trailmix

Proving domicile when not living in the U.S.

990 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Do we need an actual legal US address before we go to the interview? (The obvious answer I know would be yes).

However they tell you not to sell property or make travel arrangements, and we are planning on moving 1500 miles from where we live in Canada. Our home is listed and will be selling soon, and have a closing date after our interview date (June 20th). Would a letter from a real estate agent that we are working with in the area we want to move to be sufficient to show our "intent"

Timeline

Do we need an actual legal US address before we go to the interview? (The obvious answer I know would be yes).

However they tell you not to sell property or make travel arrangements, and we are planning on moving 1500 miles from where we live in Canada. Our home is listed and will be selling soon, and have a closing date after our interview date (June 20th). Would a letter from a real estate agent that we are working with in the area we want to move to be sufficient to show our "intent"

At your interview in Montreal, your first contact is with a person who takes your original docs. They will also go through information that you submitted online. (DS 260?). I was asked if I had an address in the US so I gave the address of the property we had an accepted offer on. For the interview the Con Off wasn't really interested that we were in the process of buying a house but was interested in hubby's job in the US.

When you receive your "do not open" package on the outside is a sheet with your details including your address in the US. I gave the border guard a different address when I crossed the border (yesterday) and she changed it on the package. This is the address where your green card will be sent so if you don't have an address they can't send a green card so you can't have a visa.

I don't know what will happen if you used a PO box number.

The US Government is telling the intending immigrant not to make any arrangements until the visa is granted. There is nothing to stop a USC returning to the US.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

17 Jan 2012 Phoned NVC. Case Number allocated
18 Jan 2012 Emails received re AOS fee and Agent
20 Jan 2012 Electronic opt in email sent & response received
20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
20 Jan 2012 Form DS-261 Choice of agent filed
27 Jan 2012 Email received re choice of agent received. Can now pay IV bill
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
31 Jan 2012 Received written notification case at NVC (dated 18 Jan)
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS
9 Feb 2012 DS-260 submitted online & docs emailed
14 Feb 2012 Case Complete
5 Mar 2012 received email - interview date 10 April
10 Apr 2012 Visa Approved
10 Apr 2012 Email from Loomis - passport picked up from Consulate

June 2012 Moved back to US

Timeline

Got DENIED!!!

Had a letter from the owner of a property we have agreed to rent so that we had a US address and somewhere to go. Had documents showing our house here is sold. Documentation of US bank accounts, a letter from the real estate agent we are working with to buy a permanent home in the state we want to go to. We actually flew out and spent the week before our interview there looking for a home to buy/build with the agent. They still want more Proof. :bonk::ranting::o:no::crying:

Timeline

Hi There Canadian,

I am dual, never lived in the states. I am here in NJ right now. How do you prove domicile?

I need help,

Thanks,

Desperada

Good Question...I thought we had enough...but nope!

After trying it the legal/long/proper way I think it would have been better to just go the unethical route.

If you are the USC save yourself the headache....find a way for your significant other to "visit" you and then go change his status after a month or two. I wish we would have done that. Seems like we tried the legal way and it has at least temporarily backfired....Can you tell I am little bitter!!! :angry::bonk:

Timeline

Got DENIED!!!

Had a letter from the owner of a property we have agreed to rent so that we had a US address and somewhere to go. Had documents showing our house here is sold. Documentation of US bank accounts, a letter from the real estate agent we are working with to buy a permanent home in the state we want to go to. We actually flew out and spent the week before our interview there looking for a home to buy/build with the agent. They still want more Proof. :bonk::ranting::o:no::crying:

Sorry about this. What questions were you asked at the document intake window about address of USC and where you would live and what questions did the Con Off ask? Also what have they suggested you do to prove domicile so you can get your visa?

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Timeline

Sorry about this. What questions were you asked at the document intake window about address of USC and where you would live and what questions did the Con Off ask? Also what have they suggested you do to prove domicile so you can get your visa?

We were asked if we had a US address. Which we did, gave that to them, also gave them a letter from the owner of the home we are going to be renting(the one we gave them as our US address), which also stated how much rent we were going to be paying. Also had a letter from the real estate agent we have been working with who was assisting us in finding a rental. We had all kinds of other documentation too (application for the license needed for my wife to work in Tx as her profession requires licensing), a US bank account which she has, our mortgage and bill of sale as we had just sold our home...

She asked us some dumb questions like when did we get married, meet, etc. and that was about it.

She then did a bunch of typing in and opened my files, then each of my kids, and did more typing...Then proceeded to tell us she is putting our visas on hold.

I think the real killer for us is that neither of us are living there yet, and we do not have jobs waiting for us there yet either. We have sold our home, and anything else we don't want or need. and are taking a nice chunk of change ($70-$80K) and starting over. Basically looks like my wife is going to have to load up our stuff and go without us and then send in more documentation.

The CO basically said she wanted more documentation of domicile, I guess my wife should have changed over her drivers license from Ontario to TX and maybe that would have been enough? The CO was really pushing the "having a job" thing with us. She also tried to tell us we needed a joint sponsor and then later pulled back on that as we told her we had enough assets and had the proof of it.

She then handed us a couple of photocopied sheets with a form letter, and some type of instructions on it, circled the domicile section on it and said to send in more documents via courier.

Timeline

From what I've been reading lately it seems that Montreal wants the USC or even the immigrant to have a job if the USC is not already domiciled. Domicile is one of those areas that different countries can use their judgement in what is required.

At our interview the Con Off was only interested in hubby's job in the US. Although we had sent the letter in with the I-864 I had an extra copy with me and showed it the Con Off.

Looks like your wife is goign to have to get everything changed to your new address to show that she is domiciled in the US. Good luck.

1 Dec 2011 Mailed I-130
8 Dec 2011 NOA 1
20 Dec 2011 NOA 2

NVC

20 Jan 2012 AOS fee paid
29 Jan 2012 IV bill paid
8 Feb 2012 Emailed AOS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is scary! To think that they would deny a Canadian. I suppose it makes sense with no income or previously liquid assets tied up in real estate. I'm sorry you're going through all of this #######, Gitmeouttahere. I hope it's over for you soon!

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you so much for this guide, I just read through it and I have a few questions.

1) This entire time, before I read the guide, I was under the impression that after they received my packet 3, they would schedule a medical and interview for me. I guess this is not true, I have to definitely schedule them on my own?

2) Can I schedule my medical now? Or do I wait under they receive my packet 3?

3) At my Medical, does the doctor send anything to the consulate? Is there anything I should ask/do?

4) I know I need a police record check for my interview. I went to the police station here in Ottawa, and got one the same day. It's just a form I filled out and the office filled out the last part, stamped it and printed a reciept on it. It's titled Ottawa Records Check and it says "This is to confirm that no criminal convictions nor outstanding charges have been found in the Canadian National Repository of Criminal Records as a result of a search based on the above name and date of birth. The search has not been confirmed by fingerprints." Is this all I need? I was expecting to have to way to get a records check in the mail, but instead I just got this paper when I went in. I'm a bit worried that it's not good enough.

5) My Package 3 was send out to me on June 15, I haven't received it yet. It's ok for me to send in Package 3 regardless of whether I got it in the mail right? (I just want to make sure, I know others have done this)

6) I don't get the whole registering for DHL thing, what is this for and how do I do it?

Sorry for all my questions, I get answers to questions only to have 100 more pop up.

Our K-1 Visa Process

2011-12-12: I-129F Sent

2011-12-14: I-129F NOA1

2012-05-07: I-129F NOA2

2012-05-21: NVC Received

2012-06-14: Consulate Received

2012-07-03: Packet 3 Received

2012-07-04: Packet 3 Sent

2012-07-06: Packet 4 Received (Through e-mail only)

2012-07-10: Medical Date

2012-07-13: Medical Results in hand

2012-07-23: Interview Date APPROVED!

2012-07-31: Visa in hand!

2012-08-14: POE Toronto Airport - HOME!

2012-09-12: MARRIED!

2013-06-28: AOS approved! Waiting on the green card to be mailed!

pixel15.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Wrong thread sorry!! Not sure how I did that lol

Our K-1 Visa Process

2011-12-12: I-129F Sent

2011-12-14: I-129F NOA1

2012-05-07: I-129F NOA2

2012-05-21: NVC Received

2012-06-14: Consulate Received

2012-07-03: Packet 3 Received

2012-07-04: Packet 3 Sent

2012-07-06: Packet 4 Received (Through e-mail only)

2012-07-10: Medical Date

2012-07-13: Medical Results in hand

2012-07-23: Interview Date APPROVED!

2012-07-31: Visa in hand!

2012-08-14: POE Toronto Airport - HOME!

2012-09-12: MARRIED!

2013-06-28: AOS approved! Waiting on the green card to be mailed!

pixel15.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

with 18 pages of posts... I really don't have the patience or the time to read through them all and from the brief scanning I've done it's all for cr1 so I'm sorry in advance :)

I'm going through the K1 and on the package 3 it does request this... since I obviously don't have my name on anything at this moment how do I provide evidence of domicile?

the only thing that I can think of is showing copies of his utilities, rental agreement etc...

now that i've typed this out, I feel like I've answered my own question... I guess I just want to make sure that this is correct so that I can get those copies...

thanks in advance

:)

Timeline

If you are the USC and have copies of utility bills and a rental agreement, then I think you would be fine.

Unfortunately at the time all we had was a hand written document showing the address and price agreed upon for rent from the landlord.

Now we actually have an 18 page "legal" rental document with all the signatures and initials in all the right places, also my sponsor now has the drivers license for the state we are moving to, and a document showing we have registered utilities for the address.

We are couriering all the documents and stuff to MTL on Monday so I hope that will be enough.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We sent a photocopy of our car title that we bought when we went to the US in September. Also a SSN letter when my wife changed her name in January and a bank statement from her US account. Still they sent us a RFE to be prepared for the interview. They completed our case but we need to provide proof of US Domicile at the interview. If we add her Driver's License to these documentation will that work?

I can't think of more documentation that we can add to what we already provided.

Service Center : California Service Center (CSC)

Marriage: 2011-12-29 in Salt Lake City, UT - USA

2012-07-18: I-130 Sent

2012-07-25: USCIS Received

2012-07-26: I-130 NOA1

2012-08-06: I-130 Approved (11 days)

2012-08-23: NVC Received (17 days)

2012-08-25: Return Completed DS-3032

2012-09-04: Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill

2012-09-04: Pay I-864 Bill

2012-09-06: Receive I-864 Package

2012-09-06: Received IV Bill

2012-09-07: Pay IV Bill

2012-09-12: Return Completed I-864

2012-09-12: IV Packet Sent

2012-09-20: AOS RFE

2012-09-22: AOS RFE Sent (from US - scanned)

2012-09-24: AOS RFE Sent (from BR - originals)

2012-09-24: IV Accepted

2012-10-04: AOS RFE (to be presented at interview)

2012-10-04: Case Completed at NVC(42 Days)

2012-10-12: Received Instruction Package

2012-11-30: Interview Date

2012-11-30: Interview Result: APPROVED

2012-12-04: Visa Received

2012-12-12: US Entry

2012-12-22: SSN Received

2013-01-02: Greencard Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.