trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

You have a green card immediately upon POE when you have a CR1 or IR1 visa. The visa in your passport is stamped and that endorsement turns the visa into a temporary green card valid for 1 year. At that point in time you should be trying to reside in the USA. You have 6 months from the medical date in which to use the visa initially so if you have things you need to do, that is the time in which you have to do them.

Also you can live in the USA and work in Canada, the hard part is that you'll have to file taxes in both countries.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

NLR and others with experience:

In AP since Dec 17 interview, for proof of domicile. In end Jan, I (petitioner) submitted lease, petitioner's job offer, school registration, documents received by consulate Feb 5. The case status updated a few times.

Then March 15, I moved back to the US, and sent an email enquiry because I moved back to the US and reestablished domicile, my children started school, etc.

March 19, I received a reply saying my file is being reviewed. Same day one hour later, I received a request for information, and instruction to reply to the question via email. I replied within an hour on March 19.

One week later, March 25, I received an email acknowledgement saying "the consular officer will review the documents you submitted". The CEAC status check says the same "administrative processing".

Any thoughts or advice? My husband is a Canadian citizen.

The medical exam expires May 18 (done Nov 18, 2014). I am worried that the consulate will continue dragging its feet, and then say that the medical needs re-done. My husband is in a hotel in Toronto, awaiting return of his passport. I have to start work, and my job involves night and odd hours work in a hospital, so I need another adult (i.e. my husband) at home to leave my elementary school children and go take care of my patients.

Any advice welcome.

IR1 Visa for spouse, both of us lived in Canada

I-130: Nebraska Service Center- submitted Feb 3,2014, approved July 30, 2014.

NVC received: Aug 22 2014

Case number, IIN available: Sept 3 2014

DS-261 submitted: Sept 3 2014

AOS submitted via email: Sept 5, 2014 (received email receipt from NVS Sept 8)

AOS fee paid: Sept 4 2014

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

IV fee invoice received and IV fee paid: Oct 2 2014

DS-260 submitted: Oct 5 2014

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

Interview scheduled Nov 13, 2014

Interview Dec 17, 2014- denied for proof of domicile- 221G

Jan 30 2015: proof of domicile sent

Feb 5; Feb 19- status updated on CEAC, still says Administrative processing.

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

Status updates (without enquiry from anyone): April 27, May 6, May 7, May 13

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Green card production ordered July 23

Green card received July 24

Timeline

Thanks I just Pm-ed you.

I am in the process of contact my congressional rep.

Contact your Senator. That's far too long for simple domicile.

IV documents submitted via email: Sept 15 2014 (received email receipt from NVC Sept 18)

Case complete Oct 31 (no checklist) Electronic processing; IV package emailed before IV invoice received

March 13, 2015- US citizen spouse moved back to California, sent consulate confirmation that domicile now reestablished.

March 30, 2015 - email from consulate stating that they have adequate proof of domicile, still in AP.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

Timeline

NLR:

Just FYI, I contacted the congresswoman, and her aide sent an enquiry to the consulate Thursday April 2 afternoon. The consulate is closed Friday April 3 and Monday April 6 for Easter, so I do not expect any response before Wed/Thursday.

The latest correspondence from consulate is as follows:

March 30- "The consular officer is working on your file. You will get an updated status as soon as the review is complete"

March 31- I sent additional domicile reestablishment proof via email- California driver license and car registration.

April 1: "Thank you. We have sufficient proof of domicile".

Any other thoughts? My husband is fourth generation Canadian, does not have of the professional or other red flags for security processing, and has an extremely uncommon name of Ukrainian/Polish origin.

Thanks I just Pm-ed you.

I am in the process of contact my congressional rep.

May 13- Ready

May 14 Issued.

POE May 15, 2015

ELIS fee paid May 30

NLR:

Just FYI, I contacted the congresswoman, and her aide sent an enquiry to the consulate Thursday April 2 afternoon. The consulate is closed Friday April 3 and Monday April 6 for Easter, so I do not expect any response before Wed/Thursday.

The latest correspondence from consulate is as follows:

March 30- "The consular officer is working on your file. You will get an updated status as soon as the review is complete"

March 31- I sent additional domicile reestablishment proof via email- California driver license and car registration.

April 1: "Thank you. We have sufficient proof of domicile".

Any other thoughts? My husband is fourth generation Canadian, does not have of the professional or other red flags for security processing, and has an extremely uncommon name of Ukrainian/Polish origin.

Now that the domicile is complete they should get back to you soon about an issued visa. Keep on it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone.

Our application got checklisted and with the way the processing times are going we might not be ready by June 1st, so how does this delay affect out domicile proof documents - our rental agreement for June 1st? Any thoughts?

USCIS
July 15/2014 - I-130 Fedex to Chicago Lockbox
July 20/2014 - Received email confirming docs sent to CSC
July 23/2014 - Received NOA1 via snail mail
Aug 25/2014 - USCIS approved Petition
Sept 2/2014 - Rec'vd copy of NOA2 - file sent to NVC
NVC
Oct 09/2014 - Rec'vd welcome letter from NVC with Case number.
Oct 10/2014 - Filled in DS-261 form
Oct 18/2014 - Paid AOS fees
Dec 24/2014 - Paid IV Fee
Dec 31/2014 - Competed and scanned DS-260 form (not sent).
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Mar 4/2015 - Rec'vd 60 Day Letter
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Apr 6/2015 - Resent I864 (AOS) Checklist via EP. Now waiting again!!!!
Apr 16/2015 - Rec'vd 60-day notice email - alot quicker than last time.
Apr 27/2015 - Rec'vd confirmation from NVC we have a CC.
Montreal
May 07/2015 - Rec'vd P4 email providing interview date and requirements
May 21st/2015 - Medicals w/ Dr. Lyndon
June 30/2015 - Interview Date
June 30/2015 - Approved
July 7th/2015 - Received Passport and Documents
July 17th/2015 - Cross POE
July 28th/2015 - Receive SSN
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Timeline

Quick question.

If our claim of re-establishing domicile is rejected at the interview stage will we have an opportunity to submit additional proof of support (i.e. financial support from family)?

USCIS
NVC
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Montreal
June 30/2015 - Approved
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Quick question.

If our claim of re-establishing domicile is rejected at the interview stage will we have an opportunity to submit additional proof of support (i.e. financial support from family)?

Yes they will give you a 221g, a timeline to respond and ask for more evidence. However another member here is still waiting for visa issue after a 221g in December.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I have filed a I-130 for my husband. He has had his interview at the US consulate in Montreal on December 18th and they asked for further proof of domicile from me. I have been living with my husband in Canada temporarily for the last year and a half. We do plan to move to the states together once he receives his US visa. Since the interview at the consulate we have provided numerous explanations and documents proving my stay in Canada is temporary and that I intend to go back to the US.

For example, I have secured a place of residence in the US (gave immigration the lease agreement), am a registered voter, have an active US bank acct, actively seeking jobs in the US and evidence of my temporary status and employment in Canada. Even after submitting all this evidence the consulate has said it is not enough. I asked them if resinging from my job in Canada would meet their requirements to which they replied that it was not required. We do not have children to register in school and I have been applying for jobs in the US but no luck on that as of yet.

I am not sure what else I can do. Do you have any other suggestions as to what steps we can take?

Timeline

Good morning.

Just a two quick questions of clarification. I feel your pain, this is what my wife and will have to face. We will have to prove that she is reestablishing domicile, like you we don't have any children, but we have secured a place, her employer is assisting in her getting he relocated to the US.

1) Was your interview in Montreal after your case was completed at NVC? 2) Were you proving your stay was temporary or were you proving you are reestablishing domicile?

Again, I feel your pain. What more can someone do, especially if they don't want you to quit your job and go back to the US first....that is frustrating.

Richard

I have filed a I-130 for my husband. He has had his interview at the US consulate in Montreal on December 18th and they asked for further proof of domicile from me. I have been living with my husband in Canada temporarily for the last year and a half. We do plan to move to the states together once he receives his US visa. Since the interview at the consulate we have provided numerous explanations and documents proving my stay in Canada is temporary and that I intend to go back to the US.

For example, I have secured a place of residence in the US (gave immigration the lease agreement), am a registered voter, have an active US bank acct, actively seeking jobs in the US and evidence of my temporary status and employment in Canada. Even after submitting all this evidence the consulate has said it is not enough. I asked them if resinging from my job in Canada would meet their requirements to which they replied that it was not required. We do not have children to register in school and I have been applying for jobs in the US but no luck on that as of yet.

I am not sure what else I can do. Do you have any other suggestions as to what steps we can take?

USCIS
NVC
Montreal
June 30/2015 - Approved
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Looks like they want you working in the USA. I would resign and move if possible.

Timeline

How long does the petitioner need to be living in the US? How long do they need to be working? In evaluating the petitioner's ability to support the immigrant and meet the 125% of the poverty line, what kind of information will satisfy the consulate? Does the petitioner need to be able to show that amount on their US taxes, or if they've been working only for a few months, would a pay stub be sufficient?

2015.07.20: Sent I-130 package

2015.07.26: NOA1 (routed to CSC)

2015.08.19 NOA2 (25 days approval INSANITY)

2015.09.07 NVC receives case (19 days)

2015.09.18 NVC assigns case #

2015.09.21 DS-261 submitted

2015.09.21 AOS bill paid

2015.10.27 AOS/IV package arrives at NVC

2015.10.28 DS-261 reviewed (didn't call)

2015.10.28 scan date for AOS/IV (30 day review)

2015.10.29 IV bill paid

2015.11.03 DS-260 submitted

2015.12.09 Case complete at NVC

2015.12.15 Receive interview date

2015.12.22 Medical exam

2016.01.28 Interview - approved!

2016.01.29 Visa is issued

2016.02.01 Receive waybill number

Timeline

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your response. Yes, it is very frustrating and overwhelming. I hope that you and your wife don't have to go through the same agonizing process.

To answer your questions:

1- My husband had his interview in Montreal after the NVC completed the case. We received an email with the interview date two days after the NVC's email regarding completion.

2- I was trying to prove both to them actually if that makes sense I wanted to provide as much proof as I could and the lady who interviewed my husband said that I just needed to provide a letter explaining my temporary status in Canada and prove of it. Now I know that they need way more than that so the info they give is very vague and misleading.

-Ruby

Good morning.

Just a two quick questions of clarification. I feel your pain, this is what my wife and will have to face. We will have to prove that she is reestablishing domicile, like you we don't have any children, but we have secured a place, her employer is assisting in her getting he relocated to the US.

1) Was your interview in Montreal after your case was completed at NVC? 2) Were you proving your stay was temporary or were you proving you are reestablishing domicile?

Again, I feel your pain. What more can someone do, especially if they don't want you to quit your job and go back to the US first....that is frustrating.

Richard

Timeline

Thanks for your response. I've been dreading having to do that but now I think that's the only option I have left. I'm going to have to start planning my move back to the USA soon. It's such a burden in so many ways especially financially.

Looks like they want you working in the USA. I would resign and move if possible.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.