TayL

My Cat

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
HPIM0097.jpg

Whoa...Dude...We *totally* have the same cat!

I swear, they could be brothers!!

post-45927-1229126624_thumb.jpg

post-45927-1229126635_thumb.jpg

"Я тебя люблю. Эти слова имеют мою жизнь в них."

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

He really does look like Leo, only yours has a whiter "bib" I think. They do look like brothers, though!

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Timeline
He really does look like Leo, only yours has a whiter "bib" I think. They do look like brothers, though!

I know...it's weird! Kane's given us that very same look before too!! Even tho he doesn't look it, we suspect he might be part Maine ####### as he makes these "chirpy" meows, plays with his water, talks *all* the time, and occasionally is a bit of a spaz - even tho he's 11 years old! Is Leo of the same persuasion, perhaps?

Eligible for N-400 early based on Section 329 of the INA, Service During Hostilities

lLNXm5.png

Timeline

I know...it's weird! Kane's given us that very same look before too!! Even tho he doesn't look it, we suspect he might be part Maine ####### as he makes these "chirpy" meows, plays with his water, talks *all* the time, and occasionally is a bit of a spaz - even tho he's 11 years old! Is Leo of the same persuasion, perhaps?

Leo's the same, but we think he's got some abyssinian in him. There was an abby escape in our area a few years back, and apparently Abbies can be similar in personality to the maine coons, but they're smaller and more slender. Leo's a TOTAL spaz. My sister came in to wake me up this morning and stepped on him because he tried to attack the bottom of her foot when she took a step. He also runs in circles constantly.

In other news, my "cat hater" fiancé wants to get a Bengal cat after I move down cause he's decided they're amazing.

March 13, 2009--Visa application handed to the post office.

March 16, 2009--Visa application received by Vermont Service Centre at 11:01 am. Let's hope that he actually put in everything he thought he did and they don't send it back to us!!

March 23, 2009--Got the whole package back. The cheque was apparently filled out incorrectly, thanks to the fact that his moronic flatmates helped him and instructed him wrong for the first cheque he ever filled out.

March 30, 2009--NOA1

August 12, 2009--Touched

September 1, 2009, received Package 1 from Montreal--but where is our NOA2???

Timeline

Leo's the same, but we think he's got some abyssinian in him. There was an abby escape in our area a few years back, and apparently Abbies can be similar in personality to the maine coons, but they're smaller and more slender. Leo's a TOTAL spaz. My sister came in to wake me up this morning and stepped on him because he tried to attack the bottom of her foot when she took a step. He also runs in circles constantly.

In other news, my "cat hater" fiancé wants to get a Bengal cat after I move down cause he's decided they're amazing.

Kane does that sometimes too! He'll do this little sideways shuffle thing and go tearing up and down the hallway. He's very sweet and affectionate, tho - got a very unique personality :)

Hubby is definitely a dog person. He wanted one, but we live in a second floor apartment, and I *hate* taking a dog out in the cold. He really loves Kane though - pretty much picked him out :) I think most guys prefer dogs, but they can be persuaded to love a cat so long as it's a good fit :)

lLNXm5.png

• 7 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Super cute kitties in this thread!

When we got our cats checked out at the vet I inquired about what documents we need plus whatever vaccinations. She told us (and I knew the part about rabies from moving to Canada) that our cats did not need a rabies vaccination as they're older and Canada is considered a 'rabies-free' country (the US is not).

Also, the airlines are the only ones that require a bill of health.

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

Hmm, someone has some wrong information. Canada is definitely NOT a rabies free zone. There are ongoing problems with rabies throughout the country with some bad pockets here and there. A few years before I left there was a raccoon acting very strange in the middle of the day - walking down the center of the street, rolling over, batting at its face, running backward, acting almost like it was drunk. The police came and shot it. Because I was concerned about possible rabies as this happened right in front of my house I asked the police to let me know if the results came back positive for rabies. They called a few weeks later to tell me that the raccoon was indeed rabid.

Rabies is also prevalent in the US and it is mandatory in every state that I know of for cats and dogs to have regular rabies shots - whether they are older or not. Older cats may not require regular vaccinations for other illnesses since they will probably have immunity to them after years of vaccination- panleukopenia ("feline distemper"), feline leukemia, herpesvirus, calicivirus - but rabies is not one of the ones to which they develop an immunity.

While there are no federal requirements in the US for cats to have rabies shots, it is because rabies management is a state issue and not a federal one. There are State requirements for rabies vaccinations. You should definitely check out the requirements for the state to where you are moving or in which you are living.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Hmm, someone has some wrong information. Canada is definitely NOT a rabies free zone. There are ongoing problems with rabies throughout the country with some bad pockets here and there. A few years before I left there was a raccoon acting very strange in the middle of the day - walking down the center of the street, rolling over, batting at its face, running backward, acting almost like it was drunk. The police came and shot it. Because I was concerned about possible rabies as this happened right in front of my house I asked the police to let me know if the results came back positive for rabies. They called a few weeks later to tell me that the raccoon was indeed rabid.

Rabies is also prevalent in the US and it is mandatory in every state that I know of for cats and dogs to have regular rabies shots - whether they are older or not. Older cats may not require regular vaccinations for other illnesses since they will probably have immunity to them after years of vaccination- panleukopenia ("feline distemper"), feline leukemia, herpesvirus, calicivirus - but rabies is not one of the ones to which they develop an immunity.

While there are no federal requirements in the US for cats to have rabies shots, it is because rabies management is a state issue and not a federal one. There are State requirements for rabies vaccinations. You should definitely check out the requirements for the state to where you are moving or in which you are living.

They shot the racoon!? :( You think they could have called the humane society so the racoon could be trapped and put to sleep humanely

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Yes, they shot him. I'm not sure the Humane Society would have done anything different. It was a wild animal, not a cat or a dog and everyone wanted to keep their distance from the animal because of the very real danger from rabies. I've gone through the rabies treatment after being bitten by a feral cat - it is not pleasant at all - although with only 3 injections it was infinitely better than previously when a large number of shots were necessary over a period of time. I felt sad for the raccoon too. :( but also relieved that it was now out of its misery - and it sure did appear miserable.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Super cute kitties in this thread!

When we got our cats checked out at the vet I inquired about what documents we need plus whatever vaccinations. She told us (and I knew the part about rabies from moving to Canada) that our cats did not need a rabies vaccination as they're older and Canada is considered a 'rabies-free' country (the US is not).

Also, the airlines are the only ones that require a bill of health.

Cats do not need a rabies shot to travel to the U.S. - in general - however, yes, an airline might require it. Also, as Kathryn mentioned - many States require it.

To travel from the U.S. to Canada cats do need a current rabies vaccination.

Timeline

took my 2 cats to boston and back in 2008.. (was there visiting for 5 months) and one of them was really cool about it both ways, barely making a peep and just sleeping in her carrier. the other cat.. bandit, the asthmatic kitty who acts more like a dog, she was horrible. i sedated her before i left, early early morning, hitting the border before dawn, and they never asked a thing about the cats.

bandit eventually started putting up a fuss and i let her out. i was driving alone, and basically i did everything i could to avoid letting her by the pedals. mainly she crept back and forth between my lap and the passenger seat. occasionally she'd sleep on a blanket either on the passenger seat or my lap. she would occasionally get really excited and start panting (hallmark of asthmatic kitty), but overall, we got there in one piece.

on the way back, i did NOT sedate Bandit at all. she cried alllll the way through Massachusetts. We were stuck in traffic approaching the NY border, and I had let her out, but she was just fussing the entire time, so much so that she had the beginnings of a full-blown asthma attack. i pulled over to get out the inhaler with adapter but she seemed to stop as soon as i was ready to give her a puff. so off i went again.

When I hit the next rest station, I pulled off the interstate and grabbed myself a drink, then got the cats outside in their carriers.

Oh, a note: it was Late march when i drove down, and late august when i drove back. i don't have air conditioning.

I sat with the cats at that NY rest station for probably a good 20 min. they sat calmly in their carriers, feeling the breeze and keeping an eye on the dog someone else had taken out for a pee. i kept them safe, i talked to them.

for the REST of the way home to Toronto, they did not let out a peep. both slept right through the rest of NY, and across the border, and home. occasionally a little fuss when starting and stopping, but mainly if i ignored it, listened to music and kept &*myself* calm, it went ok.

it was stressful, for sure. and a 9-10 hour drive was 12 hours because of the cats.

also, i don't think either of them used the litter box (or the carrier) the entire time. maybe once, when i stopped at a rest stop.

some cats like to explore, and some like the safety of the carrier.

keep the sun off them.

good luck

>^..^<

PS guess what the other cat's name is..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My cat has always been a fussy traveller as well, so I will look at picking up some of the feliway while I am in the states this weekend. The one thing I found that helps him a lot is not feeding him before we embark on a journey. He tends to get car sick if he eats anything and makes this awful meow until he is sick, then is better after. I found by not feeding him kept his tummy a bit mellower! I always let him have some water and bring some with, but he usually isn't all that interested in it. I always bring some empty plastic bags, some disposable gloves and wipes just in case!!!!

Timeline

I reserved my spot for my cats on DELTA, they are coming on as carry-on luggage and do not require a clean bill of health. I think that is only required if you are shipping them as cargo.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.