trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
3 minutes ago, JobinJo said:

To be clear, at the interview the CO told me that the purpose of this visa is to reunite families. Since my wife and I were living together in Canada there wasn't any need for reuniting us. So we had to show that my wife was leaving Canada and returning to the US and therefore we needed the visa to stay together. And he asked for proofs such as a lease agreement or a job contract.

So the USC doesn't have to already be in the US at the time of the interview but you need to prove that the USC is about to permanently return to the US.

I am sorry for the confusion. I did not mean that the USC must be in the US before the interview. It's much easier to prove domicile when the USC is in the US but not a must. Some officers take this hard others not. Totally depend. According to travel.state.gov "As a U.S. sponsor/petitioner, you must maintain your principal residence (also called domicile) in the United States, which is where you plan to live for the foreseeable future."

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/family/family-preference.html#4

But again it totally depend on the officer.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ariaeeb said:

Not a travelers insurance. If you intend to live in the US, you would need health insurance. Something like Medicaid or Medicare. That's what they told us in the interview. 

I think all you need to get health coverage is address in the US and tax return, which you should have both at this point.

Ah, gotcha, thank you for the info - I shall look into this then!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, TS_123 said:

Do I need my Sponsor to include a letter stating her intent to establish domicile in the US (along with documentation supporting the intent) with the I-864 Form submission or do I only discuss the intent to establish domicile during the in person interview?

Thanks,

Hi there,

You'd include the letter + supporting documents when you send the i-184 package. Then also bring the supporting documents with you to the interview.

I've also seen folks here submit some evidence but then bring additional proof to the interview just to make their case even stronger, but I'd definitely provide all the proof you can with your application...

As you can see proof of domicile is listed as one of the things to include in your i-184 package here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, hitexuga said:

Hi there,

You'd include the letter + supporting documents when you send the i-184 package. Then also bring the supporting documents with you to the interview.

I've also seen folks here submit some evidence but then bring additional proof to the interview just to make their case even stronger, but I'd definitely provide all the proof you can with your application...

As you can see proof of domicile is listed as one of the things to include in your i-184 package here: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Step_4_Collect_Financial_Documents.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you, it does help!

What is the expected time for the interview to be scheduled after my documents have been approved?  I just got off the phone with USCIS and they said there is not approximate timeline and I'll just have to see what the date of the interview is when I my documents have been reviewed/approved which takes around 11 weeks.

Does anyone know approximately how many months it may be for the interview to be scheduled?  My case starts with MTL so the interview will be at the Montreal Consulate.

Thanks!

Timeline
5 hours ago, TS_123 said:

Does anyone know approximately how many months it may be for the interview to be scheduled?  My case starts with MTL so the interview will be at the Montreal Consulate.

Oh, cool! You're the first person here I see going through Montreal at the same time as me :D

There's another VJ thread with an FAQ about what happens after case complete: 

Quote from the thread: 

"How long after Case Complete will I get an interview?
Okay this is the BIG mystery of NVC. How it usually goes is end of the month and first week of month they start scheduling for interviews for the that upcoming month. Since January they have been pretty consistent starting about the last 2 days of the month and finishing that following first week of next month"

I got my case complete August 9th and still waiting for interview date. Hopefully I'll get it next week. Then from what I've seen I think for Montreal the dates are typically about month away from when you receive a date...

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/28/2017 at 10:26 AM, TS_123 said:

Thank you for your response.

Can someone please tell me what type of Police Certificate I need and can I get it from my local Police Station or do I have to order it through the RCMP?

Thanks,

Police station unless there isnt one.  Commissionaires also works.  Just a name check unless you've been arrested. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, TS_123 said:

Will let you know Nov 21 ;)

Actually, I just had my IR-1 interview yesterday and we were approved!

For other folks' reference, here is what we submitted as proof of reestablishing US domicile:

-Letter from my wife stating that she intends in good faith to return to live in the US, listing the different documents we attached to the application as proof

-Signed lease with my mother-in-law

-Proof that my wife registered for a college class in Texas

-Letter from my wife's employer confirming her resignation

-Letter from my employer stating that I told them about my upcoming move (not official resignation)

-Screenshot from wife's bank account showing we transferred funds to the US in preparation for our move

-Wife's US voting card

At the interview, the lease and the class registration were the only papers the CO seemed to look at. She was very friendly, didn't give me any kind of hard time about domicile and even commented on how prepared we were. I was a bit nervous as my wife is a PR in Canada and has been here for 6 years, but it was all good.

Also, when we submitted to NVC we didn't have the class registration (though we had email exchange with the college) or letters of resignation. So when I saw the intake officer at the consulate, I told her I had additional proof of domicile and she added it to my pile to give to the interviewer.

Hopes this is of help to future applicants.

Good luck @TS_123 and anyone else having their interview soon!

Having a confirmed place to live and either a confirmed job or school  seems to be key.  Occassionally even that isn't enough but you had a good CO.  Congrats!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, TS_123 said:

Will let you know Nov 21 ;)

And the 21st was today :). Happy to say I was approved!  Wife (US Citizen/Sponsor), the kids and myself are here in Canada and we were able to prove our intent to establish domicile with the following evidence:

-Real Estate contract to buy new home in the US along with in-progress pics of our home being built

-Emails between myself and our builder in terms of the progress and closing date

-Wire transfers to builder for home upgrades

-receipt of housing inspection

-Real Estate sales contract of our home in Canada proving our house has been sold and will be closing end of December

-Business LLC set up along with business account with BOA

That's pretty much it!  The person who interviewed was super friendly and a pleasure to deal with.

Any questions, let me know.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.