trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you can't get the USD in a US checking account by the time of the interview (like you have to wait to sell your house or won't have proof of those funds available at that time), strongly suggest getting a co-sponsor. We ended up doing that since my USC husband's letter of employment wasn't specific enough about his transfer back to the US branch of his company, and his exact USD salary when we moved. We had a contract of sale for our house and proof that we would have lots of $$ over the required amount at the time of closing, but the time of closing was after the interview, so that wasn't good enough.

Also definitely get yourself squared away with the IRS. You are required as a USC to file your taxes even if you do not have any income. I guess Uncle Sam just likes to keep track of everyone. You will have to provide your IRS transcripts regardless.

Good luck :)

Where did you get that the money should be in a US bank account? all you need to prove is that the assets can be made available in the US within any 12 month period. For example showing the money in a foreign bank account and providing legislation that that country allows wire transfers to the US of such an amount. Things like that. I've never read anything back what you are stating here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Where did you get that the money should be in a US bank account? all you need to prove is that the assets can be made available in the US within any 12 month period. For example showing the money in a foreign bank account and providing legislation that that country allows wire transfers to the US of such an amount. Things like that. I've never read anything back what you are stating here.

I got it from the horse's mouth: the man conducting my interview at the US Consulate in Montreal. He wanted that cash in a US bank account, liquid. My husband's US 401K wasn't good enough.

The 221(g) sheet he gave me also specifies "evidence of US assets at $xx,xxx" where US assets means assets in the US.

2009/09/30 Married
IR-1 begins: 2015/07/07 Courier I-130 petition to Chicago

2015/07/08 Petition delivered | NOA1 date
2015/07/10 Received emailed NOA1 (California) 2015/07/20 Received snail mail NOA1
2015/08/25 NOA2 by email/USCIS site (48 days) 2015/09/02 Received snail mail NOA2

2015/09/15 Received by NVC (21 days)

2015/09/27 Case number assigned (12 days) 2015/09/28 Got case number and IIN over the phone
2015/09/28 Submitted DS-261 2015/09/29 Paid AOS fee (IN PROCESS) 2015/10/01 AOS fee PAID
2015/10/13 Received NVC Welcome Letter hard copy
2015/10/15 Reviewed DS-261 (17 days)
2015/10/16 Received IV Invoice 2015/10/16 Paid IV fee (IN PROCESS)

2015/10/17 Submitted AOS package & IV package 2015/10/19 IV fee PAID 2015/10/19 Submitted DS-260 (scan date)

2015/10/20 Re-sent files (new scan date) 2015/10/29 CASE COMPLETE!

2015/11/13 Heard about interview date (phone) (15 days) 2015/12/07 Medical

2015/12/18 INTERVIEW! 221(g) request for additional sponsor. Otherwise good to go!

2016/01/07 Additional information and passport sent back to Mtl Consulate.

2016/01/12 Passport & 221g delivered to Consulate

2016/01/14 Status updated on CEAC; no update yet on ais.usvisa-info.com

2016/01/28 Status updated to READY 2016/01/29 Status updated to ISSUED

2016/02/01 Received Canada Post info 2016/02/03 Got it!

2016/02/04 POE YVR

2016/03/18 Received green card

2018/11/08 Submitted N-400 online

2018/11/09 Estimated wait time: 31 Days  2018/11/09 Estimated case completion time: 11 months

2018/11/10 Biometrics appt scheduled 2018/11/13 Appointment letter received online

2018/11/27 Biometrics appt

2019/02/25 Interview scheduled

2019/04/01 Interview: APPROVED

2019/04/23 Oath Ceremony

2020/04/03 Elected to local office

Montreal is more strict than other consulates and embassies. Thats why this thread is in a regional forum. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

OK guys thanks! I had heard that they (Montreal) were more strict and take more convincing but I didn't know they would demand such a thing, and I was concerned since I will be applying with assets and thought I had my plan figured out!

Hopefully I won't be asked to do the same..

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Folks I need your quick opinions om this idea. My husband has his interview date and I am trying to get additional proof of (intent to re-establish) domicile for his interview. What I already have given them: Car title, car insurance, US cell phone plan, bank account and transfering of funds into it, proof that my Canadian job is soon ending.

Additional proof that I'd like to provide:

1. A letter explaining that to travel the very long distance between where I live in Canada and where I intend to live in the states (Newfoundland to Arizona!), I am going to use an RV to get us, our pets and our belongings across safetly. We will also use the RV as a starter home. Wich is a common method of living in Arizona with our beautiful weather.

2. Title of a jointly owned RV between my mom and myself & certified letter from my mom that I can/am using the RV for the purpose stated above & we will be leaving Canada by Sept 15th

3. Prepaid 2-3 months reservation at a long-term stay RV park

4. Proof of applying for jobs in Arizona

5. Letter of recommendation given from my previous boss after my temporary employment in Canada ended on July 29th (letter states temporary nature)

6. Email from a realtor about meeting with her to sell my Canadian home

Do you think this will be enough??? I am worried they will view the RV park as "temporary" and not as an actual lease/place to live. Advice please!!!

Edited by jpeach

USCIS

2015-08-22: Sent I-130

2015-09-01: NOA1; USCIS Received and transferred to CSC (e-mail)

2015-09-22: NOA2; USCIS approval & sent to NVC (21 days from NOA1)

NVC

2015-10-14: Case received by NVC (Found out this date on Oct 19th via phone) (22 days after NOA2)

2015-11-15: Received NVC Welcome Letter (Letter dated Oct 30th)

2015-12-11: Received IV and AOS invoices

2016-02-02: Mailed payment for both

2016-03-23: Started re-establishing my US domicile & joint sponsor

2016-05-30: Finally got all my documentation of domicile and sponsor financial information, sent off IV/AOS email

2016-06-14: NVC requested a new copy of applicant's birth certificate - we sent the "short" one instead of the "long" one - my mistake!

2016-07-08: 3 N/A's!!!

2016-07-13: Received the NVC "case complete" e-mail

2016-07-20: Interview appointment letter!

2016-08-24: Immigration medical

2016-08-30: Interview date - APPROVED!!

Timeline

* Sorry would also like to add that I got my AZ driver's lisence and voter registration

Also, I have the financials covered with help from friends so no worries there.

USCIS

2015-08-22: Sent I-130

2015-09-01: NOA1; USCIS Received and transferred to CSC (e-mail)

2015-09-22: NOA2; USCIS approval & sent to NVC (21 days from NOA1)

NVC

2015-10-14: Case received by NVC (Found out this date on Oct 19th via phone) (22 days after NOA2)

2015-11-15: Received NVC Welcome Letter (Letter dated Oct 30th)

2015-12-11: Received IV and AOS invoices

2016-02-02: Mailed payment for both

2016-03-23: Started re-establishing my US domicile & joint sponsor

2016-05-30: Finally got all my documentation of domicile and sponsor financial information, sent off IV/AOS email

2016-06-14: NVC requested a new copy of applicant's birth certificate - we sent the "short" one instead of the "long" one - my mistake!

2016-07-08: 3 N/A's!!!

2016-07-13: Received the NVC "case complete" e-mail

2016-07-20: Interview appointment letter!

2016-08-24: Immigration medical

2016-08-30: Interview date - APPROVED!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm SO happy to see this topic as I just received my packet 4 and freaked out when I read:

Petitioner Residence: At the time of your interview and possible entry into the United States, your petitioner is required to be domiciled in the United States (which means have a primary residence there) or must be able to establish to the consular officer’s satisfaction their intent to return to the United States at the time of your travel.

My case is a little different - my husband came to Canada for HIM to immigrate and get his Permanent Residency in Canada, we got married, then days later my mom fell ill and passed away. I had no reason to remain in Canada, therefore we didn't complete his PR application and I started my CR-1 application.

He still has ties to the US; pays bills (car, cell phone, student loan) with his US address (his parents)

He still has his US bank account with the US address. His driver's license and car registration is still under that address as well.

I have a US account with most of my funds in it, with an address of the township we plan to reside in, have moving quotes for that township as well.

I also have cover letters to CIC (Canadian Immigration) for when we applied for extensions to his visitor visas that I just wanted him to stay with me to help me emotionally to complete the arrangements of my late mother, etc and our intent was to return to the US.

Can you guys think of anything else that would help? I know our case is a little different but we fully intend to explain all of this to the officer during my interview and my husband will come to the interview with me as well.

USCIS Process:

Sent I-130 (via Canada Post): Feb 29, 2016

NOA1 hardcopy received: March 16, 2016

NOA2 approval text & email: June 9, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------

NVC Process:

Case number and IIN Assigned: July 5, 2016

Choice of Agent (DS-261) completed: July 6, 2016

IV application (DS-260) completed: July 12, 2016

Sent AOS & IV packets (Electronic Processing): July 14, 2016

CC: July 20, 2016

Medical: September 13, 2016

Interview: September 19, 2016 APPROVED!

POE: October 31, 2016

-------------------------------------------------------

ROC Process:

Submitted I-751 (USPS Overnight): August 2, 2018

Approved: August 21st, 2019

Timeline

Hello,

I've been reading through this thread, and come to understand that when dealing with Montreal Consulate, it's difficult to prove domicile without currently living in US. However, haven't found an example of how long it actually takes for spouse to immigrate once domicile has been proven.

Would really appreciate any advice, here's our situation:

• I am petitioner, dual Canadian-American, currently living in Canada with wife and baby, never have lived in the US
  • We fully plan to relocate to US when wife granted citizenship
  • We have interview coming up in Montreal, but I have not yet secured a job in the US, though I'm confident I'll be able to based on correspondence so far

My questions are:

1. Should I put off interview until I have a firm offer of employment in US?
  2. Would I actually have to move to US on my own prior to my wife and baby joining me?
  3. And, most importantly, can someone PLEASE provide some examples of how long it took for your spouse to join you once you made the move? Example, if visa is denied at interview due to not establishing domicile, and I move to the US on Dec. 1 2016, when could I reasonably expect my wife would be allowed to join me?

Any answer to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

1) possibly - a firm job offer, with a rental agreement (or family to stay with) plus a joint sponsor works.

2) probably

3) Anywhere from 2 weeks to several months depending on the evidence you provide and the speed at which Montreal looks at it. They're far more often slower (10-12 weeks+ after getting the new evidence) than they are fast. But it has happened much faster of course but count on the slow end.

Remember domicile is decided at interview. So if you have a job offer and places to live, and can start even a week before interview, that's far more positive than no job or place for your family to move to. For such a short job you may need a joint sponsor anyhow though.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I get that living apart is hard, especially with children and the fact you're used to living together. I miss my husband immensely when he's gone for work training for a month or more. We spent our first Christmas and anniversary apart. Really after marriage and before I moved we spent about 27 days together. Not even an entire month. But you do what you have to do to be where you want to be with who you have to be with.

This isn't a case of "we want this or that" but rather, this or that is necessary to get this done promptly with the least amount of guess work. Because every time you leave something in the US government's hands, it's guess work for how long it will take. The petition is completely opaque. You have no idea what's going on for about 6 months. The NVC stage at least feels somewhat active because there are forms and emails. But if you get stuck at Montreal after interview, it can feel even longer than the petition because it's again opaque and you have zero control or influence after any paperwork submission.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks Canadian in Colorado. Really appreciate the response and first-hand knowledge. I think I'll try to put off interview until I firm up a job offer, as I'd rather establish domicile at interview phase than have to guess afteward.

If you get a car, a place to leave (rental or whatever) and insurance (health (there are free health issuance for unemployed people) or auto or house) (very important) would be sufficient. You can also register a company and tell them that you plan to start your own business.

The (intent to establish domicile) evidence is placed in the IV or AOS packet?

AOS. It's the petitioner's.

Remember everything on here is advice and you can take it or leave it. If you want to try it a certain way, at least let us know how it turns out. I wish everyone the best of luck in their journeys. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.