wakeyDC

Fingerprints expired during I-751

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just received a notice in the mail from USCIS that says, "Your fingerprint card on file with USCIS has expired. In order for USCIS to continue processing your application, it will be necessary to have your fingerprints re-taken. This will be completed at no additional expense to you."

My I-751 was filed on January 14 at VSC. I haven't heard anything from USCIS since I did my biometrics in mid-February.

Has anyone else had to re-do their fingerprints during the lengthy approval process? Any theories why this might be?

Many thanks

Timeline

I have heard that fingerprints somehow "expire" at USCIS but had the impression it took longer than a year for that to happen.

Our I-751 was submitted in the same time frame as yours, also at VSC. Biometrics in the same time period as well. Haven't heard anything nor seen any "touches" online. Has your online CRIS status changed any since the biometrics date?

kenk3z

Edited by kenk3z

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Fingerprints expire in 15 months. It could be that they expect it has the potential to be a few more months before your approval comes through and they are anticipating you will need new fingerprints before your approval. That is all I can think of right now. Hopefully, you will get your approval long before that time.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Did you actually submit your fingerprints on a "fingerprint card", like ink on your fingers?

I think the way fingerprints were taken of my wife was by an electronic scan. That was at the center on Route 1 near FT. Belvoir.

Did you go somewhere else for biometrics? Did they use a real card to take your fingerprints?

Did the letter you received provide an appointment somewhere to get new biometrics? Or instructions on what to do next?

kenk3z

Kenk3z -

They sent me an appointment notice for next week at the same place I went in February (and also for the original 2yr card). Both times it was the electronic scan at the place near Ft. Belvoir.

I haven't had any touches online. The most recent entry is just "your application has been received" etc.

Timeline

As things developed, my wife's I-751 was approved yesterday.

The only thing I can think of is that they were getting ready to work on your case, and discovered that your fingerprints were not fully readable. That's just a total guess on my part. But the reason you were given, that your fingerprints "expired" is not consistent with anything else I've ever heard.

Normally if fingerprints are judged to be not readable, they call you back fairly quickly to get them redone. I expect what happened in your case was that someone dropped the ball on getting you back in for a repeat biometrics appointment earlier, and are now just doing a cover-up by declaring your fingerprints expired.

Presuming they have to start the fingerprint check all over again, it may be some time before you get approved. I hope I'm wrong. But you should probably start thinking about making an InfoPass appointment to get a stamp in your passport as an extension of your travel documentation. This was something I really didn't want to do in my wife's case because I've heard they take your original green card before giving you the stamp. I wanted to keep that card as a keepsake for her and future generations.

Good luck and I hope your case moves along quickly once the fingerprints are done (again).

kenk3z

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.