candyace

Dual Citizenship?

65 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
That's not really the point. Yeah, there's a border and it's enforced, but all I was getting at was Ontario and New York seem similar in attitudes and perception. In some ways, Texas and Alberta seem similar too. They don't share a border. It's all about how the majority tends to think. ;)

So you have lived in Texas and Alberta long enough to observe how the majority think in those two places and draw parallels? <_<

If so, how do the majority tend to think in those two places, in your opinion?

I love hypocrisy. I really do. It's so cute.

Seriously... almost every time I make a statement about Canada, someone chimes in with a snide comment about how long I've been living in Canada. Apparently, I am unfit to make any opinion on Canada.

Yet somehow, every Canadian is more than qualified to comment on the United States, no matter how long they've been there. They could've been in the U.S. for a month or 10 years. It doesn't seem to matter.

I can't be the only one who sees how ludicrous that is, can I? If those here can comment on the U.S. (and it's usually negative commentary, I might add), then why the hell can't I do the same about Canada?

I did decide to move to Canada, after all. If those who moved to the U.S. see themselves as fit to state opinions on the country, then I am just as entitled to do the same. ;)

Besides... if you need reassurance for some reason or another, most of my ideas have been formed by my wife, who's lived the vast majority of her life in Alberta and has visited Texas many times. So I think she'd be more than qualified, wouldn't you?

Edited by DeadPoolX

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, alright. Now now, my children. Deadpool, you do have every right to comment on Canada..although it is rarely positive and we love our dear country so much that we hope that one day you can enjoy it.

And you are right...we often say negative things about the US to I guess express how we are feeling in the moment. But I can honestly say in the last 6 months, my feelings about being here have gotten a lot better and I don't fall into depressions about missing home.

But alas, what I said on the previous page I think most every one can agree with. I lived with someone from Alberta for a long time and we got to see each other's points of views. I think I can honestly say, with the rest of people from Ontario here, that we don't feel superior to any other Canadian in any other province.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I tend to try and not post as much as other on here mostly cause well i suck at putting things into words that make sense and i can't spell worth beans too. I do tend to read alot of the post though. And I have noticed how sometimes we here in the Canada forum get frustrated and post our complaints on the stuff we dont like and can't get used too here in the US. I also read post from you Deadpool about your complaints of Canada. Yes we all of our problems in either country adn yes its all our own appinoins of whats our problem for the day/week ect.

But I wanted to say alot of the tension you feel your getting on your complaints of how you been through ####### in Canada is not much different then the way you go after ppl for their complaints of the US. I think it maybe your tone in your post wether your posting about Canada or the US. When I (my personal opinion) read some of the post you make I fell like your getting on your high horse cause you feel your so much better then everyone else and you and only can be right. Again this is just how i read some of your post. I try to help out with things i know abit about and just read stuff i'm not sure and let other comment cause sometimes I just dont know the right way to say it.

Anyways the way you compared NY to Ontario was kinda weird cause I lived all my life in Ontario and I really dont see how you figure they are alike, or even Texas and Alberta. Do they have simalar things in each of the places sure they do are they different hell yes. Theres a saying if you look for the bad long enough soon thats all you will see.

Ok hope i made sense.

As for dual citizenship I am still having issues with it not so much about wether i can have both but the fact that only 2 of my kids will get it automatically and the other 2 will have to wait another 2 yrs to get in on their own so not sure what i want to do. I also worry a bit with this ####### of having them put their names on that registry thing for the draft thing that they say will never happen again so if it wont happend why force ppl to register. Anyways thats another topic all together.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Timeline

The formerly nice thing about the Canada Forum was that the Canadians could come here to talk about the emigration and adjustment process and the things they miss back home without the Americans getting upset thinking it's a purposeful dig at them and/or their country. It's not and it isn't. It's just a way for us to vent without having to defend our feelings and to get a hug and a pat from those who understand. We don't hate the US and we don't hate its people. We just get frustrated by some things and some situations.

DeadPoolX, there is no post that you don't make which isn't a lecture or a dig on how ignorant, ill-informed, or stupid we are, and how much more knowledgeable you are than anyone else. We have been "listening" to your holier-than-thou posts for two years now and, for some of us, it's wearing thin. I think we've been admirably restrained and forgiving and I don't blame anyone for showing a little irritation at long last. Especially to someone who is not even on the same journey. Your posts would probably find better reception at a US-to-Canada immigration board.

For the record.... I believe New York and Ontario are nothing alike, and neither do I believe that they feel they are the centre of the universe. But I see who this statement comes from and do not assign it much weight.

iagree.gif

Timeline

My opinions are just that -- opinions. Just as most of you find life more comfortable in Canada, so do I in the United States. Maybe you love your country. So do I. Maybe you'd never have left Canada if not for your spouse. I wouldn't have left the U.S. if not for my spouse, either.

It's very difficult for me to see every other post in this forum when it's some form of condemnation for the country I grew up in and admittedly love (it seems the reverse is true, as well). I'll freely admit that I like Canada. It's not home, however. It never will be and as much as I might try to become settled here, I can't deny the fact that I would rather live in the United States.

Perhaps that's difficult for some to understand here. Apparently, all I do is lecture and tell everyone how ignorant, ill-informed or stupid they are. I find that somewhat surprising, but everyone has their own interpretation. Often I feel it's the other way around. There are many comments I would love to make, but I keep them in-check. If I had wanted to insult any here, believe me, I could (and would) do so. Considering my own irritation with some individuals in this forum, it's amazing I've been as "admirably restrained and forgiving" as some have claimed to be with me.

What truly interests me is the so-called ideal behind this forum. As far as I knew, the Canadian forum is for any and all people who have some family-oriented business in Canada. My wife is a Canadian citizen, therefore that acknowledges me the right to post here. Whether or not anyone agrees with my statements is another matter. I don't agree with many comments made here and I make that known. So what? I know others here do not agree with me. They have made that glaringly obvious.

As Krikit made quite clear in her diatribe towards me, "We don't hate the US and we don't hate its people. We just get frustrated by some things and some situations." It is the same for me, only the other way around. I don't hate Canada, but I do get frustrated with some things and some situations. If any group of people could understand how it feels to be uprooted from one country to another, I'd have imagined those on VJ would.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well if it's anything, I consider the US my home. And love it more then I ever tolerated Canada.

Ok who ever guessed I'd say something like that ha ha.

Anyways on to something more serious, in Ontario I never felt connected to New Yorkers, but kind of more closer to Ohio since another portion of the province borders Michigan as well. I hated New York, but tollerated Michigan a lot more. Though just across the border in Ohio I thought people didn't talk as funny and they seemed much more similar.

When living there Ontario was the only province there was, you'd think a bit about yeah we could be our own country. I personally didn't even think anything of any of the other provinces, though many would say that British Colombia was the 2nd to Ontario and the rest all fell under the 'other' catagory. No wonder people hate Ontario people in other places...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
When living there Ontario was the only province there was, you'd think a bit about yeah we could be our own country. I personally didn't even think anything of any of the other provinces, though many would say that British Colombia was the 2nd to Ontario and the rest all fell under the 'other' catagory. No wonder people hate Ontario people in other places...

This doesn't make sense at all, no offense. Since when am I personally hated by another Canadian because I'm from Ontario? :lol:

Can we stop this discussion? It is completely frivolous. Kritkit, I agree with some of what you said. Deadpool, I also agree with some of the things you said. But at the end of the day it's about 500 to 1, you know? You are the only one here regularly that has done things the other way, so there is no one to back you up. When flying solo, it's sort of hard to hold much weight at times. This is a website about immigrating to the US, after all. I'm not discounting your journey, I'm just saying that this website is set up on the basis of US immigration so talking about immigrating to another country is sort of off topic in general. Not to mention, immigrating to our country which we love. If you came in here and talked about immigrating to Germany and what it was like, we would probably be a lot more willing to accept your opinions.

As krikit says, this is a place for Canadians immigration tot he US to vent about their worries, concerns, issues, etc. So of course you are going to see a lot of negative things about the US because 99% of us are in the same process.

You are the 1%, you know?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

True Amanda, this conversation is going nowhere - however - I want to make a point and a point to you in particular Deadpool.

I personally try not to generalize when I speak about Canada and the U.S., this has nothing to do with anyone else in this forum. When people generalize the conversation normally quickly degenerates in to a slanging match and a 'back that up with some facts' match.

My remark was neither snide nor hypocritical - when you speak to me I would prefer if you speak to me directly - rather than pinning your ideas of what others may have said on me.

I stand behind what I said.

Quite frankly, since we are laying it out on the table here, when I read your negative posts about Canada what I also hear is an almost forced outrage, like you are trying to drum up emotion on subjects that you know will rankle in the forum.

Do you have a right to be in this forum? Of course you do, it is a public forum, however if you wander in to a CANADA forum and take swipes at Canada, do not feign surprise when your comments are not given a warm reception. You are not from Canada, you do not understand the experience of people here and you never will (just as I do not understand your experience of Canada).

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

This doesn't make sense at all, no offense. Since when am I personally hated by another Canadian because I'm from Ontario? :lol:

Makes perfect sence when talking to people from other provinces. I have been told that by friends that were from British Colombia, cousins in Alberta and family in Saskatchewan and Manitoba that they do not like people from Ontario and resent them for their mentality of 'we're the country'. I'm sure the french provinces aren't too fond of Ontario people either especially Quebec...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline
Do you have a right to be in this forum? Of course you do, it is a public forum, however if you wander in to a CANADA forum and take swipes at Canada, do not feign surprise when your comments are not given a warm reception. You are not from Canada, you do not understand the experience of people here and you never will (just as I do not understand your experience of Canada).

So essentially, you (and every other Canadian here) can say whatever you want about the U.S. (awful or not), while I am not permitted to do the same about Canada? :blink:

Honestly, I could say the exact same thing about how "you are not from the United States." I often find many comments here insulting, most resulting from an overall lack of knowledge and unrealistic expectations. Granted, I'm guilty of this as well.

However, I can't see why others here are allowed to do or say what they please, while I am not. Most of my negative commentary has revolved around the incredible screw ups that I've endured from the Canadian government. I won't say that the U.S. government is perfect (it's not and it never will be), but I find it ludicrous that my name has been incorrectly documented (and all attempts to correct it have been denied), I had to pay a fee to get my SIN card fixed and it took three months to receive my PR Card, which was due to it getting lost the first time around.

Would anyone else here even stop for a moment to complain about the U.S government if something like that occurred? I doubt it. In fact, I'll bet those mistakes have already happened and someone has complained.

Apparently, my issues with Canada are irrelevant and considering unworthy of consideration, while whatever is said about the U.S. is perfectly okay. How is that fair at all? :huh:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So essentially, you (and every other Canadian here) can say whatever you want about the U.S. (awful or not), while I am not permitted to do the same about Canada? :blink:

Honestly, I could say the exact same thing about how "you are not from the United States." I often find many comments here insulting, most resulting from an overall lack of knowledge and unrealistic expectations. Granted, I'm guilty of this as well.

However, I can't see why others here are allowed to do or say what they please, while I am not. Most of my negative commentary has revolved around the incredible screw ups that I've endured from the Canadian government. I won't say that the U.S. government is perfect (it's not and it never will be), but I find it ludicrous that my name has been incorrectly documented (and all attempts to correct it have been denied), I had to pay a fee to get my SIN card fixed and it took three months to receive my PR Card, which was due to it getting lost the first time around.

Would anyone else here even stop for a moment to complain about the U.S government if something like that occurred? I doubt it. In fact, I'll bet those mistakes have already happened and someone has complained.

Apparently, my issues with Canada are irrelevant and considering unworthy of consideration, while whatever is said about the U.S. is perfectly okay. How is that fair at all? :huh:

You are reading what I said Deadpool but you are not considering it.

I explicitly said that, of course, you have every right to post here - no one has said that you are not permitted to post whatever you like, slam Canada, slam the Government of Canada, slam the health system, slam the way they drive - say whatever you like - we are not censors.

My point was, and I believe it was quite clear - is that if you chose to do that, do not expect a warm reception in a forum full of Canadians - is that so hard to understand?

Oh and I think it was quite nice that this time you said "I often find many comments here insulting, most resulting from an overall lack of knowledge and unrealistic expectations". - Rather than just calling everyone ignorant - which seems to be one of your favorite terms.

You do know that not all people are 'ignorant' because they don't share your point of view - I hope.

Timeline

Makes perfect sence when talking to people from other provinces. I have been told that by friends that were from British Colombia, cousins in Alberta and family in Saskatchewan and Manitoba that they do not like people from Ontario and resent them for their mentality of 'we're the country'. I'm sure the french provinces aren't too fond of Ontario people either especially Quebec...

The same attitude can also be seen in the Maritimes a bit, we don't like being treated like the backwards cousins by the "Upper Canadians" -- whether that is a fair presumption or not!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.