mox

Superstitions

124 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Go to shake a Russian's hand over a threshold and the look you get will make you think you just took a dump on their doorstep.

Well, did you? :P

There's absolutely no photographic evidence that such an event ever occurred, and in my defense I think the borscht might have been a little off.

Bwahaha! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't describe someone's pain or illness by pointing to your own body (or leg, arm head etc) or you will get the same illness.

Spit 3X to ward off evil or the devil.

Before leaving on a long trip everyone must sit silently for a few minutes just before leaving (this ensures that the traveler will return).

Never give an even number of flowers or yellow flowers to a living person!!! (these are for funerals only)

Feb 11, 2005 ZAGS wedding in Moscow

Aug 7,2005 married in the Cathedral in Dmitrov

June 27, 2008 mail I-130

July 11,2008 sent I-129F

Oct 2, 2008 Yuri received packets 3+4 from US Embassy Moscow

Nov 20, 2008 Interview....VISA APPROVED!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2008 Yuri arrived! No problems :)

April 20, 2009 mailed AOS

May 4, 2009 medical exam

May 21, 2009 biometrics done

June 5, 2009 received EAD by mail

Aug 10, 2009 interview-given greencard congradulations letter with stamp

We actually just got back from our trip and we sat silently for a few minutes before leaving.... so that one's gotta be true, right?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My new mother-in-law kept hitting me everytime I was in the house whistling and I had no clue why.

silly I think but I suppose if thats what you're raised on...

oh and another I heard was you can't cross the threshold back into your house if you forgot something. someone must hand it to you or you must look in the mirror and blah blah blah.

If this is the way the world works I should be condemned to poverty and death for as many umbrellas indoors and mirrors I've broken.

:thumbs:

"Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death"

-Hunter S. Thompson

My new mother-in-law kept hitting me everytime I was in the house whistling and I had no clue why.

silly I think but I suppose if thats what you're raised on...

oh and another I heard was you can't cross the threshold back into your house if you forgot something. someone must hand it to you or you must look in the mirror and blah blah blah.

If this is the way the world works I should be condemned to poverty and death for as many umbrellas indoors and mirrors I've broken.

:thumbs:

Mee too. In Eastern Europe alone, I think I have whistled my way into 10,000 years of bad luck - or whatever the penalty is. :wacko:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

I've encountered the moments of reflection before a trip. My wife says a prayer for our safe return. As far as whistling, my whistle is not very good anyway, so it's not a problem

I wonder what they would say is I sang along with a song on the radio. I use to do that to embarass my kids when they were younger. One of the joys of parenthood.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Whistling indoors is supposed to bring bad financial luck to that home, by way of clarification.

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Whistling indoors is supposed to bring bad financial luck to that home, by way of clarification.

It must only work if you believe in it. I am having a great year, but I will keep the financial angle in mind.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My grandma used to say "dont whistle in the house, it brings bad luck, you'll end up with a stupid man"

The sad part is I love to whistle to a song, while doing dishes.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

I whistled in the house last night and my wife asked if I wanted us to be poor. I guess whistling in the house makes you poor.

:lol:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't pick up change off the ground or you will become poor, even if it's your change and you dropped it. (This one I think is really dumb, because you're losing the money you dropped.)

If you knock heads with someone or step on their foot, they have to do it back to you or you will quarrel in the future.

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.