Beauty for Ashes

Links between Islam and Terrorism

216 posts in this topic

Speaking of profiling I get pulled all the time when I travel for extra searches. One time in Paris I thought I was on my way to prison, I got surrounded by 7 undercover cops, speaking French, which I don’t speak, and telling me I had to go with them, I was in line getting ready to board the plane to home. I had early problems, but for some reason they always give me a hard time. Must look like a mule or something. Lol

:wacko: I know exactly what you mean!

:lol: Try going to Amsterdam 10 times a year LOL :lol:

Everytime I go they ask me, "Do you live here? What makes you come here so often?"

Holy #######, what is that pic in your sig?!!

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Speaking of profiling I get pulled all the time when I travel for extra searches. One time in Paris I thought I was on my way to prison, I got surrounded by 7 undercover cops, speaking French, which I don’t speak, and telling me I had to go with them, I was in line getting ready to board the plane to home. I had early problems, but for some reason they always give me a hard time. Must look like a mule or something. Lol

Everytime I go they ask me, "Do you live here? What makes you come here so often?"

It's a program that transposed my pic and my hubby's pic into one.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

wow and I thought 3x to Palestine was rough, lol 10 times..you've got me, lol

I'm waiting for the Israelis to ask me the same thing though, lol

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

We did that once at a museum to see "what our children would look like." Anyway, I hope they don't look like that. (Not you, me.) Because then I'd have ugly kids.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

AMSTERDAM is my dream home, you are soooooooooooooo lucky to be able to go there and visit. They would have to kick me out of the country, I would never leave. lol :devil:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

We did that once at a museum to see "what our children would look like." Anyway, I hope they don't look like that. (Not you, me.) Because then I'd have ugly kids.

I know what you're talking about. It's called morphing, LOL. I saw that in a museum a long time ago. No, this just puts one transparent pic over the other. I never tried the morphing thing with my husband though. That would be interesting...

AMSTERDAM is my dream home, you are soooooooooooooo lucky to be able to go there and visit. They would have to kick me out of the country, I would never leave. lol :devil:

:lol:

Let me guess, you just wouldn't get enough of canals and tulips, right? :whistle:

:lol:

Let me guess, you just wouldn't get enough of canals and tulips, right? :whistle:

That or she smokes a lot of ganja. ;)

I don't usually post because I am simply LAZY. My SO is from Pakistan. Before moving here in 2004, he had never been out of PK except on flights as a flight attendant to neighboring countries. He told me that when 911 happened that, in general, people on the streets were happy that it happened and shopkeepers started giving away free "candies" on the street in celebration. Just saying what HE told me. But that has nothing to do with this thread, I guess. Thanksgiving...discussing links between Islam and terrorism in light of what happened in Mumbai. Interesting because one of my guests on Thanksgiving is 1st generation Indian whose parents are from Mumbai. They are Hindu . He said that about 80% of all his family are still there. His sister and parents were in Mumbai on Thanksgiving. He was quite beside himself that day. We did discuss what was happening. He said that what frustrates him is that many moderate muslims fail to speak out about such acts of terrorism. His words were that he doesn't get why moderate Muslims were not more "outraged" by these extremists. OK, now I remember where I was going with what I mentioned about 911. What my SO said about the reaction of the regular people on the streets of Islamabad connects what my Indian friend said. Anyway, now that I think of it: how interesting that I had a Paki immigrant and an Indian with deep roots in Mumbai here on Thanksgiving day. My SO and our Indian friend talked a lot but after the first 15-20 minutes I let them to their man talk while entertained my other other guests.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I don't usually post because I am simply LAZY. My SO is from Pakistan. Before moving here in 2004, he had never been out of PK except on flights as a flight attendant to neighboring countries. He told me that when 911 happened that, in general, people on the streets were happy that it happened and shopkeepers started giving away free "candies" on the street in celebration. Just saying what HE told me. But that has nothing to do with this thread, I guess. Thanksgiving...discussing links between Islam and terrorism in light of what happened in Mumbai. Interesting because one of my guests on Thanksgiving is 1st generation Indian whose parents are from Mumbai. They are Hindu . He said that about 80% of all his family are still there. His sister and parents were in Mumbai on Thanksgiving. He was quite beside himself that day. We did discuss what was happening. He said that what frustrates him is that many moderate muslims fail to speak out about such acts of terrorism. His words were that he doesn't get why moderate Muslims were not more "outraged" by these extremists. OK, now I remember where I was going with what I mentioned about 911. What my SO said about the reaction of the regular people on the streets of Islamabad connects what my Indian friend said. Anyway, now that I think of it: how interesting that I had a Paki immigrant and an Indian with deep roots in Mumbai here on Thanksgiving day. My SO and our Indian friend talked a lot but after the first 15-20 minutes I let them to their man talk while entertained my other other guests.

Thats very interesting what you said about Pakistan and 9/11. Because my husband is also from Pakistan, from the most conservative city, Peshawar. and he told me people where shocked, and even some cried.

Truth of Palestine

take time to watch , give yourself time to understand. Then make your conclusions.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=676280059

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endid=242259905

My SO and our Indian friend talked a lot but after the first 15-20 minutes I let them to their man talk while entertained my other other guests.

Good for you!

Unlike what wahrenia has to say, the most fascinating conversations are between people like your friend and your SO. I mean...on an intellectual level, we are capable of understanding just about anything. I can read about the tensions between Hindus and Muslims but I can't really experience it, so. I'm afraid if I were in your situation, I'd be all over them demanding answers. :o

Thats very interesting what you said about Pakistan and 9/11. Because my husband is also from Pakistan, from the most conservative city, Peshawar. and he told me people where shocked, and even some cried.

Interesting indeed. I'll have mention your husband's observation to him.

My SO and our Indian friend talked a lot but after the first 15-20 minutes I let them to their man talk while entertained my other other guests.

Good for you!

Unlike what wahrenia has to say, the most fascinating conversations are between people like your friend and your SO. I mean...on an intellectual level, we are capable of understanding just about anything. I can read about the tensions between Hindus and Muslims but I can't really experience it, so. I'm afraid if I were in your situation, I'd be all over them demanding answers. :o

Anything more than a few minutes of political or religious conversation causes my eyes to glaze over. :blush:

Filed: Timeline

This is the kind of post I wanted to read when I posted the topic.

Thank you for posting..

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I have not met one person who did not feel a sense of sad emotion when 9/11 happened. Granted, no one would dare say otherwise on American soil. But even the people overseas that I talked to (Europe and Palestine but also arabs online) were saddened by what happened. Any decent person does not like to see innocents die.

shal I think it's great that you had a Muslim and Hindu at Thanksgiving. That was interesting. It is good to see people speaking and communicating naturally instead of people forcing it. I think more people should be like that and be open minded.

As for Muslims (moderate) not expressing outrage, I wonder as well. What I find in real life is that Muslims defense mechanism towwards situations like that is only to scream "This is not Islam!" It is also popular amongst Muslims I know in real life to blurt out "We are not responsible for what others do." which is more or less an "It's not my problem" attitude. Sad indeed.

While you aer not responsible for what others do, you should feel upset by this if you are a Muslim because if you feel your religion is being hijacked, you are not doing your religion a good service by not standing up for your religion.

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Filed: Timeline
No, but I don't wear hijab anywhere Kat. Not sure if you are trying to make a point or bait for more drama.

I don't hide that I am muslim from anyone. Why should I? My last name is on my business card. When my customers ask about it, I tell them. Why shouldn't I? If they don't want to buy carpet because of my religion, thats their loss not mine. Money is not everything. (in my case lately..its nothing ;) )

jJ

No Jackie. I know you dont wear it now but you could have worn it sometime after reverting to Islam. Many muslim reverts do at one time or another actually wear hijab or try to wear it to events or wear it overseas out of respect for their husband. I dont consider that a baiting question because wearing hijab to alot of people is a completion of reversion to Islam. I wore it full times at times and certainly full time overseas. I cannot do my job wearing it because none of my clients except for very few are muslim and I am frankly although I know I am supposed to , uncomfortable wearing it. I actually admire women who can wear it and work as reverts. It shows a strength and true dedication to the religion and I unfortunately do not have a husband to support me and take care of me to be able to wear it and survive financially. To be able to wear hijab full time sometimes in certain necks of the woods requires an extra income. Not all employers whether they will tell you or not are really excited about you wearing hijab although it is protected under the law. I have a friend who was fired for refusing to remove it and went through a 3 year lawsuit for absolutely nothing because she never received compensation. Its actually a big part of being a female muslim and I think that trying it at least.. gives you a much different perspective

keep in mind Jackie I dont know very much about your practice of islam and I would never bait you about something like this.. Many muslim reverts try to and I dont know how long you have been muslim

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.