Danno

An ounce of prevention

53 posts in this topic

It's not much of a competition when you're shooting and they're not!

I think you underestimate the number of gun owners in CA. I don't know the exact numbers, but once you move away from the coast, California has a LOT of likely gun owners. And a lot of liberals such as myself are gun owners. If it really came down to having to hunt your own food, it would not be pretty.

I know there are a lot of gun owners in CA. Way more than what the media likes to talk about and what the hippies in govt. out there are comfortable with. And if it came down to hunting for your own food, it wouldn't be pretty. But, it would be a lot easier with a gun than without one. It would also be a lot easier if you had a team of gunowners working together. Owning a pistol does make you a gun owner, and it will make it easier for you to acquire food, but owning a rifle would make it easier still. Team up with two or three other rifle owners and you probably won't go hungry for a long, long time.

Like I keep saying, if your job is reasonably secure and you can pay the bills, ignore the situation. It will eventually improve on its own. You can dig a bigger fallout shelter if it amuses you - but you won't need it because of this.

That pretty much sums up my feelings too. People were building bomb shelters and stocking up on ammunition for y2k, and it proved unnecessary. Giving in to the hysteria just eats up a lot of time, energy, and money that could be better spent IMO.

I'm somewhat in agreement with you guys in that there's no need to buy into media hysterics. However, there are some good common sense disaster preparedness steps that can be taken and among those are owning and being proficient in the use of a good battle rifle and having enough ammo on hand to overcome whatever adversity may prompt you to use one.

Do I have thousands of rounds of ammo sitting in my bomb shelter? No. But, I have a good rifle, enough ammo to get me by, and enough food and water to sustain myself and my wife until some semblance of order is reestablished.

I assume that in a week or so after the end begins Californians will just begin eating each other. :D

That is a very likely scenario. They'll definitely be killing each other. There are some pretty large cities out there so no doubt there will be food available for several weeks but in some places it's not unlikely that man will be on the menu. Oh, no wait a minute, I forgot.... CA will be under water. So that's why they don't need guns! Ok. Better to buy a life jacket. Or maybe a dinghy!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I assume that in a week or so after the end begins Californians will just begin eating each other. :D

actually, i saw something like that on a faces of death movie. someone donated their body to some cult in cali and part of their rituals was to eat that person :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
I know there are a lot of gun owners in CA. Way more than what the media likes to talk about and what the hippies in govt. out there are comfortable with. And if it came down to hunting for your own food, it wouldn't be pretty. But, it would be a lot easier with a gun than without one. It would also be a lot easier if you had a team of gunowners working together. Owning a pistol does make you a gun owner, and it will make it easier for you to acquire food, but owning a rifle would make it easier still. Team up with two or three other rifle owners and you probably won't go hungry for a long, long time.

i am thinking that you saying having a pistol will make it easier for you to acquire food means being able to acquire it from other people?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Timeline
i am thinking that you saying having a pistol will make it easier for you to acquire food means being able to acquire it from other people?

No I believe he's saying that having a pistol means you can fashion a crude mold with wet sand, melt the pistol down and pour into the mold, then using a stone file fashion a sharp edge on your new knife. You can then use this knife for a variety of reasons such as close quarters hand to hand fighting, skinning rabbits, placing in your teeth while swinging on vines, or open the tough resistant packaging on pre-holocaust DVD's that you scrounged from the Circuit City after dodging the radioactive mutant "dweller" population.

Slim I'm starting to see your point about outsiders. Some of them seem more interested in upping their post counts through the use of inane and pointless jabber than actually participating in any real and meaningful way. These kinds of people have no interest in actually cultivating any friendship or relationship with these communities, they're just there to fulfill their own selfish need for attention.

On the subject of keeping a minimum level of supplies on hand, I'm with you there. I used to keep a minimum number of supplies too (canned food, fresh water, etc) to last about 2 weeks if necessary. I should probably start doing that again.

actually, i saw something like that on a faces of death movie. someone donated their body to some cult in cali and part of their rituals was to eat that person :blink:

There you have it!!

Slim I'm starting to see your point about outsiders. Some of them seem more interested in upping their post counts through the use of inane and pointless jabber than actually participating in any real and meaningful way. These kinds of people have no interest in actually cultivating any friendship or relationship with these communities, they're just there to fulfill their own selfish need for attention.

On the subject of keeping a minimum level of supplies on hand, I'm with you there. I used to keep a minimum number of supplies too (canned food, fresh water, etc) to last about 2 weeks if necessary. I should probably start doing that again.

I just raise my post count by making drive by congrats. I like to spread the joy. :devil:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

That's right! :thumbs:

As far as boosting post counts, the drive-by smiley is way quicker!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

That's right! :thumbs:

As far as boosting post counts, the drive-by smiley is way quicker!

the Introducing our Members is a good forum for that :D

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

:dance:

Русский форум член.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I look at being armed as "insurance".

IN all probability, we will never see such times nation wide but as we have seen it in places before.. we will no doubt see it again; Bad economy or good!

Depending on where you live, determines the need one might have for it.

If in a more urban area, being able to protect your food or other things might be a greater need than anything else.

I just recently found out you can buy ammunition on-line.

When the Obama inspired preemptive shoppers.... cool their heels, I may stock up on some rounds for the SKS. Right now they are selling out.

It's a reasonably priced round and a fun gun to shoot, so why not.

My other fun-gun is this old pump 22 gallery style gun. After I bought that, I quit lugging my shotgun when rabbit hunting. Sure there is a greater chance for a miss but it ups the "sport" part of it.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

I will agree that to an extent, your neighbors dictate what you need to be armed against, however, if you live in America, anywhere in America, you should own a rifle for nothing more than to preserve your 2nd Amendment rights and guarantee the existence of the other rights. Without an armed population, the vote is merely symbolic. Without arms, the govt only operates on the suggestions of the people, not the will of the people.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Timeline
I will agree that to an extent, your neighbors dictate what you need to be armed against, however, if you live in America, anywhere in America, you should own a rifle for nothing more than to preserve your 2nd Amendment rights and guarantee the existence of the other rights. Without an armed population, the vote is merely symbolic. Without arms, the govt only operates on the suggestions of the people, not the will of the people.

100% agreed in principle (as we've discussed before) but I really like the convenience of a pistol. I live in a small apartment and don't really have a way that I'd feel comfortable with storing a rifle without taking up a lot of space. I've got a biometric pistol safe that's easily stashed out of sight and yet allows instant access. If you've got any suggestions on something that doesn't take up a lot of room and isn't heavier than a damned pickup (I have stairs) to stow a rifle I'm all ears.

Timeline
I look at being armed as "insurance".

IN all probability, we will never see such times nation wide but as we have seen it in places before.. we will no doubt see it again; Bad economy or good!

If in a more urban area, being able to protect your food or other things might be a greater need than anything else.

I just recently found out you can buy ammunition on-line.

When the Obama inspired preemptive shoppers.... cool their heels, I may stock up on some rounds for the SKS. Right now they are selling out.

It's a reasonably priced round and a fun gun to shoot, so why not.

My other fun-gun is this old pump 22 gallery style gun. After I bought that, I quit lugging my shotgun when rabbit hunting. Sure there is a greater chance for a miss but it ups the "sport" part of it.

quite true, i've been checking into increasing my stockage. it's amazing how expensive ammo is nowadays. :blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Recessions and depressions are common place for countries. About every decade, a recession occurs, because there is something in the market that requires a 'correction'. This time, the market correction was the real estate market.

The economy here in the USA is not bad. I am not going to imply it is great, but it isn't bad either. It's exactly what I expect it to look like in a recession.

There is nothing happening in our economy that has not happened before. And just like before, the recession will end, and we will have have growth again. And 10-15 years from that point, we will have another recession ect.

If your wondering what gun you should purchase for the purposes of self-defense (from looters, thieves and eventually gangs in the event a economic collapse) and acquisition of food (killing small and moderate sized game) I would highly recommend a shotgun. Of course, I would recommend the 12 gauge, as it is the most commonly used shotgun and the ammo for it is plentiful and cheap (for shotgun ammo). I would also highly recommend you use #4 buckshot. It will drop any intruder, as well as small to moderate sized animals.

To be honest, I think the best thing to do in any recession or economic downturn is to reduce the amount of debt you owe.

Nick

I-129F mailed to VSC - 08/27/08

I-129F recieved at VSC - 08/28/08

Check Cleared - 09/02/08 (Case number on back of check, never mailed me NOA1)

Touched - 09/03/08

Touched - 09/23/08

Touched - 09/24/08 (I think it relates to my change of address request)

Approval notice - 02/26/09 (updated timeline)

Approval Hardcopy - 03/05/09

Left NVC - 03/05/2009

Interview - 05/19/2009

Entered USA- 08/03/2009

P.O.E. - Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/freethinkers

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.