Sprailenes

Off Topic Part Deux

5,004 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've been noticing in some of the other forums the amount of "I want a divorce" posts going on lately.... It really makes me wonder about this whole situation. How many people are coming here and getting married after only meeting their SO one or two times? Shortly after they are married, they claim there is alot they didn't know about their SO and they now want a divorce. Alot of them want to stay here too, which also makes me wonder. I don't know how you could get to know someone well enough to marry after a few visits together. To me, this immigration journey was so serious and I put everything I have into it and never would have done this lightly. I'm not passing judgement on those who come here then shortly thereafter get divorced, I'm sure there is a good reason why. I'm just wondering why people would consider upheaving their whole lives, moving here to marry someone they apparently barely know.

Jill...I saw that too. It made me laugh SO hard! When they told her they were going to deport her she was like "But I'm CANADIAN!" :) I can't wait to see it. It will come out shortly before my birthday. I find it a little bit funny though that they're advertising so early. It's only February!

I also think it's kind of funny that Ryan Reynolds is the real Canadian!

I was wondering that myself. Probably because Oscar night generates so many viewers, it was a good time to get the first ad out there.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Probably quite a few marry after only meeting one or two times. I think the answer as to why anyone would do that is as varied as the people themselves.

I think marriage doesn't mean the same thing to all people. I'm not saying that anyone is entering in to a marriage thinking it will not work out - but some may not take it all that seriously - and that is ok - that's for them to decide really.

Also, Canadians - for U.S. spousal visas specifically - have easy access to the U.S. and their partners have easy access to Canada - what if your SO is in Australia or Turkey or Pakistan.

Scenario - your SO is in Australia - a ticket to visit with a good sale would cost you around say $1200 with fees. You have a regular job where you get say 2 weeks holiday a year.

This brings about two barriers for spending long periods of time together. First of all $1200 is a lot of money to a lot of people. Secondly, most people only get 2 weeks holiday a year.

Anyway, spousal immigration is not only for people who have an endless amount of free time and money and therefore their visiting opportunities may be limited. I can see how they would want to stay here - they have focused themselves on moving to the U.S. - planned their life here and now, although they may want a divorce or separation - that doesn't change the other plans they made. Plus, they may feel there could be a chance for reconciliation, in some cases, which would be harder to do from another country.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

You bring up very valid points Tmix. The fact that we in Canada have such easy access to the US makes visiting even for a weekend much easier. I'm just thinking of myself personally I guess, I couldn't imagine moving and getting married after only meeting once or twice. I probably wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't work out, because there is alot you learn about someone in person and not on the phone/internet.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

A couple of weeks ago Mike and I broke the garlic press because I had this bright idea to try pressing ginger in it... it was a quality press but the handle snapped off.

So yesterday I am at the grocery store and I pick up this garlic press that was $7.00 and I decided to buy it.

Mike looks at it and says hesitantly: "Well.... I guess that will do.... for now"

I thought, how great would it be if that garlic press lasted our entire lives! And I told him that... "You watch this 'cheap press' will last us forever! We don't need to spend an arm and a leg at Williams Sonoma for the same thing!" and I was quite pleased with my find.

Well, anyways, we bring it home and I get the first clove of garlic to press it and... SNAP the thing breaks in two.

Mike just looked at me and said: "Aww that was supposed to last us our entire lives" :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline
A couple of weeks ago Mike and I broke the garlic press because I had this bright idea to try pressing ginger in it... it was a quality press but the handle snapped off.

So yesterday I am at the grocery store and I pick up this garlic press that was $7.00 and I decided to buy it.

Mike looks at it and says hesitantly: "Well.... I guess that will do.... for now"

I thought, how great would it be if that garlic press lasted our entire lives! And I told him that... "You watch this 'cheap press' will last us forever! We don't need to spend an arm and a leg at Williams Sonoma for the same thing!" and I was quite pleased with my find.

Well, anyways, we bring it home and I get the first clove of garlic to press it and... SNAP the thing breaks in two.

Mike just looked at me and said: "Aww that was supposed to last us our entire lives" :lol:

:lol: That sucks!! I know this is bad because cooking with real garlic is a million times better, but I got tired of my fingers smelling for like 2 days after peeling and cutting it, so I've just started using the garlic in a jar in the juice and garlic powder in lieu of real garlic cloves. There is no comparision but anyway LOL

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

:lol: That sucks!! I know this is bad because cooking with real garlic is a million times better, but I got tired of my fingers smelling for like 2 days after peeling and cutting it, so I've just started using the garlic in a jar in the juice and garlic powder in lieu of real garlic cloves. There is no comparision but anyway LOL

Is there HFCS in that jarred garlic Jill?? :P

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Is there HFCS in that jarred garlic Jill?? :P

Probably since it's in everything else :lol:

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
:lol: That sucks!! I know this is bad because cooking with real garlic is a million times better, but I got tired of my fingers smelling for like 2 days after peeling and cutting it,

Proven to work, touch anything stainless steel after cooking or cutting or any sort of handling garlic. If your faucets stainless steel just rub your hand along it for a second or 2 while lathering. I usually grab a fork of a knife and lather with that in my hands, then rinse. Kills the smell instantly! Try it!

Edited by xtinab

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Timeline
:lol: That sucks!! I know this is bad because cooking with real garlic is a million times better, but I got tired of my fingers smelling for like 2 days after peeling and cutting it,

Proven to work, touch anything stainless steel after cooking or cutting or any sort of handling garlic. If your faucets stainless steel just rub your hand along it for a second or 2 while lathering. I usually grab a fork of a knife and lather with that in my hands, then rinse. Kills the smell instantly! Try it!

Oh really, that's good to know! Thanks for the tip!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

I feel sick to my stomach with nerves. :dead: I'm having lunch with a judge about a job. And I just keep picturing us sitting in utter silence trying to find something to talk about.

I keep hoping my phone is going to ring, and its him asking to reschedule.

Timeline

Don't order something messy like Spaghetti!! Keep ur elbows off the table! And watch a few episodes of matlock, and ur good to go!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Don't order something messy like Spaghetti!! Keep ur elbows off the table! And watch a few episodes of matlock, and ur good to go!!

:lol: - good advice. Matlock always won didn't he?!

Timeline

Yea you'll be fine! Besides it will probably be a lot of small talk about where you're from and how you like it in Hawaii now.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

so Sprailenes - no, the jar of minced garlic doesn't have HFCS - just garlic! That is what we use - but I loved your story about the garlic press!

Well, more on the cat saga - the cat that the Atlanta Humane Society wouldn't take because she has been a stray too long is currently safely in the garage set up with a bed, a litter box, food and water waiting for her spay appointment tomorrow. I was worried about when she would show up and while I don't like keeping her confined in the garage this long, I don't want to risk her not being around for her appointment tomorrow. I will worry tonight about her as it is to go below freezing and the garage isn't heated but she has lots of cozy blankets so hopefully she will be fine. I was thinking she might be upset being stuck in the garage - she's been there 1 1/2 hours so far - so I went to look. She has made herself perfectly at home on the old sofa there and was sleeping with her paws drawn up under her chest. Phew! She is definitely pregnant again - just starting to show - so at least now she - and we - won't be saddled with more kittens. I am still looking for a home for her and suspect it will be easier with her spayed and vaccinated. She is such a nice little kitty and so friendly. She deserves a good home.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.