Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Deadpool, you have insulted us! We consider her VERY important and most of us have ties to Britain. Most of my friends do not have any ties to America whatsoever.

Ahem, Your Majesty, you must forgive Deadpool as he knows not what he says. Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Maybe out there in the good ole West where you live you don't notice an influence, but many of us here on this board are god damn Englishwomen and Englishmen.

Do you know how I know this? I' will give you an example. Look at the types of food people put on the dinner table. I came to live in NJ and realized no one ate roast beef dinners and potatoes. No one had Yorkshire puddings or meat pies. These are things many Canadians eat!

Here here! My grandparents are from Ireland and Scotland, lots of British influences in our household. Growing up, meat potatoes and yorkshire pudding was every Sunday if not more!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline
Deadpool, you have insulted us! We consider her VERY important and most of us have ties to Britain. Most of my friends do not have any ties to America whatsoever.

Ahem, Your Majesty, you must forgive Deadpool as he knows not what he says. Send her victorious, happy and glorious, long to reign over us! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Maybe out there in the good ole West where you live you don't notice an influence, but many of us here on this board are god damn Englishwomen and Englishmen.

Do you know how I know this? I' will give you an example. Look at the types of food people put on the dinner table. I came to live in NJ and realized no one ate roast beef dinners and potatoes. No one had Yorkshire puddings or meat pies. These are things many Canadians eat!

Oh, how I miss meat pies. I make roast beef dinners once a month. :)

No Boxing Day was a big shock for me. Both Canada and Bermuda have kept Boxing Day. It didn't even occur to me before I moved that you'd have to go back to work the day after Christmas.

~ Catherine (Bermudian/Canadian ..... lots of Birtish influence)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Saying people have traditions about the quenn is different that the Queen having any real power over canada. One can say look here in this book" but come on, she doesn't have any more power than any rock or hockey star!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My issue wasn't with tradition. Believe it or not, there are many American traditions and going beyond that, there are religious traditions as well.

My point was that the Queen has very little power and say in Canadian government and the average Canadian's way of life. Royalty was, at one time, very powerful and had a large amount of influence. In today's world, the Queen is little more than a figurehead (with no real power to speak of) and the British monarchy, as a whole, exists more for tradition than anything else (unless you count the occasional tabloid story).

I really don't see how my outlook on this matter is, in any way, insulting. If nothing else, I consider myself standing up for the rights of Canadians. Why should the UK have any input in Canadian affairs? Canada is its own nation, with its own laws and people. Canadians are not "British subjects" but citizens of their own country. They answer to Canada and Canada only. Maybe some traditions from the UK are popular, but tradition and governing power are two very different things.

Timeline

My issue wasn't with tradition. Believe it or not, there are many American traditions and going beyond that, there are religious traditions as well.

My point was that the Queen has very little power and say in Canadian government and the average Canadian's way of life. Royalty was, at one time, very powerful and had a large amount of influence. In today's world, the Queen is little more than a figurehead (with no real power to speak of) and the British monarchy, as a whole, exists more for tradition than anything else (unless you count the occasional tabloid story).

I really don't see how my outlook on this matter is, in any way, insulting. If nothing else, I consider myself standing up for the rights of Canadians. Why should the UK have any input in Canadian affairs? Canada is its own nation, with its own laws and people. Canadians are not "British subjects" but citizens of their own country. They answer to Canada and Canada only. Maybe some traditions from the UK are popular, but tradition and governing power are two very different things.

Take it from one who knows, the royal family of Britian is in more than the occasional tabloid story, they are in the British tabloids almost weekly. The interest in them generates headlines and gossip that never ends.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

just got back from dropping my family off at the airport.... it was hard to say goodbye and I don't think the full force of it has hit me yet... I did almost start crying when I hugged my little sister goodbye.. she is a little lady now and fun to hang out with.. i wish I lived closer so we could go on shopping trips together etc... :(

before I left the airport my mom said they left us a gift and I was supposed to open it with the hubster but I couldn't wait and opened it when I got home :P... somehow they had found out where we had gotten our car repaired and paid half of what was left of the balance... (we had been waiting for our tax refund to come in to pay for it but it is now about week and half late .. :unsure:)

I feel bad for them paying it because they already spent a lot of money while they were here taking us out to eat and buying me a new set of pots and pans etc....

I really hope that maybe I can fly up to Canada later this year... we will have to see how things go..

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
just got back from dropping my family off at the airport.... it was hard to say goodbye and I don't think the full force of it has hit me yet... I did almost start crying when I hugged my little sister goodbye.. she is a little lady now and fun to hang out with.. i wish I lived closer so we could go on shopping trips together etc... :(

before I left the airport my mom said they left us a gift and I was supposed to open it with the hubster but I couldn't wait and opened it when I got home :P... somehow they had found out where we had gotten our car repaired and paid half of what was left of the balance... (we had been waiting for our tax refund to come in to pay for it but it is now about week and half late .. :unsure:)

I feel bad for them paying it because they already spent a lot of money while they were here taking us out to eat and buying me a new set of pots and pans etc....

I really hope that maybe I can fly up to Canada later this year... we will have to see how things go..

Awwww that's so sweet of them!!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

Marilyn.. that's what family is for.. to be generous and loving and a help in tough times... I don't know what we would have done without my Grandmie's help last year around this time.. bless her..

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline
yeah, I know.. I really appreciate them doing that for us...

the place seems so empty now that they are gone :(

I feel ya... when my Mom left I bawled :crying:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

I am really surprised that I haven't bawled.. I did cry here and there.. but all morning before they left I was thinking to myself that I didn't want to fall apart at the airport and start bawling my eyes out ...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
I am really surprised that I haven't bawled.. I did cry here and there.. but all morning before they left I was thinking to myself that I didn't want to fall apart at the airport and start bawling my eyes out ...

oh man.. that's so hard Marilyn... (F)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:o

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.