lizandpat

Any Dutch/American couples??

1,881 posts in this topic

I am a person that likes to keep things as simple as possible. Maybe I will just apply for US citizenship and "forget" about my Dutch passport. hmmmz another thing to think about...

tcwlm5.png

Proud mommy of Ryker Johannes, born 2 March '09

and our little angel baby Skyler David who was born "asleep" on 7 July '10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

REALLY???? WHO???? hehehehehehe

Hmmmmmm....I keep forgetting their names.....starts with a P and a J I think.... :whistle::unsure::devil:

Hugs, Liz

**AOS Timeline**

Filed: 02-12-2010

Recv'd in Chicago: 02-15-2010

Email Confirmation Recv'd: 02-23-2010

Online status available: 02-24-2010

Money Orders cashed: 02-24-2010 (Finally!!)

NOA1's (AOS/EAD) recv'd: 02-25-2010 (dated 02-23-2010)

"Touch" on AOS/EAD: 2-26-2010 (Biometrics maybe???)

Biometrics: 3-24-2010 Walk-in successful Biometrics completed 3-11-2010!!

CASE TRANSFERRED TO CSC - 3-10-2010 (WOOHOO!!)

"Touches" on AOS/EAD 3 days in a row! 3-10-10, 3-11-10 & 3-12-10!

Email from USCIS stating case rec'd at CSC - 3-17-10

Another touch on I-485! - 3-17-10

Touch on I-485 - 3-18-10

EAD card ordered: 04-29-2010 (FINALLY!!)

EAD card rec'd FINALLY! - 05/22/2010

Interview: N/A

Approved with green card ordered: 09-20-2010

Timeline

Morning! Just wanted to stop in and say a quick Hi!

I won't be online much the next couple of days...Jessie has her procedure tomorrow and then we're possibly going to my sisters on Friday. If I don't make it back before the weekend, I hope everyone has a wonderful one and a Happy Easter!

Hugs, Liz

**AOS Timeline**

Touch on I-485 - 3-18-10

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Morning! Just wanted to stop in and say a quick Hi!

I won't be online much the next couple of days...Jessie has her procedure tomorrow and then we're possibly going to my sisters on Friday. If I don't make it back before the weekend, I hope everyone has a wonderful one and a Happy Easter!

Hope everything goes well with the procedure! Have a Happy Easter as well!

Our Time Line

129-F

Lifting Conditions

2/19/2013 -- Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

2/21/2013 -- package received by VSC

2/27-2013 -- NOA-1

3/22/2013 -- Biometrics

ok, just suppose, I want to return to the Netherlands.

What are my rights, how fast will I get a house.

I mean, you all know I don't have a job or a house here.

Lived from my savings for some time, so that is gone.

But still, how would thing be if i wanted to go back?

Hi Peet,

Not sure if I understand your question right, but I have been looking into moving back home since things haven't been to easy. I have a job which I really don't like, but don't seem to be able to get something else, and also going back to school hasn't worked out well since they don't transfer my BSc degree and would have to start all over again (and it's soooo expensive here).

It is no problem for the Dutch citizen to move back home. I haven't looked into it, but I imagine it would be hard to get a mortgage for a house right away unless you have a job. You could rent something to get started... To have a US citizen move back with you might be a little more complicated. You need to have a steady job above a certain income level. More information about that you can find on the IND-site.

For now I just have been trying to apply for jobs back home to see if something opens up there. I don't know what field you're looking at, but also in the Netherlands things have went down after the economy went down.

Letty

May 18, 2007 ... Married in the Netherlands

May 16, 2008 ... Entered USA

February 13, 2010 ... mailed I-751

February 16, 2010 ... 3.43 pm I-751 delivered

February 18, 2010 ... check cashed[/color]

February 24, 2010 ... received NOA dated 02/17/2010

March 4, 2010 ... received Bio letter

March 15, 2010 ... bio appointment

March 16, 2010 ... touch

May 12, 2010 ... card production ordered

June 1, 2010 ... card production ordered text message (again)

June 7, 2010 ... received green card

February 15, 2011 ... mailed N400

February 17, 2011 ... N400 delivered

February 18, 2011 ... check cashed

February 22, 2011 ... NOA dated

March 24, 2011 ... bio in Houston

May 20, 2011 ... interview San Antonio

June 30, 2011 ... oath ceremony Bryan

Timeline

Well, this is a hard one...I'm not positive but I would think that it would really depend on what resources you have available. I mean, if you go back nad instantly have a job and can have money coming in to buy/rent a house then I'm sure you could find something fairly quick. Otherwise, it would be a matter of finding a place to stay, getting a job, saving money...etc.

I hope that everything is ok, Peet.....you have me a bit worried... :unsure:

Hugs, Liz

**AOS Timeline**

Touch on I-485 - 3-18-10

Timeline

From what I know, the Netherlands does not allow duel citizenship. You either have to be a Dutch citizen, or a U.S. citizen; can't be both as they require you to pledge your allegiance to just them. Now, as a U.S. citizen, we are allowed duel citizenship if we so please.

Also, I know from experience that it is extremely difficult to move to the Netherlands if you are not a citizen... Before we started this visa process, Johnny and I were going to just have me move to the Netherlands; needless to say that did not work out. If you thought getting here was hard, try getting into the Netherlands when you A)are not a member of the EU, or B)a member of any other country; it's twice, if not three times, as hard.

Timeline

On another note, Johnny got his work permit.... but no green card. They officially have ONE week before their 6 weeks are up. By one week we should either receive the green card, or an interview date. If that week goes by and we don't hear anything, you better bet we'll be talking to USCIS; and they will not like what I have to say. :P

From what I know, the Netherlands does not allow duel citizenship. You either have to be a Dutch citizen, or a U.S. citizen; can't be both as they require you to pledge your allegiance to just them. Now, as a U.S. citizen, we are allowed duel citizenship if we so please. NOT TRUE

Also, I know from experience that it is extremely difficult to move to the Netherlands if you are not a citizen... Before we started this visa process, Johnny and I were going to just have me move to the Netherlands; needless to say that did not work out. If you thought getting here was hard, try getting into the Netherlands when you A)are not a member of the EU, or B)a member of any other country; it's twice, if not three times, as hard.

Sorry LindseyJohnnyK, but I have to correct you on this one! It's NOT true that Dutch citizens can't have dual citizenship. You can look up the information on the site of the Dutch embassy in the USA:

Dutch citizens who voluntarily acquire another nationality

Under the amended Nationality Act of 1 April 2003, anyone who voluntarily acquires the nationality of another country will lose their Dutch nationality, except in the following cases:

if you were born in the country of your other nationality and are living there when you acquire the nationality of that country

if, before you turned 18, you lived in the country of your other nationality for an uninterrupted period of five years

if you are married to a person who possesses the nationality you wish to acquire

I completely agree that it is hard to move the the Netherlands if you're not a citizen (that is why we ended up here). I think for the Dutch citizen it's hard to get a life started there again (finding a job, house, etc)

Letty

May 18, 2007 ... Married in the Netherlands

May 16, 2008 ... Entered USA

February 13, 2010 ... mailed I-751

February 16, 2010 ... 3.43 pm I-751 delivered

February 18, 2010 ... check cashed[/color]

February 24, 2010 ... received NOA dated 02/17/2010

March 4, 2010 ... received Bio letter

March 15, 2010 ... bio appointment

March 16, 2010 ... touch

May 12, 2010 ... card production ordered

June 1, 2010 ... card production ordered text message (again)

June 7, 2010 ... received green card

February 15, 2011 ... mailed N400

February 17, 2011 ... N400 delivered

February 18, 2011 ... check cashed

February 22, 2011 ... NOA dated

March 24, 2011 ... bio in Houston

May 20, 2011 ... interview San Antonio

June 30, 2011 ... oath ceremony Bryan

Don't worry Liz, just a "just in case" question.

I had been reading another part of this board.

And I started wondering, what if some day you decided, or had to pack your bags, marriage didn't work out or you can't find your ways here and your SA doesn't want to leave. So, you hop on a plane and go back.

In my case, I have nothing, no money, no job.

Can't imagine how that would work out and how welcome you would be to apply for a rented house and if you would be eligible for unemployment.

I mean, we all know it happens, or is this just my age showing?

Timeline

Don't worry Liz, just a "just in case" question.

I had been reading another part of this board.

And I started wondering, what if some day you decided, or had to pack your bags, marriage didn't work out or you can't find your ways here and your SA doesn't want to leave. So, you hop on a plane and go back.

In my case, I have nothing, no money, no job.

Can't imagine how that would work out and how welcome you would be to apply for a rented house and if you would be eligible for unemployment.

I mean, we all know it happens, or is this just my age showing?

Oh ok...PHEW! LOL! Glad to hear it's just a hypothetical question!!

I know what you mean...it's not just your age...lol! I found my self in a similar position a few years ago when I seperated from my ex husband. I had my job but other than that I had nothing. My daughter and I had to move in with my parents for a while until I could afford a place of our own. I look back now and I'm sure that the only reason I stayed in the marriage as long as I did was because I was scared of trying to make it on my own. It all worked out though!

Hugs, Liz

**AOS Timeline**

Touch on I-485 - 3-18-10

Timeline

Sorry LindseyJohnnyK, but I have to correct you on this one! It's NOT true that Dutch citizens can't have dual citizenship. You can look up the information on the site of the Dutch embassy in the USA:

Dutch citizens who voluntarily acquire another nationality

Under the amended Nationality Act of 1 April 2003, anyone who voluntarily acquires the nationality of another country will lose their Dutch nationality, except in the following cases:

if you were born in the country of your other nationality and are living there when you acquire the nationality of that country

if, before you turned 18, you lived in the country of your other nationality for an uninterrupted period of five years

if you are married to a person who possesses the nationality you wish to acquire

I completely agree that it is hard to move the the Netherlands if you're not a citizen (that is why we ended up here). I think for the Dutch citizen it's hard to get a life started there again (finding a job, house, etc)

Letty

I wasn't aware of the exception of marriage, else I wouldn't have stated that Dutch citizens cannot acquire duel citizenship.

I'm pretty sure Johnny doesn't wish to keep his Dutch citizenship, he hates it over there. I wouldn't mind if he kept it, it would be easier for us to travel, move there if we so wish, for our children to gain duel citizenship, etc. I do not foresee us ever moving to the Netherlands though, too expensive and we are both just too used to the "American" way of things. [He lived in the US for seven years, it's how I met him]

Timeline

Hey All! Hope all is well! Still no word from our I-129F but I am trying to get things together for our packet 3 which of course leads to QUESTIONS! Just one for now... On the DS-156k there's a part that says to include proof of financial support. I thought the I-134 was for the interview with all the tax forms, letters from employers and what not. Can someone please clarify what finacial support needs to be sent it for packet 3 for me? I've attempted looking it up but people from different consulates say it varies.

Also, the evidence of an engagment, that's just the updated letters of intent correct?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE! I'm sooooo happy I have people who have been through this through Amsterdam before! so helpful :D

Our Time Line

129-F

Lifting Conditions

2/19/2013 -- Sent I-751 to Vermont Service Center

2/21/2013 -- package received by VSC

2/27-2013 -- NOA-1

3/22/2013 -- Biometrics

Timeline

Hi!

I think for us, we just sent in a letter from my employer stating what my title is, how much I make and how long I have worked there. Then I filled in all the questions about my assets and so on. I didn't really include much more documentation than that. The more detailed documentation is required for your AOS though.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.