trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

Tickets to the USA do not prove domicile. Your bank accounts, voter registration, driver's licence, leases, mortgage, job, etc... those prove domicile. Having the contract for your home stuff in storage will help. The fact that you're retired then they likely will not expect you to have employment but I'm not a CO and cannot extrapolate what goes on in their heads. I have just read, time and time again, about people in Montreal being issued a 221g for reestablishment of domicile.

We share a large border and the government doesn't care about any personal issues, just if their guidelines are met. It seems they don't care if you are staying home with your young children or are retired or whatever else, those are personal problems not their issue. In a way they are correct, this is a privilege not a right. But it is also more than annoying that it feels like a government doesn't care about their citizens on a personal level.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems all the interviews to establish domicile is at the Montreal Consulate. I live in Toronto so can this not be done at the Toronto Consulate or would I have to travel to Montreal?

Thanks,

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems all the interviews to establish domicile is at the Montreal Consulate. I live in Toronto so can this not be done at the Toronto Consulate or would I have to travel to Montreal?

Thanks,

What visa are you going for? Where is the USA spouse/partner now?

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

What visa are you going for? Where is the USA spouse/partner now?

My wife (US Citizen) and myself(CAN citizen) live here in Canada. We are planning a move to the US so I will need a Green card to work. When it comes for the interview to prove domicile, do we have to go to Montreal or can this be done at the US consulate in Toronto.

Thanks

Edited by sanchez411

Timeline

My wife (US Citizen) and myself(CAN citizen) live here in Canada. We are planning a move to the US so I will need a Green card to work. When it comes for the interview to prove domicile, do we have to go to Montreal or can this be done at the US consulate in Toronto.

Thanks

Only Montreal for all married couples gong the cr-1/Ir-1 route in Canada

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Reading this thread has left me feeling extremely worried.

I am a USC who has been living in Canada since 2004 with my Canadian husband. We have a 2-yr old daughter who received her CRBA in February. Since having my daughter I've been feeling extremely homesick so my husband and I have been talking about moving to Connecticut so that we can be closer to my family. Of course living in Canada for so many years it is obvious that I don't have a "domicile" in the US. When I initially began looking into the whole visa process I wasn't very worried about not being able to satisfy "intent to re-establish a US domicile" to the consular official performing the visa interview, but after looking at everyone's experiences with their interviews at the Montreal consulate now I'm not so sure.

Our plan is it initially move in with my mother (who would also be acting as co/joint sponsor for my husband since I will not meet the financial requirement of the AOS alone) until we both find jobs and are able to afford an apartment of our own. I have maintained my US bank account and during our last visit I made sure that it was still considered to be an active account at my bank. I am behind on filing my US taxes, but I have downloaded/printed all of the forms that are needed to get back in to compliance and plan to do so before even submitting the I-130. I was also considering going back to school once we moved back so I can finish getting my Bachelors degree.

Given the age of our daughter, it would be extremely difficult for us if we had to be separated if me and my daughter - since she's also a USC and my husband would not be able to care for her on his own - had to move to the US in order to provide proof of domicile that would be accepted by the Montreal consulate. I would be willing to go to CT temporarily and apply for a driver's license and import/register my car and apply for car insurance but remaining there without my husband really isn't much of an option at this point in time. While there I would also apply for my daughter's SSN since we didn't do this at the same time we filed for the CRBA.

I don't work in a specialized field so the chances of finding an employer who would give me an offer of employment without a guaranteed date on when I could start is extremely unlikely. And I don't have any friends or relatives who own their own business who would be willing to hire me and provide a letter of offer of employment.

Since we haven't actually begun the process, right now I'm basically looking for advice on what types of documents are being accepted by the officers at the Montreal consulate as proof of or proof of intent to re-establish domicile. Any help all of you would be able to provide would be very much appreciated. I really really don't want my family to be separated.

Montreal would really prefer it if the USC was living in the US by the time of the intereview although this isn't practical for most of the couples where both live in Canada. Montreal's favourite proof of re-establishing domicile is a job. After that they will accept proof of new address. Whereas most embassies will accept, "I'm going to be living with my in-laws", Montreal likes to see a lease.The lease just has to look official. I don't mean that you have to rent somewhere from a third party. If this can be backed up with driver's license, voter's registration all the better.

Bank accounts are not sufficient as proof of reestablishing domicile.

When submitting paperwork at NVC stage you have to send proof that domicile is being reestablished but in that case you can follow the guidelines on the government website.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

NLR,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by Montreal is strict? Example, I am leaving California next month to go stay with my wife in Montreal until this immigration non-sense is over (we are in the NVC stage now). So I will still have all of my american bank accounts/retirement accounts, a vehicle with insurance, and have my personal belongings in storage in California but I wont have an address because why pay rent when you are on a 4-6 month vacation. The only thing we wont have is a plane ticket because how are we supposed to know when they will approve us. Do they really expect people to know when they are going to get approved so they can buy a ticket home just to prove domicile? Thanks.

Were you living in the US when you filed and used a US address for yourself?

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

Were you living in the US when you filed and used a US address for yourself?

Yes, i am living here now and have filed everything up through the IV package. Just waiting on NVC to process everything. I am not leaving California until Mid April to go visit my wife in Canada until September...

USCIS

April 9, 2013: NOA 1

Nov. 18: Transferred to Texas

Dec 9: NOA 2

Dec 17: NOA 2 Hard Copy

NVC

Jan 17, 2014: Case received by NVC

Feb. 25: NVC Case# Received

Feb 28: DS-261 Submitted

March 3: AOS Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 6: AOS Bill showing paid

March 6: AOS Packet sent EP (I did not know at the time but 3 attachments were JPEG's, only PDF's are accepted)

March 12: EP enrollment confirmation received

March 13: Resent AOS packet email as I am confused if they received original since EP enrollment confirmation was received by me after AOS was sent.

March 14: Resent AOS packet as I realized previous two packets had JPEG's in them. This is my first correct packet with all PDF's.

March 17: Resent AOS packet for the 4th time with all PDF's and finally got a confirmation of receipt. This one was the only one sent during "business hours"

March 20: IV Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 24: IV Bill Shows Paid and DS260 Available online

March 25: Supervisor states AOS packet approved

March 27: DS260 & Supporting Documents submitted

April 18: False checklist for IV Packet

May 4: Checklist requesting proof of eligibility (passport or BC). Wrote a nasty note back with a passport attached since they already had both as its part of the IV Packet duh

May 13: NVC Approval Email

Embassy

May 16: Interview Scheduled June 25th

May 28: Medical Exam Completed

June 25: Interview Montreal

Timeline

So up to this point you don't have a domicile issue becauae you live in the US but I don't know how this changes if you no longer have a US address. An address is needed by the time the green card is activated as it needs to be sent somewhere and you don't want to have to deal with it being lost in the mail.

I also hope you are prepared for questions at Canadian immigration. They won't be too happy if they find out you don't have a home in the US.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

So up to this point you don't have a domicile issue becauae you live in the US but I don't know how this changes if you no longer have a US address. An address is needed by the time the green card is activated as it needs to be sent somewhere and you don't want to have to deal with it being lost in the mail.

I also hope you are prepared for questions at Canadian immigration. They won't be too happy if they find out you don't have a home in the US.

I think I got ahead of myself because I dont believe I need to prove domicile. I have a permanent US address and that is the intended address of the immigrant on the DS 260 so when the interview happens they will see the US address and that's that. Technically nothing is changing, I am just going on a 5 month vacation and then returning to California. I just wont be at that address during the interview.

Canadian immigration has never been an issue for me, they are always very friendly in my opinion, even friendlier than the american workers. They are more concerned if I am bringing a gift for my wife than anything and last time I went the girl stopped asking me questions mid sentence when she saw all of the Canada stamps in my passport pages haha.

USCIS

April 9, 2013: NOA 1

Nov. 18: Transferred to Texas

Dec 9: NOA 2

Dec 17: NOA 2 Hard Copy

NVC

Jan 17, 2014: Case received by NVC

Feb. 25: NVC Case# Received

Feb 28: DS-261 Submitted

March 3: AOS Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 6: AOS Bill showing paid

March 6: AOS Packet sent EP (I did not know at the time but 3 attachments were JPEG's, only PDF's are accepted)

March 12: EP enrollment confirmation received

March 13: Resent AOS packet email as I am confused if they received original since EP enrollment confirmation was received by me after AOS was sent.

March 14: Resent AOS packet as I realized previous two packets had JPEG's in them. This is my first correct packet with all PDF's.

March 17: Resent AOS packet for the 4th time with all PDF's and finally got a confirmation of receipt. This one was the only one sent during "business hours"

March 20: IV Bill Invoiced & Paid

March 24: IV Bill Shows Paid and DS260 Available online

March 25: Supervisor states AOS packet approved

March 27: DS260 & Supporting Documents submitted

April 18: False checklist for IV Packet

May 4: Checklist requesting proof of eligibility (passport or BC). Wrote a nasty note back with a passport attached since they already had both as its part of the IV Packet duh

May 13: NVC Approval Email

Embassy

May 16: Interview Scheduled June 25th

May 28: Medical Exam Completed

June 25: Interview Montreal

Timeline

In your first post you said that you won't have an address because why pay rent. This may not be a problem with US as long as you have an address when the green card is activated. But it could be a problem with the Canadians when you enter Canada if it comes to light when you cross the border. Just something to be prepared for as every immigration officer is different.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Just wondering if there is anyone who had an interview with children involved. I have two petitions pending right now, one for spouse and one for stepson. My spouse and I also have two children together who both have CRBA's.

The proof we are providing is :

CRBA for daughter

CRBA for son

Proof of SSN application for son (we should actually have the SSN at the time of interview for both)

Proof of SSN application for daughter

Documents with permanent address

US bank accts being used

Voter registration

Correspondence between schools for children's enrollment

Letter from mother-in-law stating we will be living with her

Moving quote from upack

Moving quote from another moving company

Petitioners newly renewed drivers license

We also plan to start looking for work in the US about a month or so before the interview to show to CO correspondence.

What do you guys think of my list? Sorry if there are o father people in this thread with similar situations as mine that have posted, but there is NO WAY I could read this whole thread. If there are any experiences of people with a situation similar to mine, please let me know.

USCIS 04-26-2014: Filed I-130

04-29-2014: NOA1 re-routed to CSC

05-14-2014: RFE

05-30 2014: RFE response sent

05-30-2014: RFE RESPONSE RECEIVED

06-04-2014: NOA2 I-130 Approved!

NVC

06-13-2014: Arrived at NVC

06-30-2014: Case # and IIN assigned

07-18-2014: D-261 sub mitted

07-18-2014: AOS fee invoiced

07-19-2014: AOS fee paid

07-25-2014: AOS package sent

07-28-2014 NVC received AOS

07-29-2014 NVC Scanned AOS

08-14-2014: resubmitted AOS

08-21-2014: NVC scanned AOS

09-02-2014: DS-261 reviewed and ACCEPTED! Woot!

10-03-2014: DS-260 completed

09-08-2014: IV fee invoiced

09-09-2014: IV fee paid

09-23-2014: AOS Checklist

10-08-2014: IV package scan date

10-10-2014: AOS Checklist scan date

10-23-1014: checklist scan date

12-05-2014: Case Complete

12-12-2014: Interview date scheduled

xx-xx-2014: Sent to embassy in Montreal

01-23-2015: Interview APPROVED!!

xx-xx-2014: Visa Received

xx-xx-2014: POE

CRBA doesn't prove domicile neither does SSN, I wouldn't bother with those.

The rest of the list looks fine, especially if you add the work applications or preferably a job offer letter. (cross yer fingers.)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

CRBA doesn't prove domicile neither does SSN, I wouldn't bother with those.

The rest of the list looks fine, especially if you add the work applications or preferably a job offer letter. (cross yer fingers.)

Thank NLR! We'll also be getting a job offer letter from my husbands fathers company saying he'll be working for him when mine and my sons visas are issued. Does this add icing to the cake?

USCIS 04-26-2014: Filed I-130

04-29-2014: NOA1 re-routed to CSC

05-14-2014: RFE

05-30 2014: RFE response sent

05-30-2014: RFE RESPONSE RECEIVED

06-04-2014: NOA2 I-130 Approved!

NVC

06-13-2014: Arrived at NVC

06-30-2014: Case # and IIN assigned

07-18-2014: D-261 sub mitted

07-18-2014: AOS fee invoiced

07-19-2014: AOS fee paid

07-25-2014: AOS package sent

07-28-2014 NVC received AOS

07-29-2014 NVC Scanned AOS

08-14-2014: resubmitted AOS

08-21-2014: NVC scanned AOS

09-02-2014: DS-261 reviewed and ACCEPTED! Woot!

10-03-2014: DS-260 completed

09-08-2014: IV fee invoiced

09-09-2014: IV fee paid

09-23-2014: AOS Checklist

10-08-2014: IV package scan date

10-10-2014: AOS Checklist scan date

10-23-1014: checklist scan date

12-05-2014: Case Complete

12-12-2014: Interview date scheduled

xx-xx-2014: Sent to embassy in Montreal

01-23-2015: Interview APPROVED!!

xx-xx-2014: Visa Received

xx-xx-2014: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.