same sex relationship with an American and wanted to come live and marry in the US? I understand that same sex marriages are not legal in most states, but what if the USC resided in a state like Massachusetts, where these marriages are legal. I haven't heard of such a relationship here on VJ... I was just wondering if its possible, or does USCIS say no way? Also too, an American citizen in a same sex relationship could easily be married to a Canadian up in Canada. Does they mean they could file a CR-1 or K3?

The answer is probably no, but under what grounds? As far as I know, there is no national law on the issue. Completely random, just curious!

It's unfortunately a no! Which is sad but true. The spousal and fiancee Visas are issued by the federal govt, it's not state issued. Therefore even though same sex marriage is legal in a few states, you still cannot sponsor a same sex spouse or fiancee as it's not federally recognized. Which is a shame IMO. A friend of mine from Hamilton met his love online from Nebraska, and he immigrated him to Canada since they couldn't do it the other way around. They are now happily married!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
I've always wished I could sing :(

Being totally random, I was thinking about something today. Not to start a huge debate, but hypothetically, what If someone was in a same sex relationship with an American and wanted to come live and marry in the US? I understand that same sex marriages are not legal in most states, but what if the USC resided in a state like Massachusetts, where these marriages are legal. I haven't heard of such a relationship here on VJ... I was just wondering if its possible, or does USCIS say no way? Also too, an American citizen in a same sex relationship could easily be married to a Canadian up in Canada. Does they mean they could file a CR-1 or K3?

The answer is probably no, but under what grounds? As far as I know, there is no national law on the issue. Completely random, just curious!

It's unfortunately a no! Which is sad but true. The spousal and fiancee Visas are issued by the federal govt, it's not state issued. Therefore even though same sex marriage is legal in a few states, you still cannot sponsor a same sex spouse or fiancee as it's not federally recognized. Which is a shame IMO. A friend of mine from Hamilton met his love online from Nebraska, and he immigrated him to Canada since they couldn't do it the other way around. They are now happily married!

Hummm... That's not surprising, but it is quite disappointing. Hopefully that will change in time. It definitely raises some very interesting questions regarding state rights the powers of the federal government... To bad I already finished school, this would have been an interesting topic to write a thesis paper on. Maybe one day! I wrote an interesting paper on Canadian refugee and asylum laws a couple weeks back, and it was very interesting to unravel. To bad I didn't take an interest in this immigration stuff until recently!

These are the types of things I think about in the shower or laying in bed at night when I can't sleep... I have some serious insomnia! :unsure:

Anyone know anything about Sirius Radio transfers?

I have it set up here in Canada. Can my fiancé add my car radio to his account? Or are Canadian serial numbers different?

Also, can you have an ETR 407 account on a US plate? I still use it when I visit...from Burlington to Richmond Hill? My fiancé already has me on his Eazy Pass account even though I have Ontario plates.

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

I have it set up here in Canada. Can my fiancé add my car radio to his account? Or are Canadian serial numbers different?

Also, can you have an ETR 407 account on a US plate? I still use it when I visit...from Burlington to Richmond Hill? My fiancé already has me on his Eazy Pass account even though I have Ontario plates.

Not sure about Sirius, but you can definitely have a 407 account on US plates. They will bill you no matter your province or state. I sometimes wonder how they get your address, but they do!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

My dad had an XM satellite radio that he purchased in the US. Apparently they are cheaper down there... But it worked just fine! Although, I think he may have bought a radio plan from the US too, if that makes any difference.

The 407 has a bad habit of making mistakes! My dad has received 3 bills from them in the past 2 years and he hasn't used the highway since we went camping in northern Ontario like 6 years ago. I guess they can find anyone as long as they have registered plates on their car. Scary!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I woke up this morning realizing I've dreamt about immigration for the past 4 nights! And I haven't even sent in my I-129F! Gah, I'm going to be a nervous wreck during this whole process. I couldn't even imagine planning a wedding, too, brain would go into overload. It used to be all I'd think about was him. Now it's him, paperwork, him, wait-times, him, fees : ( I can't wait until it's over and it technically hasn't even started yet bleh.

Glad I have a place to vent :blush:

Jenna... welcome to the world of the K1!!! Just wait - it gets better... depending on how you look at it! :blink:

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I've been trying to reacclimate to the real world since the interview... and I've just re-discovered the friendliness in the Canadian OT. Have a good night all! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Not sure about Sirius, but you can definitely have a 407 account on US plates. They will bill you no matter your province or state. I sometimes wonder how they get your address, but they do!

Funny enough, my fiance has used the 407 a couple of times, and has yet to see a bill several months later? :whistle: Needless to say, I won't be calling and asking where the bill is lol!

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Timeline

Funny enough, my fiance has used the 407 a couple of times, and has yet to see a bill several months later? :whistle: Needless to say, I won't be calling and asking where the bill is lol!

Maybe his bill is being sent to Huggles Dad :lol:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Good morning!

coffee_animalfaces.jpg

Good morning, and happy Saturday! It is a gorgeous morning here... just opened the doors and windows. Ahhh... fresh air! This is the first time this year I've been able to do that. It's a beautiful sunny 70*.... *sigh* How lovely. B)

TrailMix, that coffee looks amazingly delicious! I'd love to have a cup, but I wouldn't want to mess up the design.

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And I was impressed when the guy at Starbucks put a heart in the coffee..damn

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Timeline

So much for my gorgeous morning... had to close up the house. Had thunderstorms roll through earlier... now it's all humid, muggy, and gross outside with a thunderstorm watch in effect until 10pm. What happened to the sun??? sad2.gif

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Sorry - I think we are using up all your sun down here . . . We have just started our real summer weather - day time highs in the mid to high 80s with humidity to boot. It came out of nowhere on Friday. It was lovely Spring weather until then, but then we had huge thunderstorms move through on Thursday and the heat and humidity is now stuck on high outside. The skies are beautiful in that azure way they have done here that seems more intense than up north and there are a few cumulus clouds on the horizon but nothing threatening. Good thing we are having the HVAC system serviced on Wednesday because I may be needing to turn on the ac very soon. So far the fans can keep the inside at around 80 and since it is dropping into the mid 50s overnight I can leave the windows open and let the night air cool off the house.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Yeah, I've just had storm #4 move through here... lost my Internet b/c of storm #2 about 5 hours ago... but it's all good, now! It is starting to cool off. Every time I open my arcadia door (the sliding glass door) and put the fan in front of the screen, it starts to rain/storm again. LOL Kinda funny, if you ask me. So, here's hoping I can finish off the thank you notes with the nice outside cool air!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.