trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Sasstry, I am curious what you submitted in terms of affidavit of support prior to your interview at US Consulate in Montreal.

I went for an interview on May 27th. My husband (USC) lives here with me in Canada and my in laws will be the ones financially supporting me. Hence we submitted the following:

- I-864 from my husband plus US taxes of 2013, 2014

- I-864A from my in-laws plus US taxes of 2013, 2014.

The consulate gave me 221g stating that I need to submit I-864 for my in-laws.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi cool497,

I have a similar situation like you where my sponsor is living abroad, I am wondering what you had with you in the interview to prove your brother domicile.

I hope we get out of this wait soon.

I have contacted my lawyer and send them lots papers establishing domicle in usa even my brother is working aboard my lawyer says its not a big deal

I have send papers on may 15 the only thing happens is they updated something on may 27

Waiting game started

Dont know how long did u send your papers

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the info cool497,

I didn't send my stuff yet, I just got a 221g saying that I need a joint sponsor.

My only option for the joint sponsor is my father in law who has been living abroad for 15 years but paying taxes and stuff.

What was the original documents you submitted that were NOT accepted?

Timeline

All I have submitted is photo copy

Driver license

car insurance copy

car registration

bank account

credit cards copy

utility bills

Property tax papers

property information

voter Registration Card

Kids school information(my Brother kids goes school in US)

Medical insurance from Usa

letter from his employer that he is working in on temporary basis.

As I have to prove my brother Us Domicile my lawyer says this is enough evidence.

Hope his information Helps.

Dont know how long I have to wait till Montreal consulate look into my case.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hi, I am just seeing your post. My situation was different as my husband did not need me to file affidavit of support. He was eligible to file I-864W. Also I had a job offer, with more than adequate salary even before the interview in Montreal. Our problem was the physical domicile, because I was still living and working in Canada at the time of interview.

Hey Sasstry, I am curious what you submitted in terms of affidavit of support prior to your interview at US Consulate in Montreal.

I went for an interview on May 27th. My husband (USC) lives here with me in Canada and my in laws will be the ones financially supporting me. Hence we submitted the following:

- I-864 from my husband plus US taxes of 2013, 2014

- I-864A from my in-laws plus US taxes of 2013, 2014.

The consulate gave me 221g stating that I need to submit I-864 for my in-laws.

Based upon my experience, Montreal will not accept the US petitioner living outside the US.

IR1 Visa for spouse, both of us lived in Canada

I-130: Nebraska Service Center- submitted Feb 3,2014, approved July 30, 2014.

NVC received: Aug 22 2014

Case number, IIN available: Sept 3 2014

DS-261 submitted: Sept 3 2014

AOS submitted via email: Sept 5, 2014 (received email receipt from NVS Sept 8)

AOS fee paid: Sept 4 2014

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

IV fee invoice received and IV fee paid: Oct 2 2014

DS-260 submitted: Oct 5 2014

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

Interview scheduled Nov 13, 2014

Interview Dec 17, 2014- denied for proof of domicile- 221G

Jan 30 2015: proof of domicile sent

Feb 5; Feb 19- status updated on CEAC, still says Administrative processing.

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

Status updates (without enquiry from anyone): April 27, May 6, May 7, May 13

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Green card production ordered July 23

Green card received July 24

Timeline

well lets see I am more concern as how long they will take to decide I saw an update on may 27 then nothing happen.

As we have plans for this summer and visa officer kept our passports during interview,

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

ELIS fee and green card tracking question:

I finally paid the ELIS fee. Now the ELIS website says "Optimized" and "In Progress".

What happens next?

Will the ELIS website status say when the card is produced and when it has been mailed?

Which is the website to track the green card, once the ELIS website says the card has been produced?

Thanks.

IR1 Visa for spouse, both of us lived in Canada

I-130: Nebraska Service Center- submitted Feb 3,2014, approved July 30, 2014.

NVC received: Aug 22 2014

Case number, IIN available: Sept 3 2014

DS-261 submitted: Sept 3 2014

AOS submitted via email: Sept 5, 2014 (received email receipt from NVS Sept 8)

AOS fee paid: Sept 4 2014

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

IV fee invoice received and IV fee paid: Oct 2 2014

DS-260 submitted: Oct 5 2014

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

Interview scheduled Nov 13, 2014

Interview Dec 17, 2014- denied for proof of domicile- 221G

Jan 30 2015: proof of domicile sent

Feb 5; Feb 19- status updated on CEAC, still says Administrative processing.

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

Status updates (without enquiry from anyone): April 27, May 6, May 7, May 13

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Green card production ordered July 23

Green card received July 24

Timeline

Hello experts my case stats updated today as READY

What does this mean in detail it says it's ready for interview in Montreal consulate but I Arendt had one in May and I send the papers they need

Any inputs please

Timeline

Hello My case updated as

Issued

Your visa case is currently undergoing necessary administrative processing. This processing can take several weeks. As the officer told you in the interview, if further information is needed, you will be contacted. If your visa application is approved when administrative processing is finished, you will receive notification to collect the passport with the visa from the Loomis branch you selected when you booked your appointment.

Please note: Under the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, Immigrant Visas for "Diversity Visas" cannot be issued after September 30th of the year in which you were selected to apply for a Diversity Visa. For example, entrants into the Diversity Visa Program in Fall of 2011 were selected for Diversity Visa 2012 Program, and selectees MUST apply and receive their visa prior to September 30, 2012 otherwise they lose eligibility to receive a Diversity Immigrant Visa, regardless of additional administrative processing. Also, some immigrant visas may not be able to be issued if the annual numerical limit for that category has been reached.

Will I get my visa soon ?

ELIS fee and green card tracking question:

I finally paid the ELIS fee. Now the ELIS website says "Optimized" and "In Progress".

What happens next?

Will the ELIS website status say when the card is produced and when it has been mailed?

Which is the website to track the green card, once the ELIS website says the card has been produced?

Thanks.

use your IOE on the USCIS case tracker once ELIS says card produced, case closed.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hey everyone.

As I get closer to our interview date, I am getting more nervous to ensure I have the right paperwork.

I have been getting mixed answers, so I thought I would post here. My question is, do I need to bring and/or submit a new updated I-864 form with me to Montreal since my wife after 4 years in Canada is now back and working in the US (started on June 3rd)? The NVC tells me no, some posters who have their said no, but other poster said yes.

Thanks.

USCIS
July 15/2014 - I-130 Fedex to Chicago Lockbox
July 20/2014 - Received email confirming docs sent to CSC
July 23/2014 - Received NOA1 via snail mail
Aug 25/2014 - USCIS approved Petition
Sept 2/2014 - Rec'vd copy of NOA2 - file sent to NVC
NVC
Oct 09/2014 - Rec'vd welcome letter from NVC with Case number.
Oct 10/2014 - Filled in DS-261 form
Oct 18/2014 - Paid AOS fees
Dec 24/2014 - Paid IV Fee
Dec 31/2014 - Competed and scanned DS-260 form (not sent).
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Mar 4/2015 - Rec'vd 60 Day Letter
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Apr 6/2015 - Resent I864 (AOS) Checklist via EP. Now waiting again!!!!
Apr 16/2015 - Rec'vd 60-day notice email - alot quicker than last time.
Apr 27/2015 - Rec'vd confirmation from NVC we have a CC.
Montreal
May 07/2015 - Rec'vd P4 email providing interview date and requirements
May 21st/2015 - Medicals w/ Dr. Lyndon
June 30/2015 - Interview Date
June 30/2015 - Approved
July 7th/2015 - Received Passport and Documents
July 17th/2015 - Cross POE
July 28th/2015 - Receive SSN
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Did she move? Is she employed in the USA? If anything on the I-864 changed, then YES.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Hi NLR,

Yes she did move on June 1st and started work on June 3rd after her company got her transferred to a store in Chicago.

Any idea why we would be told by the NVC a new one isn't necessary? Because I did ask them twice.

I assume them that 2014 tax year will be used on the new I-864 and also her US income then?

USCIS
July 15/2014 - I-130 Fedex to Chicago Lockbox
July 20/2014 - Received email confirming docs sent to CSC
July 23/2014 - Received NOA1 via snail mail
Aug 25/2014 - USCIS approved Petition
Sept 2/2014 - Rec'vd copy of NOA2 - file sent to NVC
NVC
Oct 09/2014 - Rec'vd welcome letter from NVC with Case number.
Oct 10/2014 - Filled in DS-261 form
Oct 18/2014 - Paid AOS fees
Dec 24/2014 - Paid IV Fee
Dec 31/2014 - Competed and scanned DS-260 form (not sent).
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Mar 4/2015 - Rec'vd 60 Day Letter
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Apr 6/2015 - Resent I864 (AOS) Checklist via EP. Now waiting again!!!!
Apr 16/2015 - Rec'vd 60-day notice email - alot quicker than last time.
Apr 27/2015 - Rec'vd confirmation from NVC we have a CC.
Montreal
May 07/2015 - Rec'vd P4 email providing interview date and requirements
May 21st/2015 - Medicals w/ Dr. Lyndon
June 30/2015 - Interview Date
June 30/2015 - Approved
July 7th/2015 - Received Passport and Documents
July 17th/2015 - Cross POE
July 28th/2015 - Receive SSN
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Because the NVC doesn't care past the interview given date point. Montreal will however.

Edited by NLR

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.