EdwardK

I used a immigration lawyer, was told checking my status might cause delays

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay this might seem kind of strange. I wanted the immigration process to go as smooth as possible, so I dished out about $3.5k for a good immigration lawyer. I'm bringing my fiance over from Afghanistan and was afraid that there would be complications due to it being wartime.

I called up my lawyer today and asked to be given the my case number so I can check the status online. She gladly gave it to me but told me not to check the site that often as it could cause delays. When I asked her why, she said that since the case is filed under their office, every outside inquiry can cause delays because the immigration center would need to follow up on outside inquiries.

Anyone else heard of this?

So far the only thing I know is my processing check of $455 has been cashed by immigration (on August 9th) from my bank statement and that I'm still waiting.

Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

$3.5k???? :o Ouch!

Umm all you're checking is a database... you're not making an inquiry. Even if you were calling the 'misinformation line' to talk to someone, you would most likely be given the standard 'you are within processing times'.

I'm sorry...sounds like she's talking out her @ss.

timeline.jpg

Umm all you're checking is a database... you're not making an inquiry. Even if you were calling the 'misinformation line' to talk to someone, you would most likely be given the standard 'you are within processing times'.

Totally agree with Kim. she seems to be blowing off youknowhat from her youknowwhat.

Timeline

If you filed at VSC you should have a case number that starts with EAC, if at CSC then your number will start with WAC.

Register as a user at the USCIS.gov website with this number. Your lawyer is able to register as a representative.

Once registered, you can add tons of case numbers to you file if you wish, even if theyr'e not yours ... so if what she said is true I think we'd all be in trouble. ;)

I would have some serious questions for my attorney for giving such advice ...especially after paying that amount of money for this process.

good luck to you

btw... the online database seems to be having some serious issues as of late so don't worry too much if it doesn't come up with what you're looking for. ;)

timeline.jpg

Your "immigration" lawyer is full of ####### and doesn't have a clue....

1. They don't have any idea how often you check the site. The best thing to do, with your case number, is create your own account by entering the case number on the USCIS main page. When it jumps to the next screen - click on "register" on the lower left. Register your case and you will get automatic updates to your email address when the case status changes. You can also tell when your file is "touched" if the status date changes in your account.

2. USCIS doesn't follow up on ANYTHING anyway, and you do not have access to any of the service centers

3. If checking status created delays, we would have NEVER been processed and approved (laughing, i bet we're not the only ones who can claim that)

Good luck on your journey!

Okay this might seem kind of strange. I wanted the immigration process to go as smooth as possible, so I dished out about $3.5k for a good immigration lawyer. I'm bringing my fiance over from Afghanistan and was afraid that there would be complications due to it being wartime.

I called up my lawyer today and asked to be given the my case number so I can check the status online. She gladly gave it to me but told me not to check the site that often as it could cause delays. When I asked her why, she said that since the case is filed under their office, every outside inquiry can cause delays because the immigration center would need to follow up on outside inquiries.

Anyone else heard of this?

So far the only thing I know is my processing check of $455 has been cashed by immigration (on August 9th) from my bank statement and that I'm still waiting.

Thanks.

i don't get it.

Did you not do any research on Visa's.

Were you not aware of Visa Journey.

Lawyers have their time and place, and a good lawyer can do wonders for criminal or domestic case.

3.5 K could of went toward a car for your fiance, or education or anything for you as couple.

Wow, I didn't know a lawyer would charge that much money to fill out paperwork.

Edited by tallcoolone

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Did you not do any research on Visa's.

Were you not aware of Visa Journey.

Lawyers have their time and place, and a good lawyer can do wonders for criminal or domestic case.

3.5 K could of went toward a car for your fiance, or education or anything for you as couple.

Wow, I didn't know a lawyer would charge that much money to fill out paperwork.

Haha, agreed! I've heard of lawyers charging in the 1K range, but never that much! OUCH! And yes, go ahead and check your status, it wont cause any delays. You will also get an e-mail when you are approved which is nice!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

If your lawyer is anything like mine, be prepared for excessive delays, and incompetence. As well as outright lies. The latest was sending me an email telling me they had already mailed documents to me, and then not actually sending them for another week. This is one of about 20 mistakes so far. Thank god, now that I have these documents, I am officially done with them. (unless I get an RFE at NVC)

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

The amount of times i checked my status with the uscis websites...if it caused delays I would still be waiting ..some days I checked it morning noon and night!

Sounds like the lawyer is trying to keep an element of "mystery" to the K1 immigration - after all just think if people started to think they could do it themselves !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

:rofl: im sorry for laughing kim but normally i dont see a post like that from u lol

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We used a lawyer, the only thing that delayed our petition was when we have to send the documents we had to send it first to our lawyer and wait until he send it to USCIS yaaayyyy!

But checking the USCIS website did not do harm on our petition at all.

Actually, after our approval, we did it on our own and never ever contacted our lawyer, and after I got approved from the interview, the lawyer emailed us asking if we already have an interview date LOL

Ohhh one thing I remember, there is this typical message immigrant lawyers tells to their clients after you get your approval from USCIS, they will email you to wait for 2 months until USCIS finish some reviews and so, but guess what, after 11 days our petition was already sent to the USEM here and was able to have my interview schedule immediately hehehe!

Good luck! (by the way we don't want to regret getting a lawyer although it did not help that much, but if we pay the amount you paid, we might be regretting by now LOL)...

For we walk by faith, not by sight.

II Corinthians 5:7

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to go with an immigration laywer because of the complications that came up due to the fact that Afghanistan has been in conflict and turmoil. My cousin went through the K1 visa about 3 years ago from the same country and complications caused delays and their overall process took over 19 months. So I figured I'd get a lawyer and play it safe.

I figured I'd share some complications we faced during the filing process so far:

- Due to the many years of conflict and constant change in government, there was no actual record of her in the

government (so getting identification, birth certificates, school records etc was a huge hassle). We tried for 2 months to find any record of her for identification but with no luck. During the war, government buildings which held these kinds of files were constant areas of conflicts, bombings and fires.

- The Afghanistan embassy does not offer interviews or files visa so it has to be done in another country's embassy. This made it complicated as she didn't have a passport to travel from Afghanistan to another country for the interview. The fact that there wasn't any record of her in the government is making this a costly and time consuming process. We are still fighting for her to get a native passport.

- There was concern on showing proof of contact. We can't write letters back and forth because she doesn't know English and I only know how to speak Farsi (not write) so letters and email were not an option. Their area's phone line and cell towers were damaged so phone calls are not an option. The only way are able to speak each day is if she takes a 45 minute drive getting to the city where there were some internet cafe sites and we can speak through yahoo messenger or skype. Thankfully, they moved to a better area within the past month where phone lines work. But a few months ago I had no idea how to show the any proof of correspondence.

I took a little over two months after getting back to the United States until we were able to gather enough of her information to fill out the packet properly.

Edited by EdwardK

Timeline

:rofl: im sorry for laughing kim but normally i dont see a post like that from u lol

angelhorns.gif

timeline.jpg

Timeline

Edward, is your lawyer at least knowledgable with the process in Afghanistan? The complications your cousin spoke of were most likely AP or AR (administrative processing/review). This is something very common with certain Embassy's. Having a lawyer with specific knowledge of that Country/Embassy is what is most important as it's the initial denial and/or AP/AR that seems to cause most of the wait in those places.

It's also important know that there are security checks at every stage of this process and that each couple's circumstances/names/dates..etc, etc.. can all be very different and can all cause delay's in the process.

It is a good thing you are building up ways to show proof of your bonafide relationship. I hope the process goes smoothly for you from here. :)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.