Big Papa Zone

Hypothetical K1 Question

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
FYI a non-emergency AP should take around 3 months. Also, your planned trip is during the holidays so even if you apply for an emergency AP it make take a little longer.

Emergency AP is generally either denied or granted on the spot. The larger complication is the marriage would have to occur first.

Trying this is a bad idea, IMO unless you see the CBP in Dublin where you have the option of turning around and going home without using your ticket.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Not really a useful comment for the OP, but me just venting my frustration. This is an example of just how silly, capricious, and moribund with red rape our government has become...especially when it comes to entry. They'd like us to think it's to protect us from illegal immigrants or terrorists with briefcase nukes, but it's all just smoke and mirrors. My fiancee' and I fall in to the same category as the OP. She's got a B-2, and yet we've filed for a K-1. Even if the K-1 is approved early, we don't plan on her moving here until at least late next summer due to financial reasons and the fact I'm job hunting (already have a full time job, just looking to relocate). We'd like her to be able to come and go on her B-2 until we're ready to have her move, but I recognize that's risky since the K-1 has been filed, and probably downright impossible after it's already entered in her passport.

The big question is "why?"

The answer we're given is that the application of a K-1 (if the POE even can see a pending application, which is arguable) or the approval of same, shows immigrant intent. We wouldn't want to let you in on a B-2 because your K-1 makes it look like you want to move here! Does this just boggle everyone's mind, or is it just me? Of course there's immigrant intent, you idiots! :bonk: She's been approved for a K-1, hasn't she? She's going to move here at some point or another, that much is guaranteed once the K-1 is approved. Does it truly make any difference whether she stays now or later?

Okay, I'm done venting. I feel much better now. :lol:

February 2008: Met while in Thailand

March 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

May 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her

June 2008: Joint vacation to Italy

July 2008: Applied for and received B-2 tourist visa

August 2008: She comes to U.S. on B-2/ I proposed

October 2008: Traveled to Russia to see her and meet family

November 11, 2008: Filed for K-1, California Service Center

November 19, 2008: I-797 NOA1 received

December 2008: Went back to see her again

January 21, 2009: NOA2 received

January 29, 2009: Notice file sent to Embassy received

February 4, 2009: She comes to U.S. on B-2 for vacation in Hawaii

March 2, 2009: She receives notice of interview date and time

April 7, 2009: Interview in Moscow - Approved!

May 29, 2009: She arrives!

June 15, 2009: Applied for SS card

June 19, 2009: SS card received

August 14, 2009: Got married in Florida

Sept. 15, 2009: Sent AOS packet with I-485, I-765, and I-131

Sept. 22, 2009: Notice package received

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that I-485 had been transferred to CSC

Oct. 23, 2009: Notice received that application for travel (I-131) had been approved

Oct. 28, 2009: Advanced parole documents received

Nov. 20, 2009: Biometrics appointment received

Dec. 3, 2009: Biometrics Appointment

Dec. 29, 2009: Green Card and EAD approved and cards ordered (a little late on the EAD, but we'll take it)

Jan. 5, 2010: Green Card received

September 1, 2011: Filed I-751 for removal of conditions

April 2, 2012: Removal of conditions approved w/o interview, 10 year GC in the mail!

I was just wondering if were at all possible to enter the U.S. on the VWP, when you already have a K1 in your passport? The reason I ask, is that I won't be ready to move full-time until March, but might want to spend a week at Christmas over there.

Could that be explained at the POE, or is it simply not doable?

The only people I've ever heard to have successfully done this (entered without using the K1) were folks from Canada. I can not imagine any POE CBP officer not using the K1 Visa. Not worth the 'risk' of starting the clock earlier than intended - not if you're flying. :no:

The answer we're given is that the application of a K-1 (if the POE even can see a pending application, which is arguable)

They can not see a pending K1 at the airport. I've asked the CBP national customer service rep and twice at the airport when going through immigration. Their databases are overstays, criminals, terrorists and such. Being curious and having the opportunity, I just say "so what's on your computer there? What do you look up when foreigners come through here? Do you have access to who has applied for a K visa?"

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Yeah, it's pretty obvious they don't know about the K1 when travelling unless you tell them. I've never been asked about it, and I can tell it's something they would use if they knoew. :)

Also, about the arguement of "I'm going to use the K1 to move anyway, so why does it matter WHEN?" don't forget that you need to give them the appropriate paperwork when using the K1. I've heard about problems just losing that brown envelope, even.

Edited by Gemmie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Trying this is a bad idea, IMO unless you see the CBP in Dublin where you have the option of turning around and going home without using your ticket.

Brilliant. So obvious when you think about it, but that's just it - I never would have thought about it.

Pushbrk delivers again - I'm gonna have to start calling him DHL. :thumbs:

The answer we're given is that the application of a K-1 (if the POE even can see a pending application, which is arguable) or the approval of same, shows immigrant intent. We wouldn't want to let you in on a B-2 because your K-1 makes it look like you want to move here! Does this just boggle everyone's mind, or is it just me? Of course there's immigrant intent, you idiots! :bonk: She's been approved for a K-1, hasn't she? She's going to move here at some point or another, that much is guaranteed once the K-1 is approved. Does it truly make any difference whether she stays now or later?

Yep, we're very obviously singing from the same hymn sheet here - it's utterly retarded.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.