Leyla

Christmas in MENA in the USA

38 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

So I was just wondering what ya'll do. I was planning on Celebrating Christmas. I don't celebrate for religious reasons anyway. I've always celebrated with family for secular reasons. What does your MENA man think about Christmas?

12531741_bodyshot_300x400.gif6783001_bodyshot_300x400.gif

th_Photo234.jpgth_n12419841_46691023_7582.jpgth_n12419841_46531579_2583.jpgth_n12419841_45773452_4168.jpg

th_l_c84498a71b1eeba4d00cd9963dd0a85a.gif

kb7wan37jt.png

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Eat halal chinese food and watch a movie. We're grinches.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Im excited that Adam is here with me for Christmas this year! Our first Thanksgiving and Christmas in the US together!!! :luv: This will be Adams first year to be allowed to celebrate it! I will be off work for two days during Christmas. I will cook the traditional meals, and decorate the house.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

My husband and I are still working that out. I still have my old Christmas decorations that I haven't used in years from when I was Christian. I thought of throwing them out, but it was my husband who stopped me. Though his parents didn't do it, he does have some family who put up a Christmas tree in their homes (yes, in Iraq and they are muslim). I'll have to wait and see if I do it this year as my husband will probably not be here, but my father is here and may want one.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

Ok my question for you S & S is this, Im having a real hard time deciding on what to do about a tree since we have 2 cats, one naughty and one nice :) I dont know if we should get a real tree or an artificial one. I *want real but we are afraid the naughty male cat may pee on it, around it or near it just bcz of the smell of a real tree. I dont really want an artificial tree of course bcz I like the real thing and I dont have alot of room to store it afterwards. Since you have a cat too, what do you think the chances are of making a mess out of a real tree?

Timeline

Our little Arab American family is spending this Christmas together but separate. I know his Christmas is really EID and every year he gets sick from starving and has to take injections. :( I still plan to put up my little table top college gal Christmas tree but there will be no presents under it. I stopped practicing that a long time ago when I couldn't afford to buy presents.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

OH and I forgot to mention about the fake snow around whatever tree I decide... having my naughty cat would be pointless putting cotton snow on the ground.. thats a pee spot for sure! grrrrr !

Filed: Timeline

:dance: Decorating our home for many reasons. It's my hubby's birthday and my father and some of our family still celebrate Christmas. Cooking traditional foods plus a little mix of the ME! Our family is a mix of Muslim/Jewish/Christian so there is great respect and observance on all sides. A melting pot we are! :star:

We just got our new prelit xmas tree (Its SO cute!) and I can't wait to have it up and decorated. We will do it on Thanksgiving Day with our guests! We are hosting Thanksgiving this year at our new home and have many people coming. Everyone was instructed to bring a decoration for the tree (handmade is wonderful too!). We are also having a "desert night" that evening and invited our friends/neighbors around the area and they too were told about our tree many of them offered to bring something as well! I can't wait...should be so fun!! :dance::D

Timeline
Ok my question for you S & S is this, Im having a real hard time deciding on what to do about a tree since we have 2 cats, one naughty and one nice :) I dont know if we should get a real tree or an artificial one. I *want real but we are afraid the naughty male cat may pee on it, around it or near it just bcz of the smell of a real tree. I dont really want an artificial tree of course bcz I like the real thing and I dont have alot of room to store it afterwards. Since you have a cat too, what do you think the chances are of making a mess out of a real tree?

I've had cats my whole life (males and females) and dealth with them during Christmas time so yeah, I know the difficulties you may face, lol. My first question is if your male cat is neutered and if so was it done when he was young or older. The reason for this is that male cats that are nuetered at a young age tend to not pee in the house. Once they are older the habit has already been formed so they may still do it even after being nuetered. I've never had a cat pee on a Christmas tree before though so you should be safe there. The two biggest problems you will face is their attempt to climb the tree and attack the decorations. The answer to the tree climbing problem is to face the fact you can't stop them all the time. Find the most sturdy tree stand possible and a real tree is fine as it is heavier and sturdier as well and less likely to be knocked over if you secure it well. As for the decorations. They best thing you can do is keep most of them on the higher branches. The lights they shouldn't bother so you can spread them all over. If you do chose a real tree (which are my favorite too) then also be prepared for them to drink the tree's water so you will have to add it more often, lol. These are my basic suggestions, if I think of more I'll let you know.

As an edit- Fake snow with cats........... bad idea! lol

Edited by S and S

Timeline

the male cat is 14 lbs already and hes only 8 months old! Hes an eater and mischievious. Hes not nuteured yet, but he should be! I hear its expensive!

Well, Im hoping the price of a real tree isnt too expensive bcz I really would like that! Im even going to decorate the outside balcony patio of our apartment for christmas too. Im excited!

Timeline
the male cat is 14 lbs already and hes only 8 months old! Hes an eater and mischievious. Hes not nuteured yet, but he should be! I hear its expensive!

Well, Im hoping the price of a real tree isnt too expensive bcz I really would like that! Im even going to decorate the outside balcony patio of our apartment for christmas too. Im excited!

Its not that expensive to nueter him. Call around and you will get different prices from each vet. Male cats are cheaper since it is less invasive. You could possibly get it done for $60 though I'm not familiar with your local cost of living. I lived in California for awhile and even there it wasn't more than $85 if I recall correctly for a male cat.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm like Nawal...we have a mixed religious family so last year we celebrated it with all of us like we always do! Christmas is a secular holiday for my family anyway but we always had a tree, presents, decorations, and traditional foods from our heritage every year anyway! So my husband was fine with attending and participating in our Christmas celebrations last year. We even went to a Chanukkah party together. A party is a party imo, it isn't going to church or something that might make someone more uncomfortable.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well we re going to visit my inlaws in Vegas this december; they re muslim they dont celebrate it but it will be nice to see the whole city lit up for christmas and ppl out celebrating it will be so much fun for me and EID will be around that time too so we will have traditional family dinner insha Allah :D i cant wait i think it will be so much fun i havent seen my inlaws since my wedding thats a yr and 5 months!!

lyrics.jpg

Timeline

I was lucky to have the chance to spend 2 Christmas holidays in Egypt with Wael. He surprised me with decorations and a tree! This will be his 2nd Christmas in the states and he is excited again.

We will be away 4 days over Thanksgiving and already he is waiting for turkey and all the

trimmings!! He really gets into all of the holidays.

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.