• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

what is "meskina" (used by hanging in there). :unsure:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

:secret: i have no earthly idea.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Timeline
Sorry, I forgot to select quote Narina, but is your origins somewhere in Turkey?

No, I am not Turkish. Circassians do not come from Turkey. Our homeland is the Caucasus Mountains of modern day Russia. However, most live in diaspora and are in the Middle East now. You can look it up on Wikepedia. They actually have a very good write up on the history of our people.

You might be thinking about the "Circassian beauties" who were kidnapped and/or purchased by Sultans during the time of the Ottoman empire. They were highly coveted for their beauty. They were caught and sold at slave markets oftentimes at prices thousands of times higher than any other women. Turkish Sultans wanted them for their harems. Many of them gave birth to the future Sultans of Turkey. Even the British and Americans wrote about it and marketed beauty products bearing the Circassian name.

You were born in the US. The Caucasus Mountains are not your homeland.

You're really obsessed with this beauty thing. Why is that?

Aww...it's true though. Most foreign women don't get any dowry. Lisa honey, you're gorgeous though, you could have asked for anything and I'm sure he and his family would have paid it. And that's not to say he loves you only because you're beautiful...I know you're a complete sweetheart too.

Please use the correct term. You're confusing people.

A dowry (also known as trousseau or tocher) is the money, goods, or estate that a woman brings to her soon to be husband in marriage.[1] Compare bride price, which is paid to the bride's parents, and dower, which is property settled on the bride herself by the groom at the time of marriage. The same culture may simultaneously practice both dowry and bride price. Many cultures had dowries prior to any existing records.

Dower or morning gift (Latin doarium, or Latinized Germanic morganaticum; Fr. douaire, German Morgengabe) was a provision accorded by law to a wife for her support in the event that she should survive her husband (i.e., become a widow). It was settled on the bride by agreement at the time of the wedding, or provided by law. ("Settled" here refers to a gift into trust.)

Mahr (Arabic: مهر‎; also transliterated mehr, meher, or mahrieh) is a gift, mandatory in Islam, which is given by the groom to the bride upon marriage in Islamic cultures.[1] (in contrast to other cultures' bride price, which is paid to the bride's father). It is considered to be a form of appreciation, as well as providing certain guarantees for the woman.

The gift can be intangible or negligible, it can take the form investments or real property. The mahr may also be divided into portions, one to be given to the bride at marriage, the other to be given to the wife if she is widowed or divorced. It should be given according to the social status of the bride.[2]

Islamic scholars consider it as a way of emphasizing the importance of the marriage contract and preparing the husband to fulfill his marital responsibilities.[3] It also can be a form of protection against arbitrary divorce.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

"destitute/poor" in contemporary Eastern Assyrian

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

That is one translation used. I call my husband maskeen all the time and he agrees though we mean it like "Oh poor baby", not as being broke poor.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Very good Platy.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Very good Platy.

I iz the interbutts search guru!

:P

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

That is one translation used. I call my husband maskeen all the time and he agrees though we mean it like "Oh poor baby", not as being broke poor.

both correct! :thumbs:

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

both correct! :thumbs:

lol, those 45 college hours of arabic come in handy!

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Very good Platy.

I iz the interbutts search guru!

:P

the Definition by Platy... Im sure it was either googled or quoted from someone on Expats :lol:

http://www.christiansofiraq.com/assy3.html

Edited by PlatyPius

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.