trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Ruby

Sorry to hear of the conundrum. I am now convinced that the consulate will only approve cases such as ours, if the US petitioner reestablishes domicile definitively. For example, I sent the consulate a formal lease agreement, firm job offer letter for myself and school registration confirmation, all to begin March 16, and this was sent end Jan, received by the consulate Feb 5. From Feb 5 to March 19, they did nothing about it. March 19, they acknowledged the email I sent them stating that I have reestablished domicile and my kids have started school in California. Only then did they actually even look at the file, albeit slowly.

My status got updated yesterday April 27, without any enquiry from me. I hope that someone is actively doing something with the file.

HI Ssastry,

Sorry to hear the Consulate is still taking its time with your file.

I had contacted my local Congresswoman for assistance with my file but was told that it would take 6-8 weeks for me to hear back from the Congresswoman's office. And before I could ask the assistant any questions, she just hung up the phone. I don't know of what help they'll be but I'd give it a try.

Also the Consulate recently informed me that I needed to submit additional evidence of domicile and for example should take concrete steps to secure employment in the USA. For me, that is a lot easier said than done. Actively searching for jobs but still no luck yet.

I was planning on going back to the US next month however, just found out that there is a possibility my husband may be laid off from his company soon. That has left me rethinking what to do as I cannot afford to lose my current job at the moment.

So that is the progress or lack thereof on my case. Not sure what will happen.

-Ruby

IR1 Visa for spouse, both of us lived in Canada

I-130: Nebraska Service Center- submitted Feb 3,2014, approved July 30, 2014.

NVC received: Aug 22 2014

Case number, IIN available: Sept 3 2014

DS-261 submitted: Sept 3 2014

AOS submitted via email: Sept 5, 2014 (received email receipt from NVS Sept 8)

AOS fee paid: Sept 4 2014

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

IV fee invoice received and IV fee paid: Oct 2 2014

DS-260 submitted: Oct 5 2014

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

Interview scheduled Nov 13, 2014

Interview Dec 17, 2014- denied for proof of domicile- 221G

Jan 30 2015: proof of domicile sent

Feb 5; Feb 19- status updated on CEAC, still says Administrative processing.

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

Status updates (without enquiry from anyone): April 27, May 6, May 7, May 13

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Green card production ordered July 23

Green card received July 24

Timeline

NLR, others:

Still in AP. However visa status was updated last Monday April 27, and today May 6, without any enquiry from me. Do you think this means they are working on my file?

Thanks for replying, NLR. I will update on this forum if/when I hear something from the consulate. May 6 or so would be great.

My husband's visa medical expires May 18/19. I am now worried that when it comes time to issue a visa, the consulate will ask for updated medical, and further push back the visa. I emailed the consulate last week, and told them that my husband can activate the visa the day he receives it. He is waiting in Toronto, and can easily drive to Niagara Falls to POE.

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Timeline

One more status update today, May 7. Still reads Administrative Processing.

Dare I be encouraged?

NLR, others:

Still in AP. However visa status was updated last Monday April 27, and today May 6, without any enquiry from me. Do you think this means they are working on my file?

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Timeline

Latest update on domicile related AP:

My husband received a phone call today, from the IV visa unit in Montreal. They are ready to issue the visa (finally!), However his medical exam is expiring Monday May 18. Hence the consulate requested my husband to personally go and pick up his passport and visa. He will have to activate the visa immediately, same day that he picks it up, by going to any border crossing POE, near Montreal. Then he will turn around and go back to Toronto, and book his flights, check out of his hotel, etc.

From the time the consulate 'received' additional documents to prove domicile, to today, was 49 days.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

That is such great news!!! The wait is finally over!

Thank you for all the updates!

My husband received a phone call today, from the IV visa unit in Montreal. They are ready to issue the visa (finally!), However his medical exam is expiring Monday May 18. Hence the consulate requested my husband to personally go and pick up his passport and visa. He will have to activate the visa immediately, same day that he picks it up, by going to any border crossing POE, near Montreal. Then he will turn around and go back to Toronto, and book his flights, check out of his hotel, etc.

From the time the consulate 'received' additional documents to prove domicile, to today, was 49 days.

I"m so glad that he finally got the visa!!! That took forever. While it was really unfortunately for you, it is a good reminder to everyone else to get the domicile completely squared away before interview because they're still very strict and take forever to review.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Now I hope he does not have trouble crossing at the border just to 'activate' the visa and then be returning immediately in order to make travel arrangements and car shipping arrangements.

I"m so glad that he finally got the visa!!! That took forever. While it was really unfortunately for you, it is a good reminder to everyone else to get the domicile completely squared away before interview because they're still very strict and take forever to review.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Timeline

Update:

My husband picked up his visa and passport this morning in Montreal. The consulate had sent him an email, authorizing him to be allowed in to the consulate. He was in and out in ten minutes. Then he drove straight to Ogdensburg-Prescott crossing and activated his visa without any problems.

The visa must have had the shortest validity of all visas issued- issued May 14, expires May 18!

Yes, I completely agree with NLR above- make sure your domicile is air tight when you interview. I had a firm job offer letter from Stanford University, and still got a 221g in December 2014, for proof of domicile because I was living in Canada.

I tried to pay the ELIS fee, however the system says I have to wait until May 19 for the fee to become available to pay. Maybe the system needs 5 days to update after visa is issued?

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Timeline

ELIS fee payment problems

I am unable to pay this fee. The visa was issued Thursday May 14. I created an account on USCIS ELIS payment portal. Each time I try to pay, it says try five days later. I have tried with Internet Explorer and Safari.

Any one else here with similar problems?

I have tried all ways of entering A-number as well.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning Sasstry.

I am happy everything is moving along with you. The journey is almost at an end.

I have a question with you and it pertains to the domicile issue.

My USC wife is actually moving three weeks in advance of my interview to start a new job (her job is transferring her) in the city where we are moving to. I plan on her having send me her paystub, a bill with her name on it, bank statement with new deposits, a copy of her new/reissued drivers license. Do you think that should be enough to prove she is back in the US?

NVC says I don't need to bring an updated I-864 what are your thoughts?

Update:

My husband picked up his visa and passport this morning in Montreal. The consulate had sent him an email, authorizing him to be allowed in to the consulate. He was in and out in ten minutes. Then he drove straight to Ogdensburg-Prescott crossing and activated his visa without any problems.

The visa must have had the shortest validity of all visas issued- issued May 14, expires May 18!

Yes, I completely agree with NLR above- make sure your domicile is air tight when you interview. I had a firm job offer letter from Stanford University, and still got a 221g in December 2014, for proof of domicile because I was living in Canada.

I tried to pay the ELIS fee, however the system says I have to wait until May 19 for the fee to become available to pay. Maybe the system needs 5 days to update after visa is issued?

USCIS
July 15/2014 - I-130 Fedex to Chicago Lockbox
July 20/2014 - Received email confirming docs sent to CSC
July 23/2014 - Received NOA1 via snail mail
Aug 25/2014 - USCIS approved Petition
Sept 2/2014 - Rec'vd copy of NOA2 - file sent to NVC
NVC
Oct 09/2014 - Rec'vd welcome letter from NVC with Case number.
Oct 10/2014 - Filled in DS-261 form
Oct 18/2014 - Paid AOS fees
Dec 24/2014 - Paid IV Fee
Dec 31/2014 - Competed and scanned DS-260 form (not sent).
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Mar 4/2015 - Rec'vd 60 Day Letter
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Apr 6/2015 - Resent I864 (AOS) Checklist via EP. Now waiting again!!!!
Apr 16/2015 - Rec'vd 60-day notice email - alot quicker than last time.
Apr 27/2015 - Rec'vd confirmation from NVC we have a CC.
Montreal
May 07/2015 - Rec'vd P4 email providing interview date and requirements
May 21st/2015 - Medicals w/ Dr. Lyndon
June 30/2015 - Interview Date
June 30/2015 - Approved
July 7th/2015 - Received Passport and Documents
July 17th/2015 - Cross POE
July 28th/2015 - Receive SSN
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Timeline

Canuckmoran:

What you list seems to be adequate. Here is what I sent:

End Jan 2015, as soon as lease was signed- lease agreement (lease started March 16), job offer starting May 1, childrens' school registration starting May 16; utilities hook up starting March 16.

After I moved and physically reestablished domicile:- email from school welcoming my kids; and then one week later- copy of new California drivers license and car registration, showing new address.

After receiving this second set of documents, I received an email from the consulate stating "we have sufficient proof of domicile".

For you, the main thing is your sponsor will already have moved and established domicile when you interview. You will be fine.

Re I-864- the consulate did not revisit that issue with us either. However, my husband was able to use I-864W because he had worked in the US previously for 11 years, hence did not need me to financially sponsor him.

I was nervous that the consulate would ask for 2014 tax returns before issuing the visa, however that did not happen.

Good morning Sasstry.

I am happy everything is moving along with you. The journey is almost at an end.

I have a question with you and it pertains to the domicile issue.

My USC wife is actually moving three weeks in advance of my interview to start a new job (her job is transferring her) in the city where we are moving to. I plan on her having send me her paystub, a bill with her name on it, bank statement with new deposits, a copy of her new/reissued drivers license. Do you think that should be enough to prove she is back in the US?

NVC says I don't need to bring an updated I-864 what are your thoughts?

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Need Advice I went for f4 interview and was give 221g domicile of sponcer

My brother is a sponcer but he works in Middle East for last 5 years.

Paying taxes in USA

Have 3 properties in USA

Kids go school in USA

Have insurance medical and car in USA

He has utility bills in his name

Voter registration card

His salary comes to U.S. bank etc

We have send all those documents to Montreal consulate 2 weeks.ago but no response.

Any idea how long they take the visa officer did ask us to leave our passport with him during interview.

Thanks in advance

Someone else recently had to send docs to Montreal and it took them 5 months to get back to them.

well almost 5?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.