rockhouse

This is what im talkin about...

38 posts in this topic

[quote name='rockhouse' date='Dec 4 2008, 10:03 AM' post='2449316'

I'm just not real good with computers is all. I've spent my career as a commercial fisherman in alaska for the most part. I guess i could call u a moron if u had a problem trying to figure out how to run the powerblock for a halibut longline.

Not everyone is familiar with PDF's and whatnot.

If you don't really like computers you can check out the NOLO guide for fiance and marriage visas. They should have it at your barnes and noble/borders. It's also available to order online. I used it when filling out my forms (I didn't discover visa journey until the night before our interview).

I found the book really helpful for filling out the forms and for understanding the process in general. It has step by step instructions for filling out most forms and explains the intention of some of the more perplexing questions. But because it is published every couple of years or so some stuff can become out of date so I would double check on certain things like which forms to fill out and where to send them. Visa journey or the USCIS website are good places to check on those things.

http://www.nolo.com/product.cfm/ObjectID/E...610EDA/118/209/

good luck with everything.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Use this guide from Visa Journey it will help you with what is needed now to send off you packet and what you need to do later one just click this link i think this will be a great help to you:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

Radzney and Steven

first started talking online 2005

Flew to Davao May 2008

arrived May 17 2008 and we were engaged

Returned to USA June 1 2008

06/11/2008 sent in packet

06/16/2008 recieved NOA1

06/18/2008 bank shows check cleared

07/09/2008 touched

10/30/2008 approved Noa2

10/31/2008 touched

11/06/2008 hard copy of Noa2 arrived in mail

11/07/2008 case left NVC for Manila embassy

12/15/2008 passed medical yeppi

12/19/2008 set for interview

12/19/2008 approved at interview

12/30/2008 Visa Delievered

01/14/2009 Flight to USA

01/14/2009 POE SFO

02/13/2009 Purchased Marriage License

02/18/2009 Married

03/31/2009 Filed AOS, EAD,AP

04/09/2009 Check cashed for AOS

04/09/2009 NOA for AOS EAD and AP

04/27/2009 Biometrics

05/11/2009 Adjustment of Status Approval Notice

06/06/2009 Green Card Received

08/24/2009 First day at job

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can understand the reasons for using and reasons for not using a lawyer. In my particular case, I hired a lawyer, who charged $1250 for the whole deal. Clearly not hiring a lawyer will save you some money, and with a great site like this, you can find help (I didn't know of this site when I applied - though had I, I still probably would have hired a lawyer) My fiancée is pregnant and my thought was that I didn't want to take the chance of any extra delay by making any minor mistake (I am a very detail oriented person and still found the forms confusing and not well written). There were minor details that I didn't know how to deal with, such as what to do when you fill things out online and the info doesn't fit in the space given - my lawyer knew to simply hand write in the info that didn't fit and include a note to clarify.

Many people on this site are anti-lawyer, and I can understand that. Lawyers can be cold. A lawyer won't help speed the process up when the paper work is filled out, but on the other hand my lawyer helped write the affidavits (info about your meeting, relationship, marriage proposal, etc.) in a very well laid out fashion (with the info I gave her), when I went into my lawyer's office with the documents she told me to bring, it took us less than two hours and everything was done (and hopefully correctly!). As far as hiring a lawyer, I asked my brother to investigate for me as he too is a lawyer (but not an immigration lawyer) and he found two people who came highly recommended. I spoke to both, as well as a couple other lawyers who friends had worked with, and in the end went with the one who I felt had the strongest understanding of the process (as others on this site have experienced, lawyers can make mistakes and it's good to hire one you feel is experienced and at least a bit caring). Her price was on par with the other lawyers I spoke with and less than one other with whom I spoke. I was able to talk with her directly on the phone and walk into her office and meet with her in person. I don't think I would have felt as comfortable working with someone in a different location, with whom I could not meet. In the end, it's an individual decision, but whether you hire a lawyer or not, keep using this site as an extremely helpful reference.

Lastly, Stevew158 brought up something that concerns me about my case and if someone can offer their knowledge, that would be appreciated. The forms do come in 4 copies. I printed out four copies and my fiancée and I signed everything. My lawyer took one look at that and with no hesitation said, "While it does say to print 4 copies, USCIS only requires one." and she only included one copy in my application. I assume this is the kind of info a good and experienced immigration lawyer knows and hope she was correct, but does anyone know if this could be grounds for and RFE? Again, she has done many recent successful applications with no trouble, but I got nervous reading what stevew158 wrote. As for someone doing it on his or her own, I'd recommend sending in 4 copies regardless, but my application has already been sent.

Thanks!

11410.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Ken i have heard that USCIS only needs one copy of the G325a also, but I was just following the instructions, I mean why take a chance. I have worked at a Police Officer for over 27 years and have learned that if something ask for so many copies then I would send that many copies even if I know the AG's office only really needed one. I am sure your attonrey is correct on this but I just feel that it ask for 4 the form prints 4 why not send what the instructions call for. I can say I dont always follow the instructions on things. I use to get yelled at by my ex wife for not reading thin instructions on stuff we would by that had to be put together and I will admit sometimes she was correct, but sometimes I got the whole thing put together with out every looking at the instuction sheet. Heck IM at the point now that I forgot the point I was trying to make. But over all I wouldnt worry about it the laywer probably knows.

Radzney and Steven

first started talking online 2005

Flew to Davao May 2008

arrived May 17 2008 and we were engaged

Returned to USA June 1 2008

06/11/2008 sent in packet

06/16/2008 recieved NOA1

06/18/2008 bank shows check cleared

07/09/2008 touched

10/30/2008 approved Noa2

10/31/2008 touched

11/06/2008 hard copy of Noa2 arrived in mail

11/07/2008 case left NVC for Manila embassy

12/15/2008 passed medical yeppi

12/19/2008 set for interview

12/19/2008 approved at interview

12/30/2008 Visa Delievered

01/14/2009 Flight to USA

01/14/2009 POE SFO

02/13/2009 Purchased Marriage License

02/18/2009 Married

03/31/2009 Filed AOS, EAD,AP

04/09/2009 Check cashed for AOS

04/09/2009 NOA for AOS EAD and AP

04/27/2009 Biometrics

05/11/2009 Adjustment of Status Approval Notice

06/06/2009 Green Card Received

08/24/2009 First day at job

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Ken i have heard that USCIS only needs one copy of the G325a also, but I was just following the instructions, I mean why take a chance. I have worked at a Police Officer for over 27 years and have learned that if something ask for so many copies then I would send that many copies even if I know the AG's office only really needed one. I am sure your attonrey is correct on this but I just feel that it ask for 4 the form prints 4 why not send what the instructions call for. I can say I dont always follow the instructions on things. I use to get yelled at by my ex wife for not reading thin instructions on stuff we would by that had to be put together and I will admit sometimes she was correct, but sometimes I got the whole thing put together with out every looking at the instuction sheet. Heck IM at the point now that I forgot the point I was trying to make. But over all I wouldnt worry about it the laywer probably knows.

Thanks for the reassurance!!! :thumbs: And yes, while I assume my lawyer was correct, if filling out forms on your own, I would recommend to all to do exactly as they ask for.

11410.gif

Nevermind, i got it....just a retarded goverment document the way it's layed-out.

There are certainly lots of those :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.