mox

Superstitions

124 posts in this topic

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Giving of a watch or a clock to a loved one is bad luck, because when it stops working the relationship will end.

Whistling in the house means you will lose money.

If your nose is itchy it means you will have a drink soon. or you will get kissed soon.

If you return home because you forgot something you must look in the mirror ~ else you might not return

Give flowers in odd numbers -> so the flower people can sell you 11 but charge you for 12.

Before starting off on a trip, sit down and pause, so you can have safe trip. I think it is more about so you don't forget anything.

Always give your GF, MIL's a gift on March 8th, that is just for keeping the peace.

Always put empty bottles on the floor, never leave them on the dinner table.

Never buy any items for the baby before it is born, otherwise something bad will happen to the baby.

Don't run with scissors in the house, that just seems like common sense.

Don't wish someone Happy Birthday before the actual day, otherwise they will die before their birthday.

Don't cook bacon in the nude. It just hurts.

Strangest one I heard was... on New Years Eve, put your keys under your pillow, and you will see in your dreams your future husband / wife.

Don't cook bacon in the nude. It just hurts.

Field & Stream reader?

F&S has these "helpful hints" that they print every issue. A few months back someone wrote in and said, "don't fry bacon naked." It was so funny they now have a "DFBN award" for the worst tip every month.

We were sitting outside on Sunday, it was about 80 degrees, warm and sunny, and we sat on the stoop. (Concrete steps.) My wife got up, walked out to her car to get a small pillow, came back and sat on it. "Woman must not sit on cold ground. Bad for woman parts." So, even in the Spring, it's still bad.

Tonight I talked to her on the phone. She's at the beach right now (little vacation) and she said something to the effect of "If I'm out in the sun too long I'll get bad sunburn.... ptoooey! Phtooooey! PHTOOOOOEY!" She still makes that little spitting sound whenever she talks about something "bad" happening to either one of us.

And, finally..... I needed to cut my hair over the weekend. She told me to wait until Wednesday becuase "the moon will be better" for haricut. She got hers cut last Thursday or something and when I asked if she was going to color it too she said, "today not good moon for color. Only for cut." I guess there's a website out there that even tells you when the moon is right for your hair.

I didn't know it was that serious. And I wish it would start working soon too because I've been doing that "hold the ATM card up to the full moon" thing for over two years now and I'm still broke. COME ON SUPERSTITIONS!!!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey, Slim. Let's market a Russian Superstition calendar.

Phil

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Field & Stream reader?

F&S has these "helpful hints" that they print every issue. A few months back someone wrote in and said, "don't fry bacon naked." It was so funny they now have a "DFBN award" for the worst tip every month.

Nah!!! just a really old thing I heard when I was a kid. I think I read it in Playboy. Other helpful tip, sex on the beach may sound romantic, but you will be trying to get sand out of places for weeks.

The thing with the moon and the haircuts...I think it might just be her mood and not moon.

Hey, Slim. Let's market a Russian Superstition calendar.

I believe someone already beat us to it. She goes to some site to check moon status. I doubt Russian women would ever listen to American men, they don't around here, anyway!

The thing with the moon and the haircuts...I think it might just be her mood and not moon.

That's what I thought too but she busted out some calendar. "See, it's real. Right here it says moon grow up, good for hair and new transformation of self." I'm still waiting on that ATM card thingy to work. Waiting... waiting.... waiting.... not holding my breath though.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I'm still waiting on that ATM card thingy to work. Waiting... waiting.... waiting.... not holding my breath though.

Maybe flip the card over, maybe you are holding the card wrong? :D

She actually has, no $#!t, told me to turn it around. I was holding it upside down and backwards, "it not will be work like zis. You must hold more correct."

Usually anything I touch goes all to hell so if it's money-related, it's her deal.

Русский форум член.

I think that's what she's afraid of.

Русский форум член.

Na...the better answer is.... that she is afraid of the 10" python in your pants. :D

He must have held that up to the moon too.

well, i whistled in the house today. i got "don't do it. it means...no money." guess i forgot about this thread. also, his mother said we have to marry when the moon is waxing for luck in marriage.

on a side note, he brought me some f*d up belorussian flu. his remedies include the regular gargling of salt water and drinking warm lemon water. in addition, he made me wrap a vodka-soaked towel around my neck to ease muscle soreness. i look like an accident victim. this is fun.

It could be worse. Vike eats lemons (skin and all) when she feels bad. But she believes antibiotics will just make her more sick.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

If you haven't taken Vika to the doctor yet, you're in for a treat! Nothing like explaining how co-pays and office visit fees, prescriptions, etc. work and then hearing her say, "American doctors so stupid."

Yep. Nothing like spending several hundred bucks on "nothing."

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Spitting 3X is an important tool in fighting off the bad luck. Never describe someone's illness or injury by pointing to your own body parts or you will find yourself covered in Russian spit!

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

It could be worse. Vike eats lemons (skin and all) when she feels bad. But she believes antibiotics will just make her more sick.

Sveta does it too. Helps with her sore throat. How? I don't know, I guess the influx of vitamin C. Although she makes the cutest face when she eats the lemon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.