trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Library card seems a little not needed.

If you're not selling the apt are you going to rent it out?

Has the USC looked for a job?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

We will stay in her aunt's place and she will give us a letter for that.

She is going to the US to get her learners permit and to do some other stuff. She is also going to office team for job, but she will move to the US permanently when we get the interview date.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

In the Montreal timeline to interview thread we are having a discussion about proving domicile when both the sponsor and the intending immigrant are living in Canada. I know i'm not the only one who has done this and I decided to start a new thread so the information would not be lost in the other thread. Here is an excerpt:

You are very welcome! No, he didn't have to leave and your immigration lawyer is ..... wrong, but that's not surprising as many people have experienced that. I am sure there are good lawyers out there though.

I was born in Canada, I have dual citizenship through my parents, I have never lived in the United States before now - however I proved domicile. I know this information doesn't help you one iota at this point, however if someone else is reading this for the first time I hope they see it before their Husband or Wife actually leaves the country.

Good luck to you!

to_hope, congrats on getting out of NVC!!

You don't have to prove domicile. You have to prove intent to domicile. Bleh.

Edited by Expat1

For Montreal it's harder to prove intent for domicile than just domicile.

Or seems that way.

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We have the contract for sale of our house, quote for moving, rental agreement in California, letter confirming employment of my USC husband when we move...

I hope that's enough.

2009/09/30 Married
IR-1 begins: 2015/07/07 Courier I-130 petition to Chicago

2015/07/08 Petition delivered | NOA1 date
2015/07/10 Received emailed NOA1 (California) 2015/07/20 Received snail mail NOA1
2015/08/25 NOA2 by email/USCIS site (48 days) 2015/09/02 Received snail mail NOA2

2015/09/15 Received by NVC (21 days)

2015/09/27 Case number assigned (12 days) 2015/09/28 Got case number and IIN over the phone
2015/09/28 Submitted DS-261 2015/09/29 Paid AOS fee (IN PROCESS) 2015/10/01 AOS fee PAID
2015/10/13 Received NVC Welcome Letter hard copy
2015/10/15 Reviewed DS-261 (17 days)
2015/10/16 Received IV Invoice 2015/10/16 Paid IV fee (IN PROCESS)

2015/10/17 Submitted AOS package & IV package 2015/10/19 IV fee PAID 2015/10/19 Submitted DS-260 (scan date)

2015/10/20 Re-sent files (new scan date) 2015/10/29 CASE COMPLETE!

2015/11/13 Heard about interview date (phone) (15 days) 2015/12/07 Medical

2015/12/18 INTERVIEW! 221(g) request for additional sponsor. Otherwise good to go!

2016/01/07 Additional information and passport sent back to Mtl Consulate.

2016/01/12 Passport & 221g delivered to Consulate

2016/01/14 Status updated on CEAC; no update yet on ais.usvisa-info.com

2016/01/28 Status updated to READY 2016/01/29 Status updated to ISSUED

2016/02/01 Received Canada Post info 2016/02/03 Got it!

2016/02/04 POE YVR

2016/03/18 Received green card

2018/11/08 Submitted N-400 online

2018/11/09 Estimated wait time: 31 Days  2018/11/09 Estimated case completion time: 11 months

2018/11/10 Biometrics appt scheduled 2018/11/13 Appointment letter received online

2018/11/27 Biometrics appt

2019/02/25 Interview scheduled

2019/04/01 Interview: APPROVED

2019/04/23 Oath Ceremony

2020/04/03 Elected to local office

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Saw little to no action on the thread I opened so I will try my luck on this wonderful thread!

Filing from Abroad

I have dual citizenship and have lived in Brazil just about my whole life. I intend to move to the US and apply for the CR-1 for my wife. I’m currently looking at two options:

1. Plan A: Seattle – I have a couple of friends who do well and would have us stay at their home until we got settled. They also own a company and could potentially give me a job offer. Cost of living is a bit higher and it’s more expensive to visit other family members I have around the US.
  2. Plan B: Dallas – My brother lives here but shares an apartment with three other people and is unemployed. Cost of living is cheaper, we think about moving here eventually even if we initially live in Seattle. The biggest concern is overcoming the hurdles of immigration.

NVC Stage – We are selling an apartment here so we could try to use assets (money in bank). We also have co-sponsors available.

Intent to establish domicile – The Seattle option, as I’ve said, might lead to a housing agreement and maybe even a job offer. Strong proof of intent, no doubt. I plan on traveling there beforehand to open bank account, get driver’s license, voter’s card, car insurance, etc. If I go with the Dallas option I would probably have to travel beforehand and lease a home and have to pay that every month with my Brazilian income, besides all the other expenses I have from living here. Plus in Dallas I have no immediate job offers, therefore, weaker proof of domicile.

Question:

1. At which point in the immigration process would I have to have my body of evidence of proof of intent to reestablish domicile? Can I send out the I-130 today, get the ball rolling, then a few weeks down the line travel to the US to establish these things? Is this evidence expected at the USCIS, NVC and Interview stages? I’m a bit lost in the whole timeline thing.
  2. (this question is tied to #1) – If we decide to take the Dallas route, would we have to take out a lease on an apartment, a car, pay insurance, etc every month for how long? This seems like a huge financial burden for what is an undetermined period of time, especially if you have this all set before even sending out the I-130.
  3. If my wife is granted the visa, say on the Seattle scenario, do I have to actually begin work at the said job immediately? What if I don’t like working there and decide to quit after a few weeks? And also, what if I decide to move into my own apartment with my wife instead of sharing with these friends of ours? What if we move to another city? In essence, how are you actually legally bound to your proof of domicile arrangements?
  4. What is the shortest period of time I would have to stay in the US to get all those little evidences done? Eg.: insurance, voter ID, bank account, take out a car lease, etc… Do these things have long processing times, background checks, etc? Is two weeks enough?
  5. Using assets (money in bank) as sponsoring, can this money be partly in Brazil partly in the US bank account? It’s just that the dollar is super high right now and a new law made transferring money even more costly… We would definitely like to not have to transfer all of it at once.
  6. Can I maintain my current job in brazil through to the end of the process?

By the way, Brazil does NOT have Direct Consular Filing option.

Thank you! Any help is appreciated!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Here is my list, which was perfectly fine for NVC:

· Сopy of the house deed

· Setting up a bank account and transferring funds to the United States – my Bank statements – home page with address, transactions pages

· Сredit cards copies, account summary pages, payments history pages and latest statements 1st page with the address.

· Seeking employment proofs – emails from *** and *** and ***

· Drivers license

· *** employment letter.

copy of the car title

CR-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Georgia

Marriage: 2015-01-11

I-130 Sent : 2015-07-10 - sent from abroad, auto-expedite

I-130 NOA1 : 2015-07-14

I-130 Approved : 2015-08-13 (30 days)

:dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing::dancing:

Received by NVC: 2015-09-02 (in 20 days after the approval) - no email notification, info obtained over the phone

Case # assigned: 2015-09-10 (in 8 days after the case was received) - no email notification, info obtained over the phone

DS-261 filled: 2015-09-14

AoS fee paid: 2015-09-15

DS-261 reviewed over the phone:2015-09-17

Agent registration email: 2015-09-18

IV fee available: 2015-09-18

IV fee paid: 2015-09-22

IV fee showed paid: 2015-09-23 right before the end of the working day at NVC - at almost midnight EST.

AoS and IV package received: 2015-09-23

DS-260 filled out 2015-09-24

Scan date: 2015-09-24

Now let's get some patience for 3 weeks and hope CC will come without any delays :luv:

Case complete: 2015-10-21 (27 days)

Interview date issued: 2015-10-23

Received by the embassy: 2015-11-12

Interview date: 2015-12-02 (Request to reschedule for the earlier time denied.)

Approved!!!

Visa issued: 2015-12-07

Visa in hand: 2015-12-07

US entry: 2015-12-11

Social Security card arrived only after the visit to SS office, on 01/20

Green Card arrived: 2016-01-27

From NOA-1 to the interview - 141 days (4 months and 18 days)

Groogrux108

This is a Canada specific thread as our consulate is quite strict on the issue of domicile. Most US embassies, especially those overseas, are not as strict about reestablishing domicile. Generally most people just need to show some ties to the USA and have a place ro live upon arrival.

Some domcile evidence is sent to the NVC and brought to interview. You can send an I-130 without anything domicile related.

Edited by NLR

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello all, this thread is a pot of gold for anyone that's been put in a state where they need to re-establish (or show proof of) domicile.

My case is similar to most of you, and one of the biggest sticking points I have is the letter from our joint sponsor stating that we have made arrangements to stay with them for a short term upon our arrival, until we find a place of our own.

Does anyone have (or can at least point me to) a sample letter as such. We're not really sure what kind of (or how much) information it should include, and how detailed it should be. Should it be an official rental agreement, even though he doesn't plan to charge us for staying with him? Are there any specific points that we have to make in this letter? Does the letter need to be notarized?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hello all, this thread is a pot of gold for anyone that's been put in a state where they need to re-establish (or show proof of) domicile.

My case is similar to most of you, and one of the biggest sticking points I have is the letter from our joint sponsor stating that we have made arrangements to stay with them for a short term upon our arrival, until we find a place of our own.

Does anyone have (or can at least point me to) a sample letter as such. We're not really sure what kind of (or how much) information it should include, and how detailed it should be. Should it be an official rental agreement, even though he doesn't plan to charge us for staying with him? Are there any specific points that we have to make in this letter? Does the letter need to be notarized?

This is our letter:

December 15, 2015

Name of person who writes the letter

Address

Evidence in support of a place to live for Petitioner’ Name, Applicant, and Beneficiary’s Name Beneficiary

The following is to certify that I,***** ******, residing at the above noted address, born on ******** and bearer of the US passport #*******, have known Petitioner’ Name my whole life, and have been aware of her relationship with Beneficiary’s Name since the beginning of their courtship. They are a very loving and caring couple and will have a great family one day when they are united in the USA. Upon arrival in the United States, they will reside with me at the above noted address until they wish to move into a home of their own.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at Phone Number.

Sincerely

Signature

This letter worked for us at NVC stage but before interview (Montreal) US citizen has to go back to the US since Montreal is too picky about domicile. You have to check and read reviews for your embassy to see what they want.

Good Luck

Edited by Ariaeeb

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

This is our letter:

December 15, 2015

Name of person who writes the letter

Address

Evidence in support of a place to live for Petitioner’ Name, Applicant, and Beneficiary’s Name Beneficiary

The following is to certify that I,***** ******, residing at the above noted address, born on ******** and bearer of the US passport #*******, have known Petitioner’ Name my whole life, and have been aware of her relationship with Beneficiary’s Name since the beginning of their courtship. They are a very loving and caring couple and will have a great family one day when they are united in the USA. Upon arrival in the United States, they will reside with me at the above noted address until they wish to move into a home of their own.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at Phone Number.

Sincerely

Signature

This letter worked for us at NVC stage but before interview (Montreal) US citizen has to go back to the US since Montreal is too picky about domicile. You have to check and read reviews for your embassy to see what they want.

Good Luck

Ariaeeb, thank you so much, you're a godsend!

This might be a stupid questions:

Is it possible to open a bank account in the US from abroad?? Bosnia does not have a bank that works it any US bank. I will be visiting family in Germany in April is there a bank there that I can open an account?

event.png

1/3/2009- Married

2/5/2016- I130 sent

2/11/2016- NOA1 Potomac

5/13/2016- I130 approved

5/18/2016- Sent to NVC

5/20/2016- NVC received

6/9/2016- Case # received (Welcome letter)

7/1/2016- Sent our IV and AOS packets to NVC

7/8/2016- Scan date

8/9/2016- Case Complete

9/20/2016- Medical exam

10/3/2016- Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.