Laura & Lyle

K1 and I-601

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance while making a visit to the USA this summer was turned back at the Port of Minneapolis. She was given no report nor asked to sign anything.

So here we are months later with our K1 in process waiting for our NOA2 and we have been trying unsuccesfully to get the report from the C&BP. We finally got a letter thru my state senator that says she will also need to submit an I-601 Waiver.

Has anybody else gone thru this and if so were there any proactive steps to be taken before the interview?

Is this something that should cause concern that it will hold up the K1 VISA?

My fiance while making a visit to the USA this summer was turned back at the Port of Minneapolis. She was given no report nor asked to sign anything.

So here we are months later with our K1 in process waiting for our NOA2 and we have been trying unsuccesfully to get the report from the C&BP. We finally got a letter thru my state senator that says she will also need to submit an I-601 Waiver.

Has anybody else gone thru this and if so were there any proactive steps to be taken before the interview?

I would say it depends on why she was denied entry?

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

What was the reason for the denied enttry? That is the important thing to find out. Customs and Border Patrol generally don't know much about the visa process or wiavers. You cannot submit the waiver until it is requested by the consulate. This will be determined at her visa interview. And if a waiver is needed, it will delay the K-1 process by several months. It adds a whole new dimension and headache to the process. Find out why she was denied entry and hopefully she won't need a waiver.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Can you find out what they stamped on her passport?

Edited by *Giuly and Rocky*

OUR TIMELINE for K1

09.26.2008: Petition Sent to California Service Center by UPS

10.01.2008: NOA1

11.12.2008: NOA2

11.17.2008: NVC Received Our Case

11.24.2008: Consulate Received Our Case

12.29.2008: Medical Exam at 8.15 am / PASSED

12.30.2008: INTERVIEW AT 10.00 A.M. / VISA IN HAND!

01.23.2009: POE

02.21.2009: Wedding

OUR TIMELINE for AOS

04.16.2009: AOS Package Sent To Chicago by UPS

04.21.2009: NOA1

05.14.2009: Biometrics Appointment and Touch for AOS and EAD

06.01.2009: EAD Card Ordered and AP Approved

06.05.2009: Received AP in the Mailbox

06.08.2009: Received EAD in the Mailbox

08.22.2009: INTERVIEW AT 12.30 P.M. / APPROVED!

09.02.2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

OUR TIMELINE for I-751

06.03.2011: I-751 Package Sent To California Service Center

06.07.2011: NOA1

06.27.2011: Biometrics Appointment

12.19.2011: NOA2

12.23.2011: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

An Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (Form 601) becomes necessary when a visa applicant has been determined to be “inadmissible” based on one more visa ineligibilities. Doing a search online will get you loads of information.

Even when you are given the opportunity to withdraw your petition for US entrance (otherwise known as denied entry)... your passport is stamped, you are questioned and given a copy of the affidavit which you must sign. This, in itself, usually has no effect on the K-1.

Was her passport stamped? Did your rep's office give you the reason for refusal of entry? I assume they would know if they already told you she would need a waiver. Does she have previous overstays in the States?

Without having more information it's hard to say why the waiver will be needed. But, as stated, it will most likely come after an initial denial. It doesn't mean you wont get the visa...eventually....unless, of course, she is found inadmissible for reasons that would initiate a lifetime ban.

timeline.jpg

Timeline
An Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (Form 601) becomes necessary when a visa applicant has been determined to be “inadmissible” based on one more visa ineligibilities. Doing a search online will get you loads of information.

Even when you are given the opportunity to withdraw your petition for US entrance (otherwise known as denied entry)... your passport is stamped, you are questioned and given a copy of the affidavit which you must sign. This, in itself, usually has no effect on the K-1.

Was her passport stamped? Did your rep's office give you the reason for refusal of entry? I assume they would know if they already told you she would need a waiver. Does she have previous overstays in the States?

Without having more information it's hard to say why the waiver will be needed. But, as stated, it will most likely come after an initial denial. It doesn't mean you wont get the visa...eventually....unless, of course, she is found inadmissible for reasons that would initiate a lifetime ban.

Thanks to all for your replys. We have been told that she withdrew her petition for US entrance and the CBP supervisor did scribble something unreadable in her passport. But she was not given anything to sign and there is no report that we can get of her denied entry from the Port of Minneapolis. We have been told she will need a visa to enter and per CBP in Washington she was attempting to immigrate and did not answer questions so no report was made. She was told on the phone by the CBP supervisor that turned her away that there is no report.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
Thanks to all for your replys. We have been told that she withdrew her petition for US entrance and the CBP supervisor did scribble something unreadable in her passport. But she was not given anything to sign and there is no report that we can get of her denied entry from the Port of Minneapolis. We have been told she will need a visa to enter and per CBP in Washington she was attempting to immigrate and did not answer questions so no report was made. She was told on the phone by the CBP supervisor that turned her away that there is no report.

If she was allowed to withdrawn her application to entry the USA I think you will need no waiver. Still i don't understand why they didn't give her any paperwork...they usually take fingerprints and pics and give you a copy of the question they make you and of the answer you give them (i've been trought that)...mmm...thats weird! But if she was allowed to withdrawn her application everything should be fine...what you guys think?

OUR TIMELINE for K1

09.26.2008: Petition Sent to California Service Center by UPS

10.01.2008: NOA1

11.12.2008: NOA2

11.17.2008: NVC Received Our Case

11.24.2008: Consulate Received Our Case

12.29.2008: Medical Exam at 8.15 am / PASSED

12.30.2008: INTERVIEW AT 10.00 A.M. / VISA IN HAND!

01.23.2009: POE

02.21.2009: Wedding

OUR TIMELINE for AOS

04.16.2009: AOS Package Sent To Chicago by UPS

04.21.2009: NOA1

05.14.2009: Biometrics Appointment and Touch for AOS and EAD

06.01.2009: EAD Card Ordered and AP Approved

06.05.2009: Received AP in the Mailbox

06.08.2009: Received EAD in the Mailbox

08.22.2009: INTERVIEW AT 12.30 P.M. / APPROVED!

09.02.2009: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

OUR TIMELINE for I-751

06.03.2011: I-751 Package Sent To California Service Center

06.07.2011: NOA1

06.27.2011: Biometrics Appointment

12.19.2011: NOA2

12.23.2011: GREEN CARD IN HAND!

If she was allowed to withdraw, then you shouldn't need a waiver. A few Canadians I know were turned around at the border. One had to do the fingerprinting and photo thing at the time as well, but the other one didn't. Either way, they couldn't visit again, until they got their visas. At the interview in Canada, they were asked about the visit (they did have a record of it), they explained the situation, about trying to visit and not immigrate etc. and were told no biggie, wouldn't affect anything, and that this happens to some Canadians. They didn't need a waiver.

I'm not sure about other countries, but this was a Canadian experience.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I agree with what Carla posted above. As long as she didn't have any prior violations and was allowed to withdraw her application for admission, there is no need for a waiver.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. It is comforting. We have been trying to obtain a copy of her interview and withdrawl but have been unsuccessful.

I agree with what Carla posted above. As long as she didn't have any prior violations and was allowed to withdraw her application for admission, there is no need for a waiver.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. It is comforting. We have been trying to obtain a copy of her interview and withdrawl but have been unsuccessful.

Was there anything stamped in her passport? Keep attempting to get that information though!

Sorry, I just read that you posted at the beginning that what they wrote was not legible in her passport. I hope you get a copy of the interview and something that lets you know what it is they wrote in her passport. Was it numbers they wrote? Can you discern that at least? That might help to know that.

Let us know when you do hear anything, maybe we can better help then!

Best of luck!

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.