EdwardK

I used a immigration lawyer, was told checking my status might cause delays

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This lawyer has had experience with Afghanistan K1 Visa applications. In fact I spoke to about 10 other lawyers until I found one that had experience (and proof) of past successful cases with Afghanistan.

I'm not sure why she didn't want me to check the status of my petition. Her reasoning seemed kinda bogus. Which is why I'm somewhat worried, I'm checking it once I get off work tonight.

Thanks for all the help.

Edward, is your lawyer at least knowledgable with the process in Afghanistan? The complications your cousin spoke of were most likely AP or AR (administrative processing/review). This is something very common with certain Embassy's. Having a lawyer with specific knowledge of that Country/Embassy is what is most important as it's the initial denial and/or AP/AR that seems to cause most of the wait in those places.

It's also important know that there are security checks at every stage of this process and that each couple's circumstances/names/dates..etc, etc.. can all be very different and can all cause delay's in the process.

It is a good thing you are building up ways to show proof of your bonafide relationship. I hope the process goes smoothly for you from here. :)

Good post. It is vital to know what experience a lawyer has with a certain country, especially the difficult ones. My guess is if they siad that about case status online, they aren't very experienced at all, let alone with a difficult country. They probably heard Afghanistan and their eyes lit up with dollar signs.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

It sounds like you really did your research Edward...good for you!

I would probably question your lawyer's intention in giving you false information the next time you speak just to be clear on the subject. I can't imagnie what good she thought it would do to tell you such a thing.

Unfortunately, we've heard so many lawyer horror stories here that many of us get suspicious when a post like this comes up.

You may want to fill in your timeline then check your portals link and the regional forums and Embassy info/reviews here for others who have brought their fiance over from Afghanistan. Perhaps you will get some pointers that will save you some time and grief in the future.

Good luck to you!

timeline.jpg

Okay this might seem kind of strange. I wanted the immigration process to go as smooth as possible, so I dished out about $3.5k for a good immigration lawyer. I'm bringing my fiance over from Afghanistan and was afraid that there would be complications due to it being wartime.

I called up my lawyer today and asked to be given the my case number so I can check the status online. She gladly gave it to me but told me not to check the site that often as it could cause delays. When I asked her why, she said that since the case is filed under their office, every outside inquiry can cause delays because the immigration center would need to follow up on outside inquiries.

Anyone else heard of this?

So far the only thing I know is my processing check of $455 has been cashed by immigration (on August 9th) from my bank statement and that I'm still waiting.

Thanks.

This lawyer is crazy. I checked my case online at least 10 times per day when I was waiting for the approval. Don't pay attention to him. :wacko:

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Okay this might seem kind of strange. I wanted the immigration process to go as smooth as possible, so I dished out about $3.5k for a good immigration lawyer. I'm bringing my fiance over from Afghanistan and was afraid that there would be complications due to it being wartime.

I called up my lawyer today and asked to be given the my case number so I can check the status online. She gladly gave it to me but told me not to check the site that often as it could cause delays. When I asked her why, she said that since the case is filed under their office, every outside inquiry can cause delays because the immigration center would need to follow up on outside inquiries.

So far the only thing I know is my processing check of $455 has been cashed by immigration (on August 9th) from my bank statement and that I'm still waiting.

Thanks.

I would never waste the money on an immigration lawyer unless you run into a legal issue, first. The lawyers I saw show up at the USCIS office looked like ambulance chasers. If you follow the govts instructions, and wait, things will go fine. I checked status many, many times. It slows nothing down.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ouch, 3.5K? I called an immigration lawyer up for a free telephone consult, and after the call I really thought he was full of #######.

He told me that if I come into the states from Canada (Im a Canadian citizen) and decide to marry my fiance while visiting, I can stay in the US until my interview at the embassy, and apply for a work permit while in the states by adjusting my status (huh? how, without no visa and just being there as a visitor).

After him, Im very leary on hiring a lawyer... never know if it will take longer then it has to..

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
Edward, is your lawyer at least knowledgable with the process in Afghanistan? The complications your cousin spoke of were most likely AP or AR (administrative processing/review). This is something very common with certain Embassy's. Having a lawyer with specific knowledge of that Country/Embassy is what is most important as it's the initial denial and/or AP/AR that seems to cause most of the wait in those places.

It's also important know that there are security checks at every stage of this process and that each couple's circumstances/names/dates..etc, etc.. can all be very different and can all cause delay's in the process.

It is a good thing you are building up ways to show proof of your bonafide relationship. I hope the process goes smoothly for you from here. :)

Kim brings up a very good point on the basis of choosing a lawyer. I used one who was familiar with Morocco (I had my own set of issues to overcome and even if I had found visajourney BEFORE I filed I most likely would have retained an atty anyways).

As for the checks of the website for status, like the others said, hogwash. Once I realized I could check it more than once a day, I checked it twice a day, and then as the time got closer for an expected approval (watching other cases that had filed around the same time as me) I checked it so often I think the system started smoking! Besides, it sounds like a receptionist vs the actual lawyer told you that, right? eegads.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Thanks.

I don't believe in this day and age people still waste such amount of money to pay lawyers to handle immigration matters that they can EASILY handled themselves/??????Bizarre......Tell your lawyer that I SAID SHE IS LIE TO YOU OK ..She is already worried that you knowing up the date information on your case will indirectly means no opportunity to rip you off as they usually do especially on immigration cases ... I know a lot of immigrants who have been dealt with by rip off lawyers.... With the amount of immigration information on the net today, I really see no good reasons for you taking the lawyer route .Don't get me wrong, Lawyers can be necessary in complicated immigration matters like deportation, change of status if your illegal etc but not on filing for a k1 visa... Not with the amount of information that can easily found on the net about Immigration matters.....

To make answer short, your lawyer is not being honest to you....She wants to be in control of your file 100% which is not advisable ..You need to also know whats going on with your file anytime you deem necessary not through her all the time ok.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

I don't believe in this day and age people still waste such amount of money to pay lawyers to handle immigration matters that they can EASILY handled themselves/??????Bizarre......Tell your lawyer that I SAID SHE IS LIE TO YOU OK ..She is already worried that you knowing up the date information on your case will indirectly means no opportunity to rip you off as they usually do especially on immigration cases ... I know a lot of immigrants who have been dealt with by rip off lawyers.... With the amount of immigration information on the net today, I really see no good reasons for you taking the lawyer route .Don't get me wrong, Lawyers can be necessary in complicated immigration matters like deportation, change of status if your illegal etc but not on filing for a k1 visa... Not with the amount of information that can easily found on the net about Immigration matters.....

To make answer short, your lawyer is not being honest to you....She wants to be in control of your file 100% which is not advisable ..You need to also know whats going on with your file anytime you deem necessary not through her all the time ok.

"To Each his Own" relax! everything will be ok :thumbs:

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.