Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hiya everyone..

I chopped off all my hair today (was 1/2 way down my back).. have a good old ponytail of hair for locks of love now :) AHHHHHH spring do.. feels great!!!

:luv: - that's awesome of you Em.

Ahhh I'm a chia pet.. it's easy for me :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Oh Hot Cross Buns! I wish I had one! They are soooooo- good!

Well, Dad left on his trek back home this morning. He is going to drive straight up I-75 to Detroit and cross at Windsor then drive 401 to Kingston. I expect he will stop somewhere in northern Ohio for the night. The weather is good and the roads are dry - and he is well stocked with supplies for the drive (VBG) so I hope all goes well. I worry because of his age - he will be 80 in a few months - but he is healthy in both body and mind and has always been very active and independent. I saw nothing during his visit here to cause me any worries for his general safety on the way home.

It has been great to have him here but I will also enjoy having some time to myself again. He was here for 9 days and I know he enjoyed himself as well. He said that he still needs to come back - there are too many garage sales and flea markets that we left stuff at and he needs to correct that on the next visit (VBG!).

So, yardwork for us today - clearing out the branches we trimmed from the trees and butterfly bushes, cutting them up into mulchable sized pieces, weeding and spreading mulch on the gardens, mowing the lawn for the first time this year and weed-eating the back hill, especially around the bird feeders where the dropped seed is growing and thriving. I think I should just plant bird seed on the bare patches of the clay hill - it seems able to grow anywhere!

I have arranged to take the stray tomcat who has been hanging around to the reduced rate mobile spay/neuter clinic on Wednesday. Maybe once he is neutered he will start to look less scruffy and I will be able to find a home for him as well. He is actually very good-natured and friendly and starved for affection. Once he stops hanging around then it will only be the ferals to deal with and I am now feeding them away from the house so they only stop by to say hello, not to stay. Big Sigh - sure wish pet owners were more responsible and didn't abandon them to become someone else's problem.

Hope everyone is having a happy Easter.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Oh Hot Cross Buns! I wish I had one! They are soooooo- good!

Well, Dad left on his trek back home this morning. He is going to drive straight up I-75 to Detroit and cross at Windsor then drive 401 to Kingston. I expect he will stop somewhere in northern Ohio for the night. The weather is good and the roads are dry - and he is well stocked with supplies for the drive (VBG) so I hope all goes well. I worry because of his age - he will be 80 in a few months - but he is healthy in both body and mind and has always been very active and independent. I saw nothing during his visit here to cause me any worries for his general safety on the way home.

It has been great to have him here but I will also enjoy having some time to myself again. He was here for 9 days and I know he enjoyed himself as well. He said that he still needs to come back - there are too many garage sales and flea markets that we left stuff at and he needs to correct that on the next visit (VBG!).

So, yardwork for us today - clearing out the branches we trimmed from the trees and butterfly bushes, cutting them up into mulchable sized pieces, weeding and spreading mulch on the gardens, mowing the lawn for the first time this year and weed-eating the back hill, especially around the bird feeders where the dropped seed is growing and thriving. I think I should just plant bird seed on the bare patches of the clay hill - it seems able to grow anywhere!

I have arranged to take the stray tomcat who has been hanging around to the reduced rate mobile spay/neuter clinic on Wednesday. Maybe once he is neutered he will start to look less scruffy and I will be able to find a home for him as well. He is actually very good-natured and friendly and starved for affection. Once he stops hanging around then it will only be the ferals to deal with and I am now feeding them away from the house so they only stop by to say hello, not to stay. Big Sigh - sure wish pet owners were more responsible and didn't abandon them to become someone else's problem.

Hope everyone is having a happy Easter.

I'll wave as he passes by tomorrow... :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Hey, thanks! I'll tell him to watch for you when he calls in tonight to let me know how far he got! He should reach Detroit sometime mid morning I expect and London about 2 1/2 -3 hours later.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline
Hey, thanks! I'll tell him to watch for you when he calls in tonight to let me know how far he got! He should reach Detroit sometime mid morning I expect and London about 2 1/2 -3 hours later.

Actually, a faster route for him to get home (and MUCH friendlier, I might add) is for him to continue up 75 to Port Huron. There, he'd cross at the Blue Water Bridge and take 402 into London (get off at exit 89 and drive the road that becomes "new Oxford Road extension" in to London... that road becomes Fanshawe Park Road and he'll go right by Masonville Mall). Unless he lives on the east side of the city, continuing up to Port Huron might actually be faster.

I've gone both ways (and crossed at the Marine City/Sombra Bluewater Ferry). My fiance' is in London (and I'm heading there Tuesday night!) and I've gone every way possible over the border. Windsor/Detroit crossings aren't always the nicest/easiest. Also, you can go "faster" further on 75, than you can on 401. In addition, there's an easy off and on in Sarnia... road leads straight to a Tim Horton's, believe it or not!

But then again, considering his age, if he's more comfortable going his pre-planned route, I say more power to him! I'm impressed that he's doing so well!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the Bluewater route is nicer but it isn't shorter in driving distance for him as you end up driving that 1 1/2 hours drive through Detroit up to Port Huron and then that hour drive from Port Huron to London. He lives in Kingston so he has to travel another 5 hours or so east beyond London to get home . Going to Port Huron he would still have to negotiate Detroit traffic and roads and I-75 through Detroit is in appalling condition - the potholes have potholes. I would prefer him just to have to deal with the little bit of bad roads around the Ambassador Bridge because once he crosses into Windsor he is back on Canadian soil, the roads are decent, and he can stop for a coffee and a bit of a break before getting back on to 401. I also have friends he can call upon in Chatham if he runs into any trouble since I used to live there. Canadian customs shouldn't be a problem for him - he has been out of the country for 9 days and has no where near his limit:-), although yes, Sarnia customs are friendlier. He is a returning Canadian so he shouldn't have any problems. Going through US customs, yeah, that is a hassle, hehehe.

I used to date another American (before Joe) for a number of years who lived in Mt. Clemens area so I used to take the ferries at Sombra and Walpole Island very regularly. I enjoyed the ferries very much and only bothered to go north to Port Huron when the river was iced in and the ferries couldn't run. I used to hit that Tim Hortons after crossing the bridge too as it was a great place to take a restroom break on the way home - as well as a large Timmies.

Have a safe crossing on Tuesday and enjoy your visit.

Timeline
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the Bluewater route is nicer but it isn't shorter in driving distance for him as you end up driving that 1 1/2 hours drive through Detroit up to Port Huron and then that hour drive from Port Huron to London. He lives in Kingston so he has to travel another 5 hours or so east beyond London to get home . Going to Port Huron he would still have to negotiate Detroit traffic and roads and I-75 through Detroit is in appalling condition - the potholes have potholes. I would prefer him just to have to deal with the little bit of bad roads around the Ambassador Bridge because once he crosses into Windsor he is back on Canadian soil, the roads are decent, and he can stop for a coffee and a bit of a break before getting back on to 401. I also have friends he can call upon in Chatham if he runs into any trouble since I used to live there. Canadian customs shouldn't be a problem for him - he has been out of the country for 9 days and has no where near his limit:-), although yes, Sarnia customs are friendlier. He is a returning Canadian so he shouldn't have any problems. Going through US customs, yeah, that is a hassle, hehehe.

I used to date another American (before Joe) for a number of years who lived in Mt. Clemens area so I used to take the ferries at Sombra and Walpole Island very regularly. I enjoyed the ferries very much and only bothered to go north to Port Huron when the river was iced in and the ferries couldn't run. I used to hit that Tim Hortons after crossing the bridge too as it was a great place to take a restroom break on the way home - as well as a large Timmies.

Have a safe crossing on Tuesday and enjoy your visit.

I totally understand for him to continue on his original route. :)

I LOVE the ferry! The guys there even "know" us to the point where they only go through the motions of checking out my CRV, even though they don't really do a darn thing. I think the funniest things about crossing at a small POE is how much they get to know you. They noticed when I went from a brown Blazer to a blue CRV, they would ask why we were crossing THIS time... I even have nicknames for the CBP on the US side (Officer Friendly - even though he can be a cranky dude he likes us, Mr. Mexico - he's from Mexico). The only problem with Marine City/Sombra is it is also a training facility. So, if I don't get a guard I know, they put me through the wringer. Oh, well. I have nothing to hide! It's funny when a newbie is working with a guard I'm familiar with... they almost get annoyed with the newbie, too. :lol:

I actually called the Marine City POE to see if the process K1s, and they don't. Bummer. Oh, well. We'll go through Port Huron... Detroit CBPs can be nasty when you don't have anything at all! I can't even imagin what it would be like with 3 cars and a K1 Visa!!! Yuck. :blink:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Timeline
Hiya everyone..

I chopped off all my hair today (was 1/2 way down my back).. have a good old ponytail of hair for locks of love now :) AHHHHHH spring do.. feels great!!!

Oh wow, E. Looking forward to the pics!

Hope all is well. Its spring time in Midland which means... its still pretty cold, but most of the snow is gone. We went to Orillia today to do some shopping at Mariposa Market... have any of you ever been?? If not then you for sure need to go one day, it was always one of my favorite local places.

Going out to the movies and then perhaps going to rama after that to try to win some money, even though I never do.

Just wanted to stop in and say hi.

Bye now.

I've been to Mariposa Market! :lol: Say hi to my stepson and his family on your way to/from Rama. They live on the narrows. In fact, I'll be heading up there in a couple of weeks. Did you win anything?

I LOVE the ferry! The guys there even "know" us to the point where they only go through the motions of checking out my CRV, even though they don't really do a darn thing. I think the funniest things about crossing at a small POE is how much they get to know you. They noticed when I went from a brown Blazer to a blue CRV, they would ask why we were crossing THIS time... I even have nicknames for the CBP on the US side (Officer Friendly - even though he can be a cranky dude he likes us, Mr. Mexico - he's from Mexico). The only problem with Marine City/Sombra is it is also a training facility. So, if I don't get a guard I know, they put me through the wringer. Oh, well. I have nothing to hide! It's funny when a newbie is working with a guard I'm familiar with... they almost get annoyed with the newbie, too. :lol:

That's awesome. There was one guy who knew me by name at the Peace Bridge who used to apologize for keeping me waiting. :lol:

iagree.gif

Timeline
Where is someone? :unsure:

*watches tumbleweed go by*

I here!!! Waiting for hubby to get his lazy tooka out of bed to go out and play with me!! We both have the day off!! :dance:

Hiya everyone..

Oh wow, E. Looking forward to the pics!

They are on FB my friend :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Bonjour Every One!

Anyone been to Bali?

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Bonjour Every One!

Anyone been to Bali?

:star:

Hi there Spirit!

I haven't been to bali - I was supposed to go during High School (in Singapore) - but the treasurer for the trip spent all the money.

Why, are you going?

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.