sly_wolf

1 in 5 has Personality Disorder?

84 posts in this topic

In your opinion, do you think that multiple personality disorder is a misnomer or do folks merely confuse it with personality traits gone sour? I try to dissociate both by the obvious clinical benchmarks of MPD and bad traits (people with serious attitude issues). The latter I think I see a lot of online in all sorts of flavors.

Completely agree with your PD assessment since to me- thinking about it from a psychopharmacological side... there are likely little to no receptor or NT synthesis/release/binding problems to begin with that we know of in cases of PD. But if you say PD enough times I start thinking of Parkinsons where yes, there are several NT and receptor issues at hand.

MPD, I believe DID is the newest PC label. ;)

Frankly, I don't believe in DID. If it does exist, the numbers are hella smaller than people want you to think. The best studies were done in the late nineties. DID tends to spread, suspiciously so.

See also: PDs are painfully obvious, sometimes, online. Maybe they need a OPD in the DSM. I can name a few people on here with PDs, y'know... ;)

You're right. In my head, PDs are mostly nurture. Hell, they tend to decrease in intensity as the person ages. Really. What does that say? Although most PDs are ignored. You have your antisocial and your borderline these days.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

:lol:

Great synopsis. I agree with reserving most actual disorders to more biological foundations... but that does not rule out the possibility of there being personality traits that confound biological oddities that in turn are additive over time or complication. Of course many PDs ameliorate over time... and that in itself speaks volumes to the superficial nature of the PD itself. Psychological counseling should suffice in my humble computerized opinion.

Now... as for clinical complications... those are very real and should be treated gently and with determination. Nurture is certainly important in treating those but the main line of attact must consider nature itself and how to modulate the more pathological process underway.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Great synopsis. I agree with reserving most actual disorders to more biological foundations... but that does not rule out the possibility of there being personality traits that confound biological oddities that in turn are additive over time or complication. Of course many PDs ameliorate over time... and that in itself speaks volumes to the superficial nature of the PD itself. Psychological counseling should suffice in my humble computerized opinion.

Now... as for clinical complications... those are very real and should be treated gently and with determination. Nurture is certainly important in treating those but the main line of attact must consider nature itself and how to modulate the more pathological process underway.

Ah! Darling, you're looking at a girl who was diagnosed with BPD at sixteen. I had my own self-destructive triad: anorexia, self-harm, low self-esteem. I believe the official triad is: self-harm (cutting or ED), promiscuity, and drug/alcohol abuse. DBT for a year had something. Also, I freakin' grew up and wasn't sixteen anymore.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Ah! Darling, you're looking at a girl who was diagnosed with BPD at sixteen. I had my own self-destructive triad: anorexia, self-harm, low self-esteem. I believe the official triad is: self-harm (cutting or ED), promiscuity, and drug/alcohol abuse. DBT for a year had something. Also, I freakin' grew up and wasn't sixteen anymore.

Today youd be EMO...if you were still 16

sorry i just find "emo" to sound way to funny to be the name of someone who cuts and is depressed. its like calling them "elmo"

however elmo is distrubing

oh and on the friends level, im with Amby

vj2.jpgvj.jpg

"VJ Timelines are only an estimate, they are not actual approval dates! They only reflect VJ members. VJ Timelines do not include the thousands of applicants who do not use VJ"

IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE SITE, PLEASE READ THE GUIDES BEFORE ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS. THE GUIDES ARE VERY HELPFUL AND WILL SAVE YOU ALOT OF TIME!

Filed: Timeline

sorry i just find "emo" to sound way to funny to be the name of someone who cuts and is depressed. its like calling them "elmo"

:thumbs:

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm... I was under the impression that "multiple personality disorder" had been renamed "associative identity disorder."

I've often felt that many who dismiss medication have either some form of "resistance" to the idea of using something that's "unnatural" or they've managed to get through illnesses without the use of medication.

What I find interesting about this are the assumptions made about pharmaceuticals. Yes, I fully realize I generalized about those who dislike medication.

The point is that many medications are not "unnatural" or at least, not entirely so. Many drugs consist of naturally-formed properties. Morphine's primary active ingredient is opium (which is why it's referred to as an "opiate analgesic"). Not everything in nature is safe, either.

Something else that interests me is the idea that "I've never needed medication before, therefore, it's unnecessary." That's not true. That's the same as thinking you don't need auto insurance because you've never been in a car accident. Even if you don't need medication at all, there are some who do.

Timeline
Hmmm... I was under the impression that "multiple personality disorder" had been renamed "associative identity disorder."

I've often felt that many who dismiss medication have either some form of "resistance" to the idea of using something that's "unnatural" or they've managed to get through illnesses without the use of medication.

What I find interesting about this are the assumptions made about pharmaceuticals. Yes, I fully realize I generalized about those who dislike medication.

The point is that many medications are not "unnatural" or at least, not entirely so. Many drugs consist of naturally-formed properties. Morphine's primary active ingredient is opium (which is why it's referred to as an "opiate analgesic"). Not everything in nature is safe, either.

Something else that interests me is the idea that "I've never needed medication before, therefore, it's unnecessary." That's not true. That's the same as thinking you don't need auto insurance because you've never been in a car accident. Even if you don't need medication at all, there are some who do.

Morphine is the active ingredient of opium.

Yikes!

On a side note... one of charles' key words is in there... strange he hasn't shown up to comment about it yet...

Kind of on topic but every second kids seems to be on ADHD medication. When in reality these are parental and disciplinary issues.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
Kind of on topic but every second kids seems to be on ADHD medication. When in reality these are parental and disciplinary issues.

Very much related to the topic, BY.

I believe most children diagnosed with ADHD are overdiagnoses in truth.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Mother/child relationships....if your mom was a bit odd...chances are, you will be too.

:o:o:o I'm telling my mum you said that!

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

what about dad being odd?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I thougt that was standard..

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

touche, bff fracas

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm only speculatin being that I'm not a real doctor but I play one on VJ, brother. :blush:

If I may indulge my speculatin...

The primary caregiver has traditionally been the mother so I think the mother/child relationship has more of an impact on the child's mental health than a father/child relationship when both parents are present. I think the most crucial aspect to that primary relationship is that the child feels they are loved unconditionally and secondly, that there are healthy emotional boundaries (the child doesn't become a surrogate spouse, emotionally, etc.).

No charge - Commie Doctor Stevie B)