trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Well for many places that would be fine, but this is for Canada.

Did both Lawyers discuss the Canada specific aspects with you?

We were very clear with both of them that we are in Canada, but unfortunately, neither of the lawyers are based in Canada. I am definitely doubting their advice now. 

Based on the advice from you guys, I will now plan to go down, open a bank account and get a rental between now and the interview. Thanks! 

21 minutes ago, JobinJo said:

My understanding is that the job offer should be enough but if you want to improve your chances find a place to rent where the job is.

In my case after being asked for more documents at the interview, (I didn't have a job offer) my wife and I signed a lease with some short term rental apartment near LA and we figured we'd go live there for a bit before finding something better. In the end we ended up changing our plans and canceled the lease which only cost us the $150 deposit so it worked out pretty well. You could do that and even if you don't end up renting there you're not wasting too much money.

I also sent others documents such as truck rental contracts, end of lease in Canada, end of contracts for our Canadian jobs. Anything that supported the fact that we'd leave Canada and move to the US.

Thanks for the info!

Just to be clear, the employment letter is with my husband (the Canadian citizen) and not myself (the US citizen). I’m not sure if that would hold any weight in the consulate’s eyes?

Filed: O-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe that with the job offer + apartment + bank account you won't have an issue.

My case was last year and at the interview in Montreal the officer only asked for either and job offer (for me or my wife, didn't matter) or an apartment. But won't hurt to have more ;)

Let us know how it goes !

Edited by JobinJo

3 minutes ago, JobinJo said:

I believe that with the job offer + apartment + bank account you won't have an issue.

My case was last year and at the interview in Montreal the officer only asked for either and job offer (for me or my wife, didn't matter) or an apartment. But won't hurt to have more ;)

Let us know how it goes !

job offer helps, even if it’s my husband’s only (the non-US citizen)?

and thanks so much, really really appreciate the advice!

Timeline
Just now, Loois said:

job offer helps, even if it’s my husband’s only (the non-US citizen)?

and thanks so much, really really appreciate the advice!

According to the officer at the interview it didn't matter who got a job. 

I believe that with the job + the other steps you were talking about it should be fine.

Also I know the whole process is scary but being asked for more documents at the interview wasn't as big a deal as I thought it was. I think that delayed us by about 6 weeks. So do as much as you can but don't worry too much ;)  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Recently had my interview with the same situation. The interviewing officer Did not even look at or consider job offer of the immigrating spouse. Solely focused on whether the US spouse could establish ties to the US or solid evidence to re-establish ties to the US. If anything, upon hearing that the applicant had job offer in the US, she said it seems like your spouse is moving because of the job offer and not because the spouse has genuine interest/intent to move back to the US. Not to scare you, just personal experience at recent interview.

4 hours ago, saadbutt said:

Recently had my interview with the same situation. The interviewing officer Did not even look at or consider job offer of the immigrating spouse. Solely focused on whether the US spouse could establish ties to the US or solid evidence to re-establish ties to the US. If anything, upon hearing that the applicant had job offer in the US, she said it seems like your spouse is moving because of the job offer and not because the spouse has genuine interest/intent to move back to the US. Not to scare you, just personal experience at recent interview.

Thanks for the heads up, that’s definitely the sense we are getting. Hopefully a lease + bank account in my name will

be sufficient... 

On 11/1/2018 at 5:46 PM, Loois said:

I am a US citizen and my spouse is Canadian. We both live in Canada (I have lived here for 10+ years).

My husband has a job offer in the US and we both intend to move when his CR-1 is approved. 

We are currently waiting for an interview time slot with a September 10, 2018 case complete date. Two different immigration lawyers assured us that my husband’s employment letter as well as a signed letter from myself stating my intention to move with my spouse will be sufficient. However, based on the discussions I’ve read on this thread, I am beginning to sense that the evidence we have is not enough.

Do we need to do more? What, if anything, could you recommend in the potentially short time period between now and our interview?

Thanks!

On 11/1/2018 at 6:19 PM, Loois said:

Thanks for the info!

Just to be clear, the employment letter is with my husband (the Canadian citizen) and not myself (the US citizen). I’m not sure if that would hold any weight in the consulate’s eyes?

This is about USC proving domicile.  Your husband's ability to work has nothing to do with YOUR domicile.  You are the one who needs to show you have reestablished a home in the USA before interview. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

11 hours ago, NikLR said:

This is about USC proving domicile.  Your husband's ability to work has nothing to do with YOUR domicile.  You are the one who needs to show you have reestablished a home in the USA before interview. 

In your opinion, would a lease + US bank account in my name suffice, or do I need to go down and hang out there prior to the interview? 

1 hour ago, Loois said:

In your opinion, would a lease + US bank account in my name suffice, or do I need to go down and hang out there prior to the interview? 

Have you looked at the domicile thread? Imho I think you need a residence, bank account, driver's license, and preferably a job. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, Loois said:

I tried my best before my interview to put myself in the consulates shoes. If you had to decide whether someone has strong ties to the US would you feel a lease and a bank account is enough proof?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 hours ago, acidrain said:

I tried my best before my interview to put myself in the consulates shoes. If you had to decide whether someone has strong ties to the US would you feel a lease and a bank account is enough proof?

Very Consulate specific, best to review postings from those who have gone before you and what was expected of them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Very Consulate specific, best to review postings from those who have gone before you and what was expected of them.

I interviewed in Montreal 9 months ago. The interviewer told me the number one reason visas are denied is because of lack of domicile. My spouse was working in the US, owned a house, got a drivers license, opened a bank account, etc. With separating the family for more than a year the consulate had absolutely no question we were committed to living in the US. They even said so.

There is no one size fits all formula. One person might get approved with the same evidence another gets denied with. It's very hard to predict.

I am merely saying if you were the interviewer and had no idea about the persons character, would you give a person a green card based on signing a lease and opening a bank account? 

Edited by acidrain

Timeline
17 hours ago, NikLR said:

When I had my interview in Montreal last year the officer was very clear that either me (the applicant) or my wife (the USC) getting a job would be sufficient. The goal being not to separate families. As always it depends on the case and the officer and it might be better if the USC gets a job.

Timeline
22 hours ago, JobinJo said:

When I had my interview in Montreal last year the officer was very clear that either me (the applicant) or my wife (the USC) getting a job would be sufficient. The goal being not to separate families. As always it depends on the case and the officer and it might be better if the USC gets a job.

But what is strange about saying it is acceptable for the non-USC having a job offer is that they can't take it up without a visa and the visa is dependent on the USC proving domicile. Maybe this particular officer was thinking well obviously they are going to move if one of them has a job but I think it would be just as likely to get the "we don't care about you" response.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.