canadianroots75

A Canadian/US baby

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi NewOrleansBound,

I agree with you there. Lol..on the other hand, applying for a Canadian citizenship card is easier than getting a Canadian passport for Canadians who are already Citizens...go figure....

Makes no sense at all, really, in terms of the way the Canadian citizenship and immigration officials handle paperwork. Funny, how things make no sense on this side of the border either, in terms of dealing the the USCIS....oh well..that's the way it is with the government, regardless of country...a big long waiting game...grrrr....

And yes, do update us all here as to how quickly you get your daughter's citizenship certificate. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been waiting so far, and how long do you expect to be waiting still?

Good luck on the rest of your US immigration and baby Canadian citizenship journey too....

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

I think there needs to be an easier way to apply for Canadian citizenship for babies! I finally filled out all the stupid paper work and now I wait. I'll let you guys know how quickly we get her citizenship certificate.

I haven't been waiting all that long. I sent of the paperwork this week. I was told it would be around 6 months. I personally feel that we shouldn't have to go through all of this but the government needs to get their $$$ out of us. I need a citizenship certificate inorder to get a SIN number for the baby. My parents have started and education fund and I have a year from the time they open the account to get a SIN number or less my parnets lose the funds. Yikes. That's why I have my fingers crossed and have said a few prayers.

Married August 21 2004 in Nova Scotia!

October 19/04 sent I-130.

April 17/08 finally arrive back in New Orleans after 3 years and 8 months.

May 19/08 Perm Resident Card arrives.

July 24/08 Reapply for a new SS card with married name.

August 4/08 Baby daughter born.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi NewOrleansBound,

Thanks for your reply. Good luck on getting your baby's Canadian Citizenship Certificate soon, in the 6 month timeframe that they said you would receive it in. I agree, that you shouldn’t have to pay extra for a Citizenship Certificate for your baby, nor should you have to wait that long for it. Oh well, it could be worse though, as there are other immigration processes in Canada and in the USA that costs more money, have a longer waiting time, and are even more completed to complete. So in that sense, for your baby to get Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the best way to go for them to have Canadian Citizenship.

As for your parents’ education fund for your baby, have you also considered asking them to get an American education fund instead or in addition to the Canadian one, as your baby is living here in the USA now, and more likely than not will study here in the USA in the future too? As well, you might not have to worry about it as much later on down the road if you get an American education fund, for example, in converting Canadian funds to American funds or whether or not the school will accept those funds as forms of tuition payment.

Good luck with your baby’s Canadian Citizenship and good luck with the rest of your US immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby…)

I haven't been waiting all that long. I sent of the paperwork this week. I was told it would be around 6 months. I personally feel that we shouldn't have to go through all of this but the government needs to get their $$$ out of us. I need a citizenship certificate inorder to get a SIN number for the baby. My parents have started and education fund and I have a year from the time they open the account to get a SIN number or less my parnets lose the funds. Yikes. That's why I have my fingers crossed and have said a few prayers.
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi NewOrleansBound,

Thanks for your reply. Good luck on getting your baby's Canadian Citizenship Certificate soon, in the 6 month timeframe that they said you would receive it in. I agree, that you shouldn’t have to pay extra for a Citizenship Certificate for your baby, nor should you have to wait that long for it. Oh well, it could be worse though, as there are other immigration processes in Canada and in the USA that costs more money, have a longer waiting time, and are even more completed to complete. So in that sense, for your baby to get Canadian Citizenship Certificate is the best way to go for them to have Canadian Citizenship.

As for your parents’ education fund for your baby, have you also considered asking them to get an American education fund instead or in addition to the Canadian one, as your baby is living here in the USA now, and more likely than not will study here in the USA in the future too? As well, you might not have to worry about it as much later on down the road if you get an American education fund, for example, in converting Canadian funds to American funds or whether or not the school will accept those funds as forms of tuition payment.

Good luck with your baby’s Canadian Citizenship and good luck with the rest of your US immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby…)

i hope for her to study in canada

Married August 21 2004 in Nova Scotia!

October 19/04 sent I-130.

April 17/08 finally arrive back in New Orleans after 3 years and 8 months.

May 19/08 Perm Resident Card arrives.

July 24/08 Reapply for a new SS card with married name.

August 4/08 Baby daughter born.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi NewOrleansBound,

Ahh...now I see why you and your parents would like to set up a Canadian education fund instead of an American one for your daughter. It would make sense, as...

i hope for her to study in canada

Sorry for the misunderstanding there, as I just assumed that since your baby is born in America that they would study in America too. I guess not then. Oh well, in the end though, regardless of where and what your daughter studies, as long as they are happy with their educational pursuits, then that's all that matters in the end.

Meanwhile, I think it's a good idea that you and your parents set up this education fund for them, as that's one less financial worry they have to think about when they are studying.

Good luck on getting your daughter's Canadian Citizenship card soon. And good luck too, on the rest of your American immigration journey.

Ant (Still waiting at the VSC, Still waiting for Baby...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.